Viofo A229 Pro (unboxing & first impressions) (Novatek NT96529, Sony IMX678/IMX675/IMX307, HDR³, GPS⁴, 5Ghz WiFi, 4k front + 2k rear + 1080p cabin)

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai A510 + S500, A229 Pro + VS1, N4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3
After re-igniting my love of dash cameras with my earlier thoughts on the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro, this time I've got the Viofo A229 Pro to check out. There are plenty of well-written reviews from the big boys here on DCT, so I won't bore you with the exact specifications and bitrates and the like, but offer up my experiences here in Australia with the newest @viofo flagship. Will also try my best to look at the device through the lens of a first-time dashcam buyer and what they may go through when setting up for the first time.

I am greeted by the now-iconic white (with highlights of red) boxing from Viofo, along with the nice embossed red hexagon patterns on the box-covering insert. Upon lifting the box, the usual written materials and warnings are contained within before reaching the cameras themselves. My first impression is that the main unit is a chonky boy; substantial yet feeling well-built. The rear and interior cameras are also nestled safely in foam, with the remainder of the box load-out housing a black plastic pry tool, electrostatic films for mounting, spare 3M VHB adhesives and the all-important CPL filter. I did have a quiet chuckle to myself as I see that Viofo has included a clear diagram showing the correct installation orientations for the dashcam wiring - it looks exactly the same as what Vantrue did with their N4 Pro - not sure who copied who first lol.

Coming from my last Viofo, the A119 v3, the bigger 2.4inch IPS LCD unit on the main unit is a welcome step-up and I like the inclusion of protective glass on top to avoid the screen being exposed directly. There are plenty of ventilation slits on the sides of the unit to draw heat away from the unit (as it will be processing a three-channel stream with 4K and 2K video), and I find these are styled nicely. All in all, the units feel smooth to the touch with no rough-cut edges, a definite upgrade in build quality from my previous jaunts with Viofo. I see that Viofo has moved from coaxial cables to a 3.5mm jack for the interior camera, with the rest being USB-C. While I would have liked to see Viofo go completely USB-C, this is still an acceptable solution. My other minor quibble is that the interior camera is a standalone unit, rather than being integrated into the body of the main camera, but I understand the stealthy wedge factor Viofo has gone for here, making it impossible for the integrated camera to come to fruition.

Installation of the cameras themselves in my vehicle was a painless process, with the extra length of the rear camera cable very much appreciated. After formatting the 128GB microSD Viofo-branded memory card provided to me, I was on my way. Connection to the app (available on iOS and Android) was quick and flawless, and I was able to quickly set up the cameras to my liking.

The A229 Pro has only just hit retail, therefore I'm on the latest firmware out of factory 230928, but I'm fully expecting more firmware updates with optimisations and improvements. Viofo has always had a very good track record of supporting their customers in this regard, in addition to after-sales support. I'm totally loving this dashcam so far, and looking forward to spending more time with it over the coming weeks, especially in the coming hot Australian summer. I know that Viofo is going to extract the absolute best out of the Starvis 2 sensors here on the A229 Pro.

Some close-up photos of the Viofo A229 Pro dashcam:

IMG_20231005_202747.jpg

IMG_20231005_203109.jpg

IMG_20231005_202825.jpg

IMG_20231005_202848.jpg

IMG_20231005_202936.jpg

@viofo was kind enough to send over one of it's own branded 128GB microSD High Endurance memory cards, of which I'm using this in the A229 Pro for testing. They have written an excellent article here regarding the importance of choosing the correct microSD memory card for your dashcam: https://viofo.com/blog/how-to-choose-a-right-micro-sd-card-for-your-dash-cam-b100.html

I ran some benchmarks below, and it compares favourably to one of my own Lexar 633x cards I had lying around (faster in some areas too!). The Viofo cards are rated A2 V30 (read speeds up to 100MB/s and write speeds up to 90MB/s), and the A229 Pro accepts cards up to 512GB capacity. With Viofo putting their love and attention into their dashcams over the years, I feel safe and confident in knowing that their microSD cards will hold up in the tough environments dash cam owners put their devices through. I have no reason to doubt their claims, as it hit the advertised speeds in CrystalDiskMark (see thumbnails below).

The Viofo microSD cards come fully recommended by me for purchase.

Purchase link here: https://viofo.com/accessories/136-v...pter-support-ultra-hd-4k-video-recording.html

fakeflashtest1.png Viofo card.png Lexar card.png

IMG_20231005_203012.jpg

IMG_20231005_203029.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.
Looking forward to your thoughts and comparison with the N4 Pro.

Welcome to the club.
Looking forward to your thoughts and comparison with the N4 Pro.
Thanks mate feels good to be here :). Won't be much of a contest between the rear camera with the N4 Pro, cos still stuck with the focus issues on that one LoL

The title is not long enough. :D It is good to see my Kingston 512gb will not be swamped by the read/write activity.

The title is not long enough. :D It is good to see my Kingston 512gb will not be swamped by the read/write activity.
You're right, I should the complete specifications in the title HAHA

Was this specifically a reviewer unit, or did you purchase it as a pre-order? The reason I ask is because that's a 125GB card and A229 Pro's were said to ship with a free 256GB card.

I kinda like the interior cam being separate. More options for where to mount it. Only downside, is more wires. I have definitely contemplated buying this.

Won't be much of a contest between the rear camera with the N4 Pro
I'm only interested in the comparison of the front cameras, (STARVIS 2 IMX678).
I want to see the difference of the 57 Mbps Viofo vs. whatever the Vantrue is.

I kinda like the interior cam being separate. More options for where to mount it. Only downside, is more wires. I have definitely contemplated buying this.
More important than it giving more options for where to mount the interior camera is that it allows you to mount the front camera where you want to mount it instead of having to mount it where it illegally blocks the driver's view.

I'm only interested in the comparison of the front cameras, (STARVIS 2 IMX678).
I want to see the difference of the 57 Mbps Viofo vs. whatever the Vantrue is.
I'll add that to my list of what to write up :)

You need to add the all important HDR + HDR + HDR.
ran out of room in the title cos it wouldn't let me, but still got HDR³ in there for ya mate!

Having put the ³ on the HDR, can you get the on the GPS?

Or is that asking too much :D

Having put the ³ on the HDR, can you get the on the GPS?

Or is that asking too much :D
I'll think about it - if I put too many of them then they'll start looking like footnotes that I'll have to expand on in the main articles HaHa

In the Viofo schematics, isent it a funny plug on the interior camera, for sure dont look like the other plugs.

In the Viofo schematics, isent it a funny plug on the interior camera, for sure dont look like the other plugs.
It's 3.5mm so not a super big deal, I would have preferred USB C cos everything in the world is going USB C. But it secures sturdily enough so I'm a happy boy

Okay.
I thought it was a USB cable too, but coax terminating in a mini jack is fine too.

Okay.
I thought it was a USB cable too, but coax terminating in a mini jack is fine too.
Maybe next gen they will go full USB C on it. Not sure why they went with 3.5mm, whether cost saving or technical reasons but not as big a bugbear in the grand scheme of things as what i was thinking it was gonna be

Back