Viofo T130 3 Channel Dashcam - 2K Front + FHD Interior + FHD Rear

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
Viofo T130 3 Channel Dashcam - 2K Front + FHD Interior + FHD Rear
Midrange 3 channel 2K dashcam / taxicam with easily rotatable interior lens allowing it to monitor the driver's door window.

Early production samples of this camera are being sent out over the next few weeks, so use this thread to share your experiences and post sample videos/images...

Overview
This is Viofo's second 3 channel camera after the very nice A139. The hardware and firmware are in many ways similar to the A139 but with some significant differences, the main one being that the interior lens is built into the main/front camera unit so that there is only one item to install on the windscreen, also the interior lens angle can easily be adjusted to point at the driver's door for when you want to record conversations with people at the window. It has a horizontal cylindrical shape rather than Viofo's traditional wedge shape, and like the A139 uses voice/phone app instead of an LCD screen.

Specifications:
Front image sensor - 2K (1440) Sony Starvis IMX335
Rear image sensor - FHD (1080) Sony Starvis IMX307
Interior image sensor - FHD (1080) Omnivision Nyxel with infrared technology.
Rotatable Interior lens - Vertical and Horizontal adjustment.
Memory card - MicroSD up to 256GB
Voice Notification
Wifi & Mobile App.
GPS logging
CPL - Optional.
Bluetooth Remote lock button - optional.
Hardwire Kit - optional HK3-C.

Images

These are fairly accurate computer generated images, not the real thing. It's a bit easier to see all the features than on photos and I don't have the final production version so my photos are not necessarily accurate anyway, so better to show these:

y4me9UIHMbgaH1rAJmRkztj7Hel5nwu0vf4on0cA9JXePIWLUIxTK1mJtxWWovaFZ84-cI9BSsWffVDskX9jaxs9bXtTfnj9-F53jA_Of2FqCRq3fH3yTjhq5VJ40yH1J8ohgDegN1bpvISqD78d-OteJJnzTk5PCpMYUteTpirQto

y4m1i8FyJnHdpxrznk6wlBnQjnPuaNCuumDFIl8RSGVY-1PH5b28WPwJooP8OS2iedyEkz_3bGP_JfHds-_usMSaCu02Db54tzkrauIsIlEz7AM3ZcX2qLie8iUD5UeCgEtODGWWgvSwfWC1vMHvnFLa2lh0O0YjP9lkDB_uzfwVgs

Last edited:
First Impressions

In use, it seems very similar to the A139, the buttons do what is expected, even though it has one less button than the A139! It uses the same app, has the same voice, uses the same processor and the same front image sensor, so the image quality and speed of operation are very similar, however there are some obvious differences which I will go through now:

The interior lens is built into the front camera, making it simpler to install but limiting placement options. For some people having a separate interior unit is going to be preferable, but that does mean finding a place to install the extra unit and an extra cable, so if this fits nicely in your vehicle without blocking the driver's view then it may be more convenient. The shape means that it does fit nicely below many mirrors, but again that will depend on your vehicle. It doesn't take up much space, obviously the interior lens can't be completely hidden behind a mirror or it wouldn't be able to see, but if you are worried about it intruding into the driver's view, the diameter is 4cm, exactly the amount of intrusion allowed under UK and I think EU law, so you don't actually need to hide it from view anyway. Adjustment of the interior lens is easy, it is large enough to quickly adjust with one hand while not really looking, not at all fiddly.

Note that the interior lens rotates horizontally in only one direction, in a left hand drive car it points to the driver's door when rotated, in a right hand drive car the camera needs to be mounted upside down before the interior lens can be rotated towards the driver's door, but this is not a problem since there is a setup option to rotate the images, only minor issue is that the symbols on the buttons are then upside down.

Front image sensor - This is the Sony Starvis IMX335 again, same as the A139, and it is still giving the best compromise between resolution and sensitivity of any midrange dashcam and not far off the best of any dashcam. As I've pointed out before, this is a sensor for dashcams, good at recording evidence but not ideal for movie making which requires different compromises; for movies I still recommend the Viofo A129 Pro with its IMX317 which gives better dynamic range and 4K resolution but doesn't do quite so well with motion blur in lower light levels.

Interior image sensor - This is Viofo's first camera to use an Omnivision Nyxel sensor which seems to work better than the Sony Starvis when using the IR lamps for night time recording, the Starvis sensor on the A129 gets a little noisy and blurry if you only have light from the IR lamps, the image looks like it is nighttime, the A139 improves over the A129 by having 6 instead of 4 IR LEDs but sharpness still improves significantly when turning on the car's interior lamps. The T130 is back to just 4 IR LEDs but gives a sharper nighttime image than the A139, still not daylight quality but definitely an improvement.

Cables - The Viofo T130 uses USB-C connectors on all cables. The power cable is the same as for the A139, but for the rear camera it does not use mini coax cable, it is USB-C with the much thicker USB cable used by the older A129. I believe this is a cost saving measure, allowing the T130 to be cheaper than the A139.

GPS - The GPS receiver on the T130 is excellent, it will lock on to the satellites inside my house unlike any other dashcam I've tried, it may be a good choice for those with windscreens/tint that block a lot of the GPS satellite signal.

Mount - The mount is via 3M sticky pad, with electrostatic stickers supplied for use if you want to be able to remove the 3M pad again. The camera is dismountable by sliding sideways similar to the Viofo A129 and A139, except that the power cable plugs into the part of the mount attached to the camera, so needs unplugging. This won't be an issue for most people, it is unusual to remove multi-channel cameras often since you need to unplug the remote cameras. The T130 does have one less cable to unplug than the A139 since the interior lens doesn't have a cable. Adjustment of the mount angle is easy, and it has separate vertical adjustments for the case, front lens and interior lens, plus a horizontal adjustment for the interior lens.

Cooling - One of the issues with all 3 channel cameras is overheating, normally only in parking mode although some do overheat while driving. The T130 is quite a compact camera for a three channel, so using it for parking mode on hot summer days may result in it shutting down similar to the A139, however the mount does hold the camera some distance from the windscreen glass which should help, so cooling is probably better than with the A139. I've not been having heat issues but I don't live in a particularly hot place, so it will be interesting to hear everyone's experiences. One interesting feature is that a small area of the processor heatsink is exposed on the front face, you don't want to touch that since it gets hot! Not sure if this actually helps keep it cool, but it would give a good place to mount an external heatsink if you live somewhere particularly hot and need extra cooling.

Voice - It uses the same voice notifications/button responses as the A139, easy to understand and all useful information with no unnecessary/annoying speech. Only difference is that the A139 voice is slightly higher quality, maybe using a bigger/better speaker due to the case shape?

Rear camera - Essentially the same as the A139 rear camera, but using a USB-C connector instead of mini coax. Easy to install and has 360 degree rotation. Only minor issue is that it is not demountable, but rear cameras rarely get demounted anyway, and for glass cleaning you can easily rotate the lens away from the glass since it is 360+ degrees rotatable.

CPL (Optional) - Same as the A139, fits and works nicely.

Bluetooth Remote (Optional) - Again, it uses the same remote as the A139 and A129. The button locks/protects the video files and can be mounted somewhere convenient so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road when using it.

Hardwire Kit (Optional) - Same as the A139, uses the USB-C version of the well tried and tested Viofo HK3, note that this is not the mini USB version used by the A129 and other cameras, if upgrading from the older cameras then you will need to upgrade the hardwire kit too.

The packaging seems to be in line with Viofo's normal standard with the box neatly packed and providing good protection.

Issues

I've been trialing a pre-production camera which has worked well, only real issue has been a small wobble in the mount which should have been fixed, and a few firmware issues where it hadn't been completed, so I don't have any significant problems to report. I think most of the firmware is actually A139 firmware so already tried and tested, it does use the same processor and image sensors except for the interior IR sensor. I'm expecting a few people to complain about the relatively thick rear camera cable as some do with the A129, but it is a good quality cable, just not quite as convenient as the very thin coax cable on the A139. There isn't anything else to complain about, if you like the shape and styling then it is a nice camera.

Conclusion

In terms of functionality and image quality, it is really very similar to the A139, and the front camera image quality is also very similar the A119 which shares the same sensor. Personally I would choose the A139, overall the A139 build quality seems a little better, a little more solid, slightly better voice quality, and the thin coax cable to the rear camera is really nice, but those are minor things if you like the adjustability of the interior lens or maybe the shape is more suited to your vehicle, or maybe you prefer to lose a wire and the separate internal camera. Certainly if you want to record cops at the driver's door it has a significant advantage over the A139 where the internal camera only has vertical adjustment.

Obviously if you want a 2 channel camera with front+rear rather than front+internal then the A139 2 channel version makes more sense, or the A129 if you don't mind having a screen instead of voice.

If you need the internal camera for taxi use then the OmniVision sensor is definitely a little better in the dark than any of the other taxi camera internal camera sensors, it gives a sharper image, although with the assistance of the car interior lamp there is not much difference to the A139. Also, the camera tends to be more obvious to the passengers, it is not an imposing camera, less so than the A139, and it doesn't have a video screen to attract attention, but it is visible with attention drawn to it by the status LEDs which are small but fairly bright, and the lens pointing towards the passengers is obvious so they will realise what its purpose is. The A139 internal camera is so small that most passengers will never see it, and that has no status LEDs to draw attention.

Sample images/videos

To follow…

Unboxing video

I'm sure an unboxing video expert will post one fairly soon... I'll include a link here...

Last edited:
Frame grabs from the T130 video:

Ignore the bug where the time falls off the right, that is just use of early firmware and should be fixed by now...

Good weather, nice exposure, no problem reading plates, plenty of detail, no blockyness, we could argue about the sharpening but it is one of the better ones, all these cables are good challenge for any dashcam!

y4mn3fRBaSC78yUxFjoSr6sJwXbvpowXECBdcuauWMTCBaHcgaYyoGsc46hAAreb6ZOIH4lucJIhRD8mNEmj_UJF7ZeaHlfQCGDKFVGo8aILwcXisRbQNpIuiNprDC4leFOn6KxHPEfKCxJYfMgf6tqJLv_Z3S9CskTZdtG45Y8hc8

Cloudy conditions, lots of trees to test bitrate and exposure, but still looking good with readable plates:

y4mbLJawHe-SHwxYu__GEJqeqgYJSDSBbXOqQBwTwuMPdRD2BpGCycTKAmWo1J0HBldE6-xUkZOBGM8UujpnqI6l7YDTwEeHpvg2_KkWjAsCV1VE5c1XucB1OT6_q1_Jy_FYiCCWUdXPehDWLNVHtOHRciKoNh1vZ1uGB0TXJMAPQI

More sun, almost perfect conditions for a dashcam, and it does well with plenty of detail:

y4mpAqyH9Win6zdmfSGWv4wAs1-9O4HLRBUrXnHfoFeCoKa1GMrVgM3Zf2IOK0Gp9GHiMz9xJFZ6lR5S-0ZXl_gJB2X0m1F5fSvdihyIVQEUyuCOCva7Hx-LNJFazJ-vUE4hV71jtgctZAEFBJkaZjoidq2svjyRcV1QjwhlwyvBYU

Cloudy, wet, car traveling fast (see video below), but still a readable plate:

y4maDY81u3tvxRR8YdnxUb8ZB9HQ_mvbuJPvAeUlUJEzEk2HEzSau6j_pcjDhucTGbVijwugPZl8IjPEgDzCdUKCu-KlMdejVWmyNrxNUGi04b-3FTYgmdRG8it0MtEPnv7wQ8qTfAR9cRVkkjO-UAAHWyacHGrPmsWGc_F1IlF11A

On the motorway, but not going so fast! Good test of plate reading range in typical UK lighting:

y4mVaAgi9RkpM49Q-9__oum_1aAqrq7udcQvuBHm7xEtTGFetlhoZ7HPGlS0pwWIAcLxv8xqRnTFzKlwZQApBZrgmmT110cyU9Wh4fSNsVs45eVWcBhzowE6Bp_2uH8JrC_99X2kETzPcU_iCPj4LNZQdAVkW187f2gcVTB7trnEB4

Dark, wet and normal speeds for an A road, about at the limit for plate reading, here the 2K resolution wins over FHD since it can read the plate while it is sufficiently far away not to be too motion blurred:

y4mNBchTrgJlKatu3iqQLf4rzeEt-cWRQatLPUiUA1G4lj0jofg2EtSw3uDR5eK2jKLwtOmrpl-2vO3ZnQp_6kyy-_H70yUlwTIxtfxbK66k8eelBP2Fzft-wIi9j4nln08dcap828jP_DfHF4KrEitDBLIKZjKMIe-9wc3cl678SA

Side window view from the IR interior camera in daylight, this is FHD resolution so half the detail of the front view, and being an IR sensitive camera there is a slight magenta tinge to the colours, but it is doing its job well with very good dynamic range for an interior camera. Biggest issue is the windscreen reflection, but that is a feature of the vehicle, needs that A-Pillar painted black, or maybe a nice matt black leather trim put over it, which would also help with driving since human eyes see the same reflection:

y4mgtXdYZhHtRUwn-mOPGeWrKZs9O5H-dxy9kNojmNIHohrfQgKK7uRs82ENykjmpyGru-WU5xleahGe_-6TFeopFyRZhmq5zB-N-XVuOsZpWs-BT-O8r1SX7OYenQsb9KWFkI6VD1RxhUNCoDfhb6z0SOauA2fYOfMmXw_ayVJvgQ

Video to go with above frame grabs

This video requires more bitrate than Youtube provides, so if you want to see the original quality, download the original file from Google Drive.

Last edited:
So this is the first Viofo dashcam with front and rear included into the same camera body.
Also this is the first Viofo model which can fit OK under the car sensors box.
Rotating the interior camera to the driver's window is a nice and good surprise.

Later edit:
I made a video about what I consider to be interesting about Viofo T130

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
So this is the first Viofo dashcam with front and rear included in the same camera body.
Also this is the first model which can fit OK under the car sensors box.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes, I guess if you want an easy to install front + rear dashcam without having to install cables, then a 2ch version of the T130 would be a good choice :)

Oh wow! Loving the form factor :love: Unlike the sharp-edged boxes or tubes we normally get, this (like the B1W) looks like factory equipment and other than the lenses is not easily identified as a dashcam. I'd wondered how the horizontal/vertical adjustment of the cabin cam would be done, and this exceeds the schemes I'd imagined (y) I love the A139 app so using the same here is also great (especially considering that I'm having app issues with another cam ATM which is very frustrating). With the sheer length of my van, getting good IR interior images isn't easy and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the OV sensor can do.

BTW, that was a nice drive in the hills- where was that? It's all people here can do to avoid each other with two lanes, can't see it working with just one where you have to share :rolleyes: Looks nice though!

Phil

Well i am not a fan of the 2 in 1 cameras, and then +1 in this case.
It would of course like any other dashcam fit nice in front of my mirror, but then if i did that just below the dotted area, the camera looking back ( strait back ) would mainly film the mirror.
If i offset some towards the driver side ( left ) he would probably be captured well, but mirror would still block much of the other side of the car i think.
So in my car i would have to mount it lower, i think about 10 - 12 CM, but that is very low i think on the windscreen and not stealthy at all.

The A139 is a far better solution for my particular car, to test this properly i would have to remove my mirror,,,,,, as i have done before testing other 2 in 1 cameras.

Oh wow! Loving the form factor :love: Unlike the sharp-edged boxes or tubes we normally get
Yes, I like the shape, it's not for everyone but it is good to have an alternative style to the sharp angled boxes, and a much better match for some cars. It also matches the rear camera style of the A139, it is sort of odd that the A139 itself is angular! Although I also like the A139 box, it sort of looks more premium.

I'd wondered how the horizontal/vertical adjustment of the cabin cam would be done, and this exceeds the schemes I'd imagined (y)
It is separate horizontal and vertical rotations, not a ball and socket as might be expected, but it works nicely and can be adjusted one handed in a single movement once you have worked it out.

With the sheer length of my van, getting good IR interior images isn't easy and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the OV sensor can do.
It is only 4 LEDs so it will be interesting to see if it can see to the back of your van. Couldn't test that on my van in the video above, there was a metal wall between the cabin and load, so the video looking straight back is not very interesting!

BTW, that was a nice drive in the hills- where was that? It's all people here can do to avoid each other with two lanes, can't see it working with just one where you have to share :rolleyes: Looks nice though!
That is the Cambrian Mountains in Mid Wales, going down the Aberystwyth side. Cambrian as in the geological period when the first fossils appeared, so very old with the sharp peaks worn away ages ago and new valleys cut into it by glaciers during the last ice age. That van was rather wider than I normally drive so I was going fairly slowly, but to everyone else there was no need to slow down! Well behaved sheep there, they were getting out of the way rather than blocking the road, most sheep consider that they have priority and you have to go around.

Well i am not a fan of the 2 in 1 cameras, and then +1 in this case.
It would of course like any other dashcam fit nice in front of my mirror, but then if i did that just below the dotted area, the camera looking back ( strait back ) would mainly film the mirror.
If i offset some towards the driver side ( left ) he would probably be captured well, but mirror would still block much of the other side of the car i think.
So in my car i would have to mount it lower, i think about 10 - 12 CM, but that is very low i think on the windscreen and not stealthy at all.

The A139 is a far better solution for my particular car, to test this properly i would have to remove my mirror,,,,,, as i have done before testing other 2 in 1 cameras.
Note that in the first two frame grabs above, it is mounted at the bottom of the windscreen, almost touching the dash, no need to remove your mirror...

Haha dident even pay attention to that, i guess that is a alternative place to place such a cam, at least with this it should work VS the B2W and T3 i tested before,,,,,,, now i sort of regret i did not sign up for testing of this too.
But maybe it is also better for viofo to have testers with eyes that actually work :LOL:

A video from the interior camera with it pointing to the side window in daylight, in a right hand drive van with it mounted the correct way up ... hence no driver!

I had the radio on ... so you can hear the intelligibility of conversations in the cabin... well, you probably won't understand a single word, I was in Wales ;)

Now I want a version with two interior cameras, one either side for left and right views!

With the two 3-channel cams available one or the other should work well for 95%+ of the people. And the T130 could always be set a little away from center to optimize the cabin view if one needed that. In many cars the RVM can be lowered so mounting a T130 above it might work. A short mirror-stalk mount could also be employed to get it just below the mirror without hindering any FOV ;) And many of today's cars have a 'sensor pod' located at the mirror which this could fit onto or below where something like the A139 might not do as well. It does seem that many US drivers want the ability to cover the driver's window at will- there's a lot of talk about that in the other dashcam places I go to, and that one thing is what the A139 sorely lacked. Now people can have that in an equally good (or better?) cam :cool:

Phil

Wow, looking forward to this. Looks like a good form factor for vehicles with built-in camera for ADAS.

Is there a setting to rotate the video or an auto-rotate feature for RHD cars?

T3, lol. Was way off on the design guess.

@Nigel how easy is it to insert and remove a microSD card from the top of the camera, if the camera is mounted near the top of the windscreen?

I dont think that is a issue, unless you mount it extremely high and i think in most cars a dotted area prevent that.
But i must admit i do prefer to see the slot i put the memory card in, and i have also started to make that process a 2 handed operation as i use a finger on one hand to block the memory card i an inserting with a finger on the other hand from unintentionally launching.

Opposite if you mount it down low on the windscreen, it should not be all the way at toe bottom as then the vipers would block the view, at least in my car they would.'
Down there you also have a much higher chance of loosing a launching memory card down into the cars windscreen ventilation holes, not least if it is already aimed in that direction ( pushing up to install / eject the card )

No matter what camera design, one should be able to take the memory card out / do other things, without having to turn the whole camera body, cuz if you have to do that, then you also have to realign the camera in relation to the horizon.

I am looking forward to see more footage from this new 3 "barrel" shooter from Viofo :) as mentioned and a thing that have also worried me a bit with the A139 is the night time B&W quality of the interior camera, on the A139 the image de become quit soft like / loss of contrast i think it is, looking at footage it is as if a lot of detail in my face are lost, that that would be identifying information you will want in case of a event inside the cabin.

If possible the interior camera should be tuned towards IR aided night footage, and then maybe be a little off for daytime footage from that camera.

Last edited:
@Nigel how easy is it to insert and remove a microSD card from the top of the camera, if the camera is mounted near the top of the windscreen?
I guess it depends on the car and positioning, but the card slot is nearly 4cm from the glass, so it is not too difficult because of the glass. In my car I don't have a big sensor pod in the way, but I think most sensor pods are reasonably thin at the bottom end so it should be OK. You can always slide it off the mount for better access, or use the wifi for file access, not ideal options for everyone, but everyone is different.

My biggest issue is the card springing out and disappearing, I find the side mounted card slots slightly better for that, the A139 seems one of the best, but it is an issue with all of them, and with this it will be held in place by gravity while not clicked in, it won't fall out like a side mount one can. The mini 080? series had card slots in bottom or top, bottom was easier to access, but much easier to drop and lose, there were never many complaints about top slots.

Of course, being in the UK, the card slot is actually at the bottom!

Last edited:
Back