Viofo T130

JamieNYC

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been settling into using the Viofo T130 for a couple of weeks now and I'm mostly satisfied with the product. Here's my initial review: to start, essentially the T130 does what I need it to do, so far…

Mounting
The main hardware is mounted to a $10 rearview mirror extension, allowing it to hang closely under the mirror. It's small enough that I've gotten used to it and it's no longer distracting, but I do not care for the four little led function lights. There is no option to turn them off, but Viofo has responded to user complaints and advised an update will add this desired feature soon. Black electrical tape can supply a temporary solution.

Power Feed and Wiring
I'm currently using the cigarette lighter power adaptor, but I have the Viofo hardwire kit and plan to do a proper and neat installation soon to conceal the wiring. I'll also then install the third camera (second device) to view my car's rear view exterior.

App Connectivity
I'm using the Viofo app on my iPhone 8 Plus. The most notable issue is the connection from camera to phone. The T130, like many dash cams, behaves as a wifi router and connects as a host, treating the phone as the client. This noticeably conflicts the phone's wifi receiver and instant connections typically fail. Viofo support has posted the solution to this issue is to toggle off the phone's cellular connection -- switch the phone to airplane mode -- then connect to the T130's wifi signal, and then toggle back on the phone's cellular receiver. This is not ideal, but for my purposes, it's acceptable as I do not constantly view the cameras' video feeds (front exterior, interior, and soon to be added rear exterior).

On a side note, I had previously been testing a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 and discovered similar connectivity issues, but with the Garmin cam the issue was convoluted; I discovered 2 wifi signals and a bluetooth signal. Garmin, to my knowledge has not posted any support work-arounds, and I never discovered a reliable setup after carefully following the installation instructions and many attempts, so I returned the product.

The wifi/cellular conflict is interesting to me -- I hope to take a deeper dive into this as it's a known problem for at least two manufacturers.

Video Feed and Recording
So far, the Viofo app is very good at displaying a live feed with two cameras, both housed in the main hardware, but very poor at accessing playback. Toggling between combined and individual live views works very well, however, playback within the app consistently fails. Downloading selected files to my iPhone works, but the process is slow and sometimes fails as well. I just made my first attempt to apply a firmware update, so I'll be testing this again to see if this disappointment improves. As far as I can tell so far, "instant playback" is not viable.

I was very impressed when I reviewed files that I accessed from the Micro SD on my Macbook. All files were MP4s and played perfectly. File sizes are large, averaging 500 MB--1.5 GB for ten minute clips, one file per camera view. Video quality is very good, and audio quality is very good too. I'm using a PNY Micro SD 256 GB card. I noticed the card is already almost filled to capacity, so I'll do another test soon to see how things go when files begin to get overwritten. I'll be especially looking out for the integrity and longevity of the memory card. I have so far reviewed interior recordings for daytime, which are very clean, and for nighttime, which were recorded in infrared, and also very good. Audio quality for the front row seats is excellent, even with the windows open. Second and third row audio quality degrades a little but held up surprisingly well.

Front exterior view video is very good. It's not 4K, but it's good enough for me. I have not yet reviewed any nighttime video from the front exterior camera yet. I also appreciated the metadata text I enabled via the app settings to burn into the recordings; car model, license number, car speed and GPS coordinates, but for a good laugh I discovered when viewing videos on my Macbook that files were labeled as recorded "tomorrow" and the metadata in the video had been labeled one day ahead -- later that day I set the dash cam's date-time stamp setting to sync with my phone's date-time and I expect this "future feature" to be resolved.

Wrap Up
I realize many dash cam users are in car service businesses -- I am not. I also understand that many common non-business users seem to be mostly concerned with front and rear exterior recordings. I'm interested in that too, but highest on my list of concerns is interior and side view video and audio. The T-130 caught my attention when I was researching for a purchase because the interior camera swivels so it can be directed to view the driver side window for driver-exterior interactions. I was also attracted to this product specifically because it does not have a built in video display. It's not extremely discreet, but it's discreet enough. I understand that for business use a live video display brings awareness to passengers and can promote good behavior. Seeing myself and passengers on video for the first time was a very interesting experience! I'm keen to set up the parking mode feature very soon, and also want to see if I can have the cameras fully powered on while the car ignition is off. Ideally, I want to be in my car, parked and not idling, while recording. In my car, unless the ignition is started the cigarette lighter power source does not activate. Starting the car in accessory-mode does not resolve this (electric is powered on, radio and AC work, but ignition is off), so we'll see if the hardwire kit can bypass this obstacle.

Thanks for reading! More to come soon…

but I do not care for the four little led function lights. There is no option to turn them off

But there is this option "off" in the app menu!

To my knowledge, for this specific Viofo model there is only an option to turn off the infrared led lights on the camera, but I've read some posts where users with other Viofo models can turn off the led notification lights. I also read a post from Viofo support confirming what I understood so far for the T130.

Thanks for pointing this out - I'll be very happy to stand corrected!
I'll double check on this issue this evening when I get on the road -- and if I'm mistaken I'll post back to clarify the detail.

Ok, maybe I misundeerstood. I thought you meant those four infrared lights, but you are referring to button lights.

I think the LED off option Viofo was referring to was just while in parking mode, but I may be wrong.

The T130 with the most recent firmware and VIOFO app has two settings that govern how the T130's status LEDs operate in normal and parking mode.

I'm using v3.2.5 of the Android VIOFO app:
1657144251139.png

T130 LED Settings:

1657144323904.png

Normal Recording Settings:
1657144576308.png

Parking Recording Settings:
1657144430765.png

23BB2AF4-6F0B-43F1-898C-B10C2DF49EF4.jpeg
I justed checked Apple’s App Store, it appears the latest version that’s available for Android is not released for iOS yet. I’m also not sure if I updated the firmware correctly, website says I should be at:

T130_ V1.1_ 20220211​

I downloaded to my laptop and then transferred the .bin file to the memory chip, not sure if it took. Only tried the front camera .bin file so far.

You might be downloading the T130 firmware from the older (no longer updated) support page. The new/current "Firmware & Manual" page is located here: https://viofo.com/content/42-help-and-support/

The T130 has an entry on that page for the T130 specific files.

On the T130 page, you'll find a front camera firmware file and a rear camera firmware file. You'll need to load the two different firmware files one at a time (only copy one to the microSD and update and then repeat for the other). I usually update the front camera firmware first and then go through the same process putting the EthcamTxFW.bin on the microSD to update the rear camera.

After installing the two firmware updates, you'll need to reselect every firmware setting you've customized since those settings are lost at each firmware update.

1657153722610.png

It looks like the Android VIOFO app and the iOS VIOFO have different version numbers. iOS version 2.8 seems to have been recently updated.

1657153949013.png

Another update on this effort, so far it's still a fail; as of last night I've now twice checked to see if the firmware update was installed, and it appears it's not updating successfully.

For a renewed effort I'm going to clear out and reformat the memory card, reload the .bin file, and reinsert… I'll try to get this done in a day or so.

The screenshot below shows the .bin I downloaded, and the current specs per the app installed on my phone that's synced to the T130.

New Project.jpg

Here's what my T130 reports for the installed firmware versions (front and rear) with the latest firmware files (as of 11-July-2022):

1657564022116.png

T130 Front Camera Firmware File:
V1.2_0510 firmware file FWT130A.bin size in bytes: 4724364
md5 checksum: 4aebc75e166876801cf5f08402e9adf8

T130 Rear Camera Firmware File:
V1.1_0120 firmware file EthcamTxFW.bin size in bytes: 1962172
md5 checksum: d9259d6a80f66f29f4931666241dcd95

Success on my second attempt. I believe placing the .bin file above the root DCIM folder on the memory card resolved the issue. I can now turn off the cam's LED status lights. I've opted to keep the red recording status light on and the other three lights off. It was a bit inconvenient to have the hardware completely reset as I had to spend 15 minutes getting the cam's wifi connection and customized settings setup again, but it's all looking good now.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 7.44.34 AM.jpg

I still haven't installed the hardwire kit or the third camera, but a multimeter I ordered just got delivered, so I'm going to tackle that next…

The advice is to always use a freshly formatted small capacity card.

As you say, DCIM isn't the root folder and shouldn't be there on a formatted card.

Firmware update worked without issue on a 256 GB card. I did not reformat, I only deleted all media files within the DCIM folder. I pasted the .bin inside the DCIM as well as pasting a duplicate above it. At this time I cannot say which .bin got picked up to run the firmware update -- I'll pull the card for analysis soon and see if either of the .bin files were deleted so we can see which was successfully read and utilized. (And I appreciate the correction, the DCIM folder is not the root of the memory card -- thanks!)

Firmware update worked without issue on a 256 GB card. I did not reformat, I only deleted all media files within the DCIM folder. I pasted the .bin inside the DCIM as well as pasting a duplicate above it. At this time I cannot say which .bin got picked up to run the firmware update -- I'll pull the card for analysis soon and see if either of the .bin files were deleted so we can see which was successfully read and utilized. (And I appreciate the correction, the DCIM folder is not the root of the memory card -- thanks!)
You cannot place the file inside any folder, that's why it wasn't working for you. Needs to be in the root directory, not in any folders.

From the VIOFO older support page for the T130:

How to update the T130 dash camera?​
  1. Use a memory card (recommend 16GB-128GB memory card) formatted by camera or on the computer to FAT32.
  2. Copy the attached FWT130A file to the root of the card. (Parallel to the DCIM folder)
  3. Power the camera and the REC will flash rapidly when it is updating,
  4. The bin file will be automatically deleted after the update
As stated in previous posts, using a freshly formatted microSD card is best, but you can update the firmware with a microSD card that already has the DCIM directory present at the root of the file system. You copy the firmware bin file to the root directory. You'll see the DCIM directory and the FWT130A.bin file in the directory listing after copying the firmware file to the microSD card. The one thing not listed in those steps is that you must go into the firmware settings and reselect every single setting you changed when you update the front camera's firmware.

The same steps are used when updating of the rear camera's firmware file EthcamTxFW.bin. Only update one firmware file at a time - meaning do not copy both firmware files to the root directory of the microSD card at the same time.

Hoi wie heeft ervaring van wifi verbinding van T130 op de boek je standaard 12345678 wachtwoordt eerste keer heeft gewerkt daarna niet meer vraagt telkens wachtwoordt fout wat doe ik verkeerd?

Hoi wie heeft ervaring van wifi verbinding van T130 op de boek je standaard 12345678 wachtwoordt eerste keer heeft gewerkt daarna niet meer vraagt telkens wachtwoordt fout wat doe ik verkeerd?
Please try to reset the camera or update the firmware.

Back