Viofo G1W-S Review - Updated w/ Sony IMX323 CMOS Sensor, GPS Option

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, this is a video review on the new G1W-S from Viofo. I never thought I would be reviewing another G1W, this is the third one I have reviewed but this one was actually a decent upgrade. It adds a Sony IMX323 CMOS sensor, the F 1.6 6 element all glass lens is new too, and adds GPS support. Check out my impressions in the video below. At $60 currently on Amazon from OCD Tronic and actually comes with 3 different mounts which I found to be pretty cool. It's not amazing video quality, its still a budget camera, so you gotta take that into account.

Hi many thanks for this review, is there a function in the menu to turn the GPS on or off? I have just purchased one of these with a None gps module, as I'm going to buy one separately, as I think I may still have my old A118 gps somewhere in the house that's is compatible. but in my menu at the moment there is no mention of gps. so assume there is no function. also the IR light keeps resetting to the on position in the menu every time the camera re starts from the off position. and the date format will not change to the UK style DD/MM/YY in the date/time menu. but overall yes night time is a lot clearer than my old G1WH

Ahh!! That was something I forgot to mention. I intended on leaving a comment about the menu and knew I was forgetting something. I didn't include a menu walk through as it was just like every other g1w and so many other chinese cameras. No there was not an option in the menu to turn it on or off in my firmware. If the gps is plugged in it automatically works, but does not display anything on the video.

thanks for bringing that up, I have to add that to my youtube page.

Can you change the GPS to MPH instead of KPH? also found out that if you turn the IR light off in the menu, once the camera gets turned off, when you come back say later and you turn it on, the IR light automatically gets put in the On position in the menu. but ive found out that you can turn the IR light on and off just by one quick press of the power button. you will see this on the dash cam screen. so its easy enough to turn it off rather than go back into the menu settings to turn it off. why they still put these silly IR lights on dash cams is beyond me.

Yeah they're useless on a dashcam but they're in the G1Wx case design so it's probably cheaper to fit them than redesign the case. And they're all in the visible light spectrum anyway- not IR :p If mine doesn't play nicely I'll pop the case open and clip an LED wire- they're easy to get at. Where I hope it will end up at I can't access the buttons so I won't have much choice. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I get mine mounted, ain't really had time with work running me at WOT ;)

Phil

Yeah they're useless on a dashcam but they're in the G1Wx case design so it's probably cheaper to fit them than redesign the case. And they're all in the visible light spectrum anyway- not IR :p If mine doesn't play nicely I'll pop the case open and clip an LED wire- they're easy to get at. Where I hope it will end up at I can't access the buttons so I won't have much choice. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I get mine mounted, ain't really had time with work running me at WOT ;)

Phil
No ir lights,just two led lights on camera!

Ok guys I have had My Viofo G1w-s hardwired in for a couple of days now (powered permanently live). up to press there has been no known issues at all. Its all working as it should. take into account I'm only using a Kingston 32gb class 4 card as well until I can buy the recommended 64gb Transcend one. the picture quality is far greater than my Old G1WH day and night. so for the price of this unit it is a good camera to purchase.

@Russelluk
To be clear, are you recording 24/7? If so I am impressed as I've not had any of 3 other different G1Wx cams able to do this without problems.

Phil

Yes 24/7 obviously the footage overwrites, but I have it recording when parked up for the full night, I have had no issues with car battery drainage or any issue with the camera doing this. I have hardwired my G1WH for the last 3 years like this and its been great. I will give peoples the heads up though, if your car is a new model, they now fit voltage sensors in that will cut out power once the voltage reaches a certain level in your car battery sooner than the older sensors. I used to have a ford Kuga (not too sure if that's the same name for the US) but I could leave my car and camera running for at least 2 weeks (airport parking) and it be still recording. my new Ford Focus seems to cut the power if I leave the car for say 3 days. but normal driving everyday keeps a good voltage in the car and does not effect my camera. hope that makes some sort of sense. so up to press the Viofo is doing its job recording 24/7

Bit more information, I have just bought a 64gb scandisk Ultra and put it in the camera all I am getting is a message Please insert card, so it looks like it will not take this sort of card. ok I know the factory as been testing these cams with a transcend card but surly it still should work with this scandisk ? so just out of interest I put the 64gb scandisk in my old G1WH that is supposed to only take up to a 32gb card and hey ho the 64gb scandisk works in that but not in the Viofo. be interested to know what other people are using in the G1W-s

Bit more information, I have just bought a 64gb scandisk Ultra and put it in the camera all I am getting is a message Please insert card, so it looks like it will not take this sort of card. ok I know the factory as been testing these cams with a transcend card but surly it still should work with this scandisk ? so just out of interest I put the 64gb scandisk in my old G1WH that is supposed to only take up to a 32gb card and hey ho the 64gb scandisk works in that but not in the Viofo. be interested to know what other people are using in the G1W-s
SanDisk is not a good card for dash cameras. They should be avoided.

ok after seeking advice, I followed this and now my cards works in the Camera.

just thought I would check some footage on this camera, as I've not checked it for a few days it seem my audio as gone down on this camera, it comes on every 10 seconds for about 1 second and goes off again? any reports or issues on this. going to reset the camera tomorrow, it it happems again its getting sent back to estore009.

just thought I would check some footage on this camera, as I've not checked it for a few days it seem my audio as gone down on this camera, it comes on every 10 seconds for about 1 second and goes off again? any reports or issues on this. going to reset the camera tomorrow, it it happems again its getting sent back to estore009.

can you arrange a sample file for @viofo to check, that could actually be a firmware issue, if it is it can be resolved and you won't have to go through the return process headache

I've just formatted the card, so I've cleared the footage, I will do some recordings tomorrow and see if it happens again, shame as I really think this I good camera for the price at the moment

I've just formatted the card, so I've cleared the footage, I will do some recordings tomorrow and see if it happens again, shame as I really think this I good camera for the price at the moment
Did you end up getting a new card or are you still using the Class 4 card?

I'd be a bit hesitant to rely on older class 4 based cards long term for dependable recordings. When you have an incident you really want to know the video was recorded.

Viofo manufacturer and we sellers stand behind of this camera module,and you can feel free to PM us directly!
We wonder if it is possible that you can wait us for few days to see if it can be solved by software updating!

Did you end up getting a new card or are you still using the Class 4 card?
No I went and bought a new 64gb class ten card, I've re formatted the card on my PC again using the recommended way to do it on here, and not in the camera itself, and it seems to be fully working again with a couple of audio recordings that I have done. may be the issue was once on formatted on my pc, I then did it in again using the camera format in the menu. may that caused the issue? so this time I have not done this in the camera. I will keep checking it over the next few days. looking forward to see what is new on the new firmware to be released as well.

No I went and bought a new 64gb class ten card, I've re formatted the card on my PC again using the recommended way to do it on here, and not in the camera itself, and it seems to be fully working again with a couple of audio recordings that I have done. may be the issue was once on formatted on my pc, I then did it in again using the camera format in the menu. may that caused the issue? so this time I have not done this in the camera. I will keep checking it over the next few days. looking forward to see what is new on the new firmware to be released as well.
I would format in the camera. What card did you buy?

Back