Viofo A139 pro // 1ch // Wifi // Wifi Station-mode // Name and Password

I have station mode working as well and it is nice that it defaults to being on if you set it that way. I would add my vote to the request for app access so you can manage settings this way as well. I'm going to see about writing a script so once it sees the device it will automatically pull / sync the files when I get home (seems that it stays on while in parking mode so that helps).

Would also be nice to have some security around station mode, you can just browse to the device and access the data without any prompting. Especially if it is enabled to be able to change settings from this mode.

An additional nice thing about this type of configuration is that with newer cars that have wireless android auto or carplay, you can't connect to the dashcam unless you disconnect from the car. So if I'm able to access the content after the car is parked and it is connected to my home wifi it helps dealing with that issue.

After enabling this I was disappointed to see that when the dashcam loses connection with the AP (driving away from house) after a while it will disable station mode. You have to push the buttons again to turn it back on. Was hoping it would just stay in that mode and reconnect when I got home….

Hello Mtnears,

i never came across this issue, so i tested that today and can confirm your observation. Highly annoying. I opened up a ticket regarding that and asked for a choice being implemented in the app to set Wifi to "always ON", be it AP- or station-mode. Please consider to join that request by a similar ticket of yours.

Hello Mtnears,

i never came across this issue, so i tested that today and can confirm your observation. Highly annoying. I opened up a ticket regarding that and asked for a choice being implemented in the app to set Wifi to "always ON", be it AP- or station-mode. Please consider to join that request by a similar ticket of yours.
Where does one submit or pile on to a ticket? And thanks for confirming. It is weird though, I'm pretty sure I heard it activate again without me pressing the buttons, but then it didn't later. I have the voice prompts on all the time now so I'll be listening for it....

Where does one submit or pile on to a ticket? And thanks for confirming. It is weird though, I'm pretty sure I heard it activate again without me pressing the buttons, but then it didn't later. I have the voice prompts on all the time now so I'll be listening for it....

No, never activated again. When Wifi was disconnected in station-mode, station-mode was gone. Activating Wifi again puts you on standard AP-mode. I never heard the women living in the camera saying "Wifi station-mode disabled" ...

>>> Ticket <<<

No, never activated again. When Wifi was disconnected in station-mode, station-mode was gone. Activating Wifi again puts you on standard AP-mode. I never heard the women living in the camera saying "Wifi station-mode disabled" ...

>>> Ticket <<<
I heard the woman say that station mode was disabled, that's what triggered me looking deeper.

Hello Mtnears.

Mtnears: "I heard the woman say that station mode was disabled, [...]"

Odd. Maybe your women is more advanced. Or simply more chatty. Tell us when she wants you to buy her expensive shoes, ... or get rid of your present wife ... Oo

Hello Mtnears.

Odd. Maybe your women is more advanced. Or simply more chatty. Tell us when she wants you to buy her expensive shoes, ... or get rid of your present wife ... Oo
The response to my ticket states it shuts down after 10 minutes. Keeping it on, searching for a connection will make the camera too hot.

I’m not sure how it does not get too hot staying connected in station mode while parked at my house.

The response to my ticket states it shuts down after 10 minutes. Keeping it on, searching for a connection will make the camera too hot.

I’m not sure how it does not get too hot staying connected in station mode while parked at my house.
I gave them a couple of suggestions. Including when it switches to Parking mode turn on WiFi (station mode or regular) and let it search for a connection again for a few minutes. If it happens, great. If not, turn off WiFi again.

Hello Mtnears.

280423: support told camera with wifi permanently ON can cosume more power, get too hot. If i could accept that, they would release a custom firmware for me that keeps wifi always ON [quote:"[...] we can make a special firmware to make the camera not turn off wifi automatically if you do not connect it within 10 minutes, and make it always on. Do you need this?"] I affirmed i would like to test that, yes. Last incoming from their side was of today, telling they keep me posted [on that custom build i guess?)].

My problem with that `too hot`-argument: Wifi was active on my camera several times for several hours continuously (connected) PLUS recording PLUS streaming PLUS max. res. PLUS max. bitrate PLUS camera not in perfect vent position (lying flat on it´s belly without the kangoroo-pouch of the gps).

Never experienced a suicidal toaster. Just the standard handwarmer ...

While leaving the wifi on all the time, if there is a connection, is an easy way to do it. For my specific use case I'd be fine with it staying on for a period of time (maybe that can be a setting). Once the system is connected to the home "station" or network, a script could be run to pull the files from the dashcam and then store them locally or in cloud storage. Once the files are copied, there is no need to keep wifi on at that point, it wouldn't be a very long process to copy / sync those files.

I'm going to give Station Mode a shot. Can any one tell me does it work on the same band as the phone connected wifi is on or is it always on one band or the other? Ie can my phone connect on 5GHz because it's close and Home Station to 2.4GHz because it's not so close?

How about connecting to a phone Hot Spot? Anyone? FWIW my phone does have 2 wifi radios and can run concurrently. I'm thinking this could be good for testing.

I'm going to give Station Mode a shot. Can any one tell me does it work on the same band as the phone connected wifi is on or is it always on one band or the other? Ie can my phone connect on 5GHz because it's close and Home Station to 2.4GHz because it's not so close?

How about connecting to a phone Hot Spot? Anyone? FWIW my phone does have 2 wifi radios and can run concurrently. I'm thinking this could be good for testing.
It can connect with the phone hot spot.

So what is the point of this? I actually would like come clarity. There is nothing in the manual. I would love to make a video about this but this is starting to feel like a feature GNET made that they never really explained properly.

So what is the point of this? I actually would like come clarity. There is nothing in the manual. I would love to make a video about this but this is starting to feel like a feature GNET made that they never really explained properly.
Since the distance to connect to the wifi is limited, you cannot connect to the wifi if your car is far away from home or your phone. Unless your car is parked in the garage within 10 meters from the hotpot, and you can connect to the hotpot successfully, then you can monitor your car through your phone at home. So we have not highlighted this feature.

Since the distance to connect to the wifi is limited, you cannot connect to the wifi if your car is far away from home or your phone. Unless your car is parked in the garage within 10 meters from the hotpot, and you can connect to the hotpot successfully, then you can monitor your car through your phone at home. So we have not highlighted this feature.
We have 5 Wi-Fi Routers in our house and 1 of them is within 10 metres for sure.

Back