VIOFO Improvement Wish List 2023

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
1.) APP Live View Alignment Line for 50/50 Road & Sky orientation.
Similar to Vantrue, (see attached screenshot courtesy of @rcg530)

2.) Voice Notifications For Parking Mode Events courtesy of @Vortex Radar

3.) Voice Command guard phrase; “OK Viofo, Lock The Video”. Courtesy of @rcg530

4.) Disable automatic Wi-Fi on start up, (must enable Wi-Fi manually each time). Courtesy of @safedrivesolutions

5.) Include Viofo 32GB SD Card with $10 price increase.
So the consumer can complete initial set up, pre-installation testing, recording malfunction diagnosis, perform firmware updates.

6.) Revised Hardwire Kit - Add selection to disable Low Voltage Cut-off.
Based on my testing of dash cam battery packs like the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8, and BlackVue B-130X this will increase parking mode duration 3-4 hours because the battery packs continue to provide power well bellow the hardwire kit’s lowest Cut-off of 11.80 Volts.

7.) Viofo dash cams are prominently advertised as having Parking Mode, and are a key selling point to entice a purchase.
Most consumers at the point of sale are unaware the $18 “Optional Accessory” hardwire kit is REQUIRED for “reliable operation” of this advertised feature.
This leads to the frustration of wasted time with unnecessary tech support inquiry, consumer dissatisfaction with the product, and the bait & switch advertising tactic.
In the world of consumer protection laws this is referred to as “double billing” the consumer, (charging twice to fully utilize a product, or service).
Similar to hidden fees & additional charges like “convenience fees” for accepting bill payments online, or over the phone.
Or title & documentation fees when buying a car, or home.
Or concert tickets, or hotel accommodations.
I propose two solutions to increase advertising transparency, and overall consumer satisfaction;

Option 1 - No Price Increase
Replace included Cigarette Lighter Adapter & USB Type-C cable with the Hardwire Kit so the consumer has full access to all advertised features, (Parking Mode) without incurring any further additional cost on “optional accessories”.

Option 2 - $10 Price Increase
Include BOTH the Cigarette Lighter Adapter & USB Type-C cable, AND the Hardwire Kit with a $10 price increase.

@viofo
@VIOFO-Support

Attachments

• Voltage Cut-off .png
    Voltage Cut-off .png
    535.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 32GB SD Card .png
    32GB SD Card .png
    76.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Courtesy of RCG530 .png
    Courtesy of RCG530 .png
    445.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I am not that big on the voice stuff, i have lost count on how many dashcam videos i have seen here people are " OK Garmin this and OK Garming that "
I just press the button

I am not that big on the voice stuff, i have lost count on how many dashcam videos i have seen here people are " OK Garmin this and OK Garming that "
I just press the button

Just wait until dash cams get ChatGPT AI and we start getting scolded by an overbearing female entity that's giving you a hard time because you just spilled some coffee on your shirt and that you need to watch where the hell you're going!

Coming soon to a dash cam near you! You heard it here first! :smuggrin:

fortunately i have no codriver.

I did use to enjoy dictating TXT messages just for my phone to read back to me what it had heard, and that was hillarious in the galaxy 2 days, these days the voice to TXT are far too good in phones.

Thanks for your so many significant suggestions. We will take them into consideration and please give us time to keep optimizing. (y)

4.) Disable automatic Wi-Fi on start up, (must enable Wi-Fi manually each time). Courtesy of @safedrivesolutions

So the consumer can complete initial set up, pre-installation testing, recording malfunction diagnosis, perform firmware updates.

Based on my testing of dash cam battery packs like the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8, and BlackVue B-130X this will increase parking mode duration 3-4 hours because the battery packs continue to provide power well bellow the hardwire kit’s lowest Cut-off of 11.80 Volts.

7.) Viofo dash cams are prominently advertised as having Parking Mode, and are a key selling point to entice a purchase.
Most consumers at the point of sale are unaware the $18 “Optional Accessory” hardwire kit is REQUIRED for “reliable operation” of this advertised feature.
This leads to the frustration of wasted time with unnecessary tech support inquiry, consumer dissatisfaction with the product, and the bait & switch advertising tactic.
In the world of consumer protection laws this is referred to as “double billing” the consumer, (charging twice to fully utilize a product, or service).
Similar to hidden fees & additional charges like “convenience fees” for accepting bill payments online, or over the phone.
I propose two solutions to increase advertising transparency, and overall consumer satisfaction;

Replace included Cigarette Lighter Adapter & USB Type-C cable with the Hardwire Kit so the consumer has full access to all advertised features, (Parking Mode) without incurring any further additional cost on “optional accessories”.

Include BOTH the Cigarette Lighter Adapter & USB Type-C cable, AND the Hardwire Kit with a $10 price increase.

@viofo
@VIOFO-Support

@viofo
@VIOFO-Support
1. We added such lines 2 years ago on our inner testing app, I thought this need optimize with each model.
2. I have heard that parking events notifications on blackvue cameras before. I doubt this really helpful for checking events like we always unlock the car before we enter the car, and the camera switch to the normal recording and finished the
parking events voice notifications.
3. The voice commands are fixed content, even just customize one command, the cost is very expensive.
4. If the user disables the WiFi manually, it will not enable the WiFi next time. Recently I am thinking if we need to add a WiFi auto start option, I am afraid most people will choose auto start WiFi, which will cause extra heating.
5. 32GB card capacity is not enough for most of dash cams, and our main sell channel is Amazon which has a high return rate, this will cause extra loss when users return the camera. 90% of Amazon returned products are almost new.
6. Connect the BAT and ACC with the same fuse, the low voltage cutoff will not work. But it will not enter the parking mode due to no ACC signal change, user can switch to parking mode manually like on A229 Duo(other cameras don't support one button to enter the parking mode).

Attachments

• app.jpg
    app.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 18
A better temporary mounting option would be my vote. I change vehicles daily so I'm stuck using models with suction cup mounts.

A better temporary mounting option would be my vote. I change vehicles daily so I'm stuck using models with suction cup mounts.
I suggest buying an extra mount, it is easy to slide the camera to the mount in different cars compared to using a suction mount.

5. 32GB card capacity is not enough for most of dash cams, and our main sell channel is Amazon which has a high return rate, this will cause extra loss when users return the camera. 90% of Amazon returned products are almost new.
I bet a lot of money, they are getting returned due to them buying the wrong SD Card for the unit. Trust me I know. I get the phone calls from your Amazon sales. A few a week. It is always because they bought a cheap SD card. Look at doing a sample test.

Receommendation
Have like 100 - Viofo Mini2 (Free Micro SD card in the box) Sell it for $10 more on Amazon. (See what your return rate is on that package as compared to selling it without SD card. Just my opinion.

Dear @viofo & @VIOFO-Support ,
I have been following the development of your company since October 2019 when the A129 Pro 4K was released.
Since 2019 I have watched almost every YouTube video about your dash cams, and more importantly read the feedback from your customers in the comment section of those videos.
I have also been following your customer’s feedback on this form since 2020, (I only became a member myself last year).

Overall your company is doing good at;
1.) Releasing new dash cam models with incremental improvements to image quality.
2.) Customer service, tech support, and releasing firmware updates to improve existing models.
3.) Staying ahead of most other dash cam manufacturers in terms of image quality, and market share of the industry.
If you continue at this pace of development, while other manufacturers try to catch up I think you will do just fine.

However, your company has two problems preventing you from dominating the dash cam industry with a wide majority market share.
The good news is these two problems can be easily fixed.
Once they are fixed it will accelerate your market share domination by increasing sales, and overall consumer satisfaction.
It will also reduce the resources needed to maintain your tech support department.
And these resources can be redirected to innovating, and improving your dash cams.
When I think about your two biggest problems this quote comes to mind;

“Bad food, medicine ineffective. Good food, medicine not needed”

What I mean to say is, you are causing problems for your consumers that in turn forces them to make tech support inquiries.
These unnecessary tech support issues are a drain on your manufacturing manpower, and more importantly damage your brand reputation by reducing consumer confidence in the product.

The number one complaint I see from first time Viofo consumers is they can’t get the camera to go into parking mode when expected.
This is because you sell the hardwire kit as an $18 Optional Accessory.
Based on your prominent advertising of parking mode, the consumer expects parking mode to “reliably” function without any additional equipment, or cost.
It takes a few days, or weeks after the initial purchase with tech support inquiry to learn they must now purchase additional equipment to fully utilize the product they were expecting to work right out of the box.
Learning this information after committing to the initial purchase is very upsetting to the consumer, and puts your company’s reputation on thin ice.

The number two complaint I see from first time Viofo consumers is experiencing recording malfunctions due to using an “incorrect” SD Card.
This takes weeks, or months of self troubleshooting, tech support inquiry, or finding help on forums like these.
This is why I believe “Wish List Items” #5 and #7 should be mission critical to accelerate your company’s future market domination.

This “small” 32GB SD Card is NOT intended to serve as the main memory card for the service life of the camera.
It is critical to include so the consumer can perform these 4 functions;
1.) Initial set up.
2.) Pre-installation testing.
3.) Recording malfunction diagnosis.
4.) Perform firmware updates.
Number #3 is the most important.
Most consumers buy the cheapest “unapproved” SD Card, and this will most likely cause recording malfunctions.
If the consumer has a “known good card” on hand to help troubleshoot the “bad” card this will expedite diagnosis.
What happens now is the consumer blames the camera, and thinks it’s a piece of junk, and returns it.

BlackVue & Thinware include SD Cards with their cameras.
I have personally purchased $20-$30 dash cams from brands like Crosstour, Apeman, and other “cheap” manufacturers, and even they included SD cards with the camera. You call yourself a “Professional Manufacturer”.
Not including a branded SD Card is “Amatuer”.
I challenge you to live up to your boastful claim.
-Chuck

Professional .png

This might work;

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-13 11.04.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 11.04.20 PM.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 8
This might work;

The mounting problem seems to roll around every year or when there is a new user on here.
As you did it isn't that hard to do a google search or even a dashcamtalk search https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/best-temporary-or-suction-mount-option.46052/post-563913

4. If the user disables the WiFi manually, it will not enable the WiFi next time. Recently I am thinking if we need to add a WiFi auto start option, I am afraid most people will choose auto start WiFi, which will cause extra heating.
6. Connect the BAT and ACC with the same fuse, the low voltage cutoff will not work. But it will not enter the parking mode due to no ACC signal change, user can switch to parking mode manually like on A229 Duo(other cameras don't support one button to enter the parking mode).

I have to Congratulate you again for being informative and open. This is a very nice change which helps forum readers to understand the complexities of making and modifying dashcams.

I almost certain that you have already made a modified firmware that enabled wi-fi on startup and if not connected in approx 10mins it stops.
I think my old A129 Duo does it.

I don't really understand what you are saying here. I hope you never have a 90% return rate. I have 4 dashcams all Viofo running in family cars and have been for ages.

I think I already new this but it is great to see you confirm this. Educating the forum members helps us to give others an informative hand in problem solving.

Cheers

I'm not sure that discharging the battery pack below 11.8 volts is a good idea. It may go to significantly lower voltage, but there isn't actually much power left in it at that point, and a full discharge will reduce the lifespan of the battery pack significantly more than an 11.8 volt cutoff. Not saying that a cutoff disable option is a bad idea, just that I wouldn't recommend using it for an LiFePO4 battery pack.

2. I have heard that parking events notifications on blackvue cameras before. I doubt this really helpful for checking events like we always unlock the car before we enter the car, and the camera switch to the normal recording and finished the
parking events voice notifications.
Might I suggest; Filter out 3 minutes from the time the camera went into parking mode, and 3 minutes before it goes out of parking mode to normal recording mode - with a special announcement for G-sensor events.

Definitely want the parking mode events audio readout. It really shouldn't be that hard to implement with a counter in storage and some audio clips. It would be a great advertising feature. I had a car alarm 1 billion years ago that would beep for the amount of times the car alarm went off while I was gone.

I'm not keen on the idea of the 32GB SD card as I would end up as e-waste for me.

I searched forums, link to that Arkon mount wasn’t working for me in thread I found.
That comment wasn't directed at you just to be clear. I really should have said seasoned new users eg with say 50+ posts.

As a new user it can be hard to find items on this site.
I can never think of the best words to search for.

One of the problems with links being placed in the threads, that over time they may no longer be active.

Back