VIOFO Voice command improvement suggestion

ogzogz

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
A minor improvement could be made for voice command.

In cameras with a screen and voice command, we use the screen open command to wake up the screen saver.
Voice commands include show rear camera and show front camera.
When the screen saver is activated, it would be good if the show rear camera or show front camera commands wake up the screen without the need for the turn on screen command.
@viofo @VIOFO-Support

In cameras with a screen and voice command, we use the screen open command to wake up the screen saver.
When the screen saver is activated, it would be good if the show rear camera or show front camera commands wake up the screen without the need for the turn on screen command.
@viofo @VIOFO-Support

I like it!

Actually, sometime in the not too distant future dash cams are likely to obtain some kind of true AI capabilities that goes beyond voice control the way AI is now about to come directly to smart phones. Of course, dash cams will need more powerful processors and memory than they have now. On the other hand, it may be that when you speak to your dash cam in the future it will communicate via wifi or bluetooth with the AI already in your phone to engage functionalities in your camera or provide answers such as for example, the temperature of your camera, how much memory is still available on your memory card and what condition the memory card is in. Maybe it it will be possible to tell the camera to protect files for specific types of events and alert your phone with a text about certain types of events.

There are very small chances the voice commands list to be enlarged. It is complicated.

There are very small chances the voice commands list to be enlarged. It is complicated.

Only a few years ago we would never have expected the voice commands we currently have in our dash cams to exist at all. Similarly, we really have no way to know for certain what voice commands, capabilities and other unique features might become available in the future. This is especially true with the rise of artificial intelligence which is already about to become available in small portable devices like phones.

Not complicated, just time consuming and thus expensive to train the AI to recognise a command spoken in every accent on Earth while spoken in a noisy car with any type and volume of music playing in the background, while not being able to consult the cloud as Siri does. The recent Viofo dashcams have a reasonably powerful AI processor for things like this.

If there are some important ones to add then maybe a whole batch can be added... make a list...

Not complicated, just time consuming and thus expensive to train the AI to recognise a command spoken in every accent on Earth while spoken in a noisy car with any type and volume of music playing in the background, while not being able to consult the cloud as Siri does.

At some point, AI will be able to accommodate and self train for these potential issues, if not already. As I mentioned earlier, it is possible that we might see some sort of hybrid system where the user's phone does all the AI heavy lifting and communicates back and forth with the camera which will have enough processing power to handle commands and tasks it is assigned.

At some point, AI will be able to accommodate and self train for these potential issues, if not already. As I mentioned earlier, it is possible that we might see some sort of hybrid system where the user's phone does all the AI heavy lifting and communicates back and forth with the camera which will have enough processing power to handle commands and tasks it is assigned.
What sort of commands and tasks are you thinking of?

Something like the voice command "Upload the last two minutes of dashcam front and rear footage to my "Dashcam" iCloud folder.", would be a command for the App to execute on the phone, not for the dashcam. The AI processor in the dashcam should be for things like using HDR to make license plates more readable at all times of day.

What sort of commands and tasks are you thinking of?

Something like the voice command "Upload the last two minutes of dashcam front and rear footage to my "Dashcam" iCloud folder.", would be a command for the App to execute on the phone, not for the dashcam. The AI processor in the dashcam should be for things like using HDR to make license plates more readable at all times of day.

There are many possibilities for what the camera (and phone) might do. I mentioned a few in my earlier post. Potentially, in the future any setting in the menu could be changed with an AI voice command but there could be other functions we can't even imagine yet. I mentioned the possibility of real time monitoring of memory card health for example or being able to tell the camera to capture specific types of events and send an alert text to your phone when away from your vehicle.

I believe your thinking (like Mtz) is still based on current technology rather than what will be coming sooner than you may expect as the AI tech wave accelerates. My Gosh, when I think about what my first dash cam was like when I purchased it back in 2010 compared to what is available today in regard to features, capabilities, image quality and reliability, much if it would have been hard to imagine back then and now with AI we are entering an historic, game changing new era in technology. Dedicated dash camera power packs and 512 GB and bigger high speed memory cards were also only a far off, almost impossible to imagine fantasy back then, as was 4K, HDR and Starvis 2 level low light performance and dynamic range.

Last edited:

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
I thought this could be optimized, we will check this soon.

I believe your thinking (like Mtz) is still based on current technology rather than what will be coming sooner than you may expect as the AI tech wave accelerates.
That seems to be the story of AI, something unknown is coming, sooner than you expect.

That was the story last century, and is still the story today, not quite as bad as nuclear fusion, since AI is now performing a few useful functions, but it is not arriving very fast, it is mainly marketing!

The purpose of a dashcam is to record. You can add things like lane monitoring, but that is the job of the car, speed camera warnings, but that is the job of the navigation system, and cloud functions, whatever they are. Very few people actually use these extra dashcam features, in fact Viofo don't have them, and almost zero people complain!

So what can AI add to the dashcam's main job of recording?

I really like Viofo's voice notifications, excellently implemented, I wouldn't buy or recommend a dashcam without voice in 2024; but I was putting voice notifications into recording equipment last century, it is not exactly a new AI function! Voice synthesis has improved a bit in 25 years, and voice recognition has improved a lot, but it is fundamentally the same, and if you try some of Viofo's competition, with excessively chatty voice notifications, you realise that it is not the AI bit that is the clever bit, it is the implementation that makes it excellent.

I found Vantrue's essay on voice control dashcams interesting, makes it seem like the future is here today; make sure your Voice Control Dashcam has Voice Command Encryption :unsure:

(Just to avoid anyone worrying, Viofo uses an AI processor inside the camera for voice recognition, the voice commands are not transmitted anywhere!)

A dashcam is a recording device, they improve over time, but don't expect some futuristic AI Tech Wave to fundamentally change them, only to enable them to record better, and to improve usability a little.

That seems to be the story of AI, something unknown is coming, sooner than you expect.

That was the story last century, and is still the story today, not quite as bad as nuclear fusion, since AI is now performing a few useful functions, but it is not arriving very fast, it is mainly marketing!

I believe your dismissive assessment of Artificial Intelligence is utterly lacking in understanding, knowledge and historical perspective. In addition, I think characterizing AI as merely having a "few useful functions" and brushing it off as marketing hype is woefully naïve.

Artificial Intelligence as we know it today began with a seminal paper by Alan Turing in 1950 exploring the mathematical possibility of artificial intelligence which has now become a potential practical reality because computers were in 1950 poised to reach a new era. Before 1949 computers lacked a key prerequisite for intelligence; they couldn’t store commands, only execute them. Computers could be told what to do but couldn’t remember what they did.

68 years ago, in 1956, at Dartmouth College in Hanover New Hampshire, not far from where I live, a germinal event occurred with the convening of The Dartmouth College Artificial Intelligence Conference originally known as the Dartmouth Summer Research Project on Artificial Intelligence. Key figures in computer science at the time, such as Marvin L Minsky (MIT), Nathanial Rochester (IBM), Claude Shannon (Bell Labs) and others offered workshops, presentations and discussions. It was at this historic conference where the term, "Artificial Intelligence" was introduced and it was at this conference that the academic field of research into artificial intelligence was founded.

As with many world changing technological developments such as nuclear energy (fission or fusion) modern air travel, space flight, interplanetary exploration, medicine and many others including AI, it can take generations before these developments come fully into fruition.

Many prominent scholars, futurists and computer scientists such as Ray Kurzweill and author and professor Vernor Vinge have predicted that AI would not begin to come into its own until the mid to about 2030 . In other words right about now! Vernor Vinge pointed out in his 1993 paper that, "The acceleration of technological progress has been the central feature of this century."In 1993 he accurately predicted that it would begin to happen within 30 years which is exactly now!. Ray Kurzweil who is known for many technological accomplishments and accurate predictions is known for Kurzweil's Law otherwise known as the Law of Accelerating Returns whichs decribes the tendency for technological advances to feed on themselves exponentially, increasing the rate of further advance, and pushing well past what one might sensibly project by linear extrapolation of current progress. This is not a new concept but in no field of endeavor in history has this construct been more applicable than in Artificial Intelligence and this is why I said what I stated in my first sentence of this post in response to your comments.

AI is now performing a few useful functions

A few useful functions? :rolleyes:

AI is currently being deployed in more fields than you could possibly count from medical diagnosis and advanced surgery, to product design, manufacturing, inspection and quality control, security, banking, finance, investing, automotive technology, weather prediction, astronomy and space exploration, bio-engineering, energy management, food science and production, etc., etc., etc.
AI is already here!

The AI market size is expected to reach $407 billion by 2027
its already about $87 billion in market revenue in 2024.

We are fast approaching an historic tipping point where Artificial Intelligence will dramtically reshape every aspect of the world as we know it, along with the everyday expereince of everyone in it.

A dashcam is a recording device, they improve over time, but don't expect some futuristic AI Tech Wave to fundamentally change them, only to enable them to record better, and to improve usability a little.

Despite your dismissive attitude, AI is coming to consumer electronics and small devices in a big way and this will accelerate as AI chips become faster, more powerful, cheaper, smaller and more energy efficient.

I can't say exactly when or what new capabilities and features will eventually appear in dash cams but I am certain they will be significant and probably arrive sooner than most are expecting. For example, it is likely that machine learning analysis and imaging enhancement that is already in widespread use in astronomy and medical diagnostics will eventually arrive in some form in dash cameras. When that happens the problem of license plate capture in challenging situations will cease to be a problem for example. AI enabled cameras will analyze image data, learn from it, make processing decisions and perform actions based on that analysis using intelligent algorithms and machine learning techniques. A blurry license plate will suddenly be rendered quite readable. And yes, as a recording device dash cams have improved over time but according to the Law of Accelerating Returns these improvements will come sooner and be far more profound than many of us are expecting.

It is at times like this when I think about the noted author Arthur C Clark's "Three Laws" of which the third law (my personal favororite) is perhaps the most well known.

The laws are:
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Last edited:
f there are some important ones to add then maybe a whole batch can be added... make a list...
The requests will be forever. Adding one command then another user wants another command and so on. And when one command will be not implemented we will start blaming the company to not solve such simple requests.

The requests will be forever. Adding one command then another user wants another command and so on. And when one command will be not implemented we will start blaming the company to not solve such simple requests.

When true AI comes to dash cams I don't think it will work like that. The camera will likely have a library of common and potential commands already built into it not unlike the spell checker or dictionary in your smartphone. And when 5G becomes ubiquitous a lot more information will be instantly available to an AI enabled dash cam.

As I mentioned above, the technological advancements and improvements since I bought my first dash cam in 2010 which couldn't even see at all in dim lighting or have any of today's features like voice control or parking modes have been remarkable. According to the Law of Accelerating Returns the advances will come faster and be more dramatic than over the last 14 years.

More voice commands more errors.
You are speaking from books. In manufacturing it is not so easy. We can tell anything we can imagine about AI but in the real world right now it is complicated like I wrote. Viofo is not creating the AI part. Now maybe you understand that is complicated.

When true AI comes to dash cams I don't think it will work like that. The camera will likely have a library of common and potential commands already built into it not unlike the spell checker or dictionary in your smartphone. And when 5G becomes ubiquitous a lot more information will be instantly available to an AI enabled dash cam.

As I mentioned above, the technological advancements and improvements since I bought my first dash cam in 2010 which couldn't even see at all in dim lighting or have any of today's features like voice control or parking modes have been remarkable. According to the Law of Accelerating Returns the advances will come faster and be more dramatic than over the last 14 years.
Well, I suppose you never know what will arrive in the next few years, there are certainly some interesting AI features supposed to be arriving:

businesskorea said:
Samsung Electronics is also rapidly incorporating AI into its image sensor business. This year, the company unveiled a 200-megapixel image sensor with an advanced zoom feature called Zoom Anyplace, which uses AI technology for automatic object tracking during close-ups. Samsung has set a long-term business goal to commercialize “Humanoid Sensors” capable of sensing and replicating human senses, with a road map to develop image sensors that can capture even the invisible by 2027.

More voice commands more errors.
You are speaking from books. In manufacturing it is not so easy. We can tell anything we can imagine about AI but in the real world right now it is complicated like I wrote. Viofo is not creating the AI part. Now maybe you understand that is complicated.

As I've said from the beginning I am talking about future developments. Many things with technology such as dash cams are complicated, including the current voice commands.

And most of what is available in the smartphone in your pocket would have been unimaginable only a few years ago. For example, the face recognition in my iPhone works flawlessly. The way your present this I'll bet you would have said it is impossible and too error prone.

What makes you such an expert in what is available or will soon or eventually be available in dash cam AI that you can tell us what will be viable and what won't be? It is not enough to simply just say, "It's too complicated".

Well, I suppose you never know what will arrive in the next few years, there are certainly some interesting AI features supposed to be arriving:

We don't know what will or will not happen but I'm fairly confident that AI image processing and enhancement is something we will eventually see in most cameras, including dash cams. It could really solve the license plate capture problem by processing and extracting data from poor captures.

I also think we may see features or capabilities none of us can imagine yet. The AI object tracking mentioned in your link offers a hint about such things.

Like other tech, AI chips will get smaller, cheaper and more energy efficient over time.

As I've said from the beginning I am talking about future developments.
Of course everything about AI is about future. But right now is not possible to easy implement voice commands on Novatek dashcams. I think the voice command code is not even made by Novatek. People should not expect that dashcam manufacturers will quickly implement such requests. Come today here and say I want this and tomorrow the manufacturer will bring that. Maybe for other options but not for voice commands.

@Dashmellow: I love your enthusiasm, but I don't share it. Computers, as they are build today and in the foreseeable future, compute. Nothing intelligent about it. The intelligence comes from the people that build them and program them. AI = marketing. For some it touches on Arthur C Clark's 3rd law, but it isn't magic. It's just optimized processors using very clever algorithm (there is the intelligence part) to iterate through a vast amount of data and coming up with something that people can recognize, when used in 'communicating' with a bot. The algorithms are 'trained' to optimize the 'shifting through a lot of data' process. But they didn't go to school, nor is there analytics involved that the scientific community depicts as intelligence. And ever too often the algorithm get it wrong and come up with solutions that make people want to kill themselfs. (Sad but true story).

It is a lot of marketing misuse of words to obtain a lot of money. As marketing often is.

However, the algorithms can be optimized to recognize patterns and act upon them. That is what happens in the examples you mentioned, recognize cancer cells between healthy cells. Recognize characters on a picture that contains a license plate (LPR). For dashcams THAT would be usefull. And yes, it will be called AI by the advertising company. But that doesn't make it AI in any shape or form.

Of course everything about AI is about future. But right now is not possible to easy implement voice commands on Novatek dashcams. I think the voice command code is not even made by Novatek. People should not expect that dashcam manufacturers will quickly implement such requests. Come today here and say I want this and tomorrow the manufacturer will bring that. Maybe for other options but not for voice commands.

You start out acknowledging that I was talking about future developments in consumer electronics yet you conclude your argument by going right back to talking about the current state of the art. As for what people may or may wish to have "tomorrow" we yet don't know what or when that will be but I can guarantee that whatever it is will surprise you.

Back