Viofo VS1

My dji osmo action record 4K 60 FPS at 100 mbit, nothing wrong with that.
TBH i would prefer a 30 FPS 4K dashcam recording at 100 mbit , but you would then have to provide me with another means of storage and data transfer / backup CUZ in that case even a 2 TB drive will not store a whole lot of footage.

I dont think that is a ressources issue, i have seen this now and then, it instantly throw me off when i am used to see A - B - A - B on the file list and then suddenly it is A- B - B - A

I have indeed noticed the Vantrue N5 are slower to boot its 4 channels, but compared to other cameras currently in my car it is not super slow.

My personal preference will remain 2 channel systems.
Same when I had a DJI Osmo Pocket and a pretty good interface and well supported with updates. Worked very reliably for me in the year that I had it - you hear horror stories with GoPro.

The first version will be without CPL. The CPL can cause the rainbow effect in the daytime, and affect nighttime video quality.
:unsure: I'm confused. That rational tells me a CPL should never be used with this camera. 'Rainbows' during daytime and reduced video quality at night - there is no other time when it can be used.
What will be done differently after the first version is released?

What will be done differently after the first version is released?
The second version will have a CPL, then you can choose which version you want.
Maybe the second version will also have a warning not to use it on cars with ceramic windshield tint.
It is a dashcam for those who don't have sufficient DIY skills to fit the CPL themselves ;)

The reason I keep asking you to make all your cameras with 4K60fps & 2K60fps resolution options is because it requires overbuilding the camera systems to cope with higher performance demands.
If all of our cameras are 4K 60fps or 2K 60fps dashcams, maybe we will close soon. :)
A fake 4K dash cam is selling much better than a true 4K. You can check this on Amazon.

As there is a more powerful chipset coming, a true 4K 60fps will be not far away.

As there is a more powerful chipset coming, a true 4K 60fps will be not far away.
You guys are coming out with new models like gangbusters.
You know what the market wants that you don’t have.
A “temporary” dash cam specifically designed for people who use rental cars often, or people that have jobs that require them to drive multiple different cars throughout the day, or the week.
They need a camera that can be quickly swapped between vehicles.
This is should be something hanging from a suction cup, or even rear view mirror mounted.
There’s not a single dash cam with those capabilities I can think of that I would recommend.
But if there was one made by Viofo, I’me sure it would be good.
Something like this;

Or even like this;

Pelsee Please .png

This company Pelsee has been emailing every month for the past 6 months to make a YouTube video about this one.
I can tell just by the item description it not going to be good.

Those of us with broader, longer term experience and less tunnel vision than @Panzer Platform have been using Mobius cameras for many years as our go-to temporary dash cam for rental vehicles and similar purposes due to their extreme portability and small size, image quality and numerous mounting options.They can be mounted with adhesive mounts, suction mounts, GoPro mounts and even clip-on sun visor mounts. Anthing with a 1/4-20 tripod thread will work with a Mobius.

Accordingly, I would love to see the original Gitup F1 4K which is in a a class of design similar to the Mobius updated and modernized with the Novatek 96529 SoC and the Starvis 2 sensor. It could make for a very appeaing action camera/dash camera if @viofo were to refine it and bring it up to today's standards. It would certainly make an excellent "portable", discreet and easy to install option for temporary or permanent dash cam service.

Those of us with broader, longer term experience and less tunnel vision than @Panzer Platform have been using Mobius cameras for many years as our go-to temporary dash cam for rental vehicles and similar purposes due to their extreme portability and small size, image quality and numerous mounting options.They can be mounted with adhesive mounts, suction mounts, GoPro mounts and even clip-on sun visor mounts. Anthing with a 1/4-20 tripod thread will work with a Mobius.

Accordingly, I would love to see the original Gitup F1 4K which is in a a class of design similar to the Mobius updated and modernized with the Novatek 96529 SoC and the Starvis 2 sensor. It could make for a very appeaing action camera/dash camera if @viofo were to refine it and bring it up to today's standards. It would certainly make an excellent "portable", discreet and easy to install option for temporary or permanent dash cam service.
We will consider the advice. I am not sure how many users will still like the Mobius design.
I remembered the Mobius is more popular for the FPV.

You guys are coming out with new models like gangbusters.
You know what the market wants that you don’t have.
A “temporary” dash cam specifically designed for people who use rental cars often, or people that have jobs that require them to drive multiple different cars throughout the day, or the week.
They need a camera that can be quickly swapped between vehicles.
This is should be something hanging from a suction cup, or even rear view mirror mounted.
There’s not a single dash cam with those capabilities I can think of that I would recommend.
But if there was one made by Viofo, I’me sure it would be good.
Something like this;

Or even like this;

View attachment 67967

This company Pelsee has been emailing every month for the past 6 months to make a YouTube video about this one.
I can tell just by the item description it not going to be good.
I don’t know about the mirror, but a new model like Viofo WR1 with new characteristics in the line of single-camera DVRs would not hurt. :unsure:

If someone made a remote system, and the remote camera units was the shape / size of the mobius cameras, i would not mind at all.
CUZ the mobius have a extremely small visual footprint on a windscreen or other glass, it might take up a little more space in the depth, but in that direction i feel i have all the room in the world.

For now i would prefer that over say the size / shape of current remote cameras from a range of brands, as they are so visible.
I remember running the mobius and joovue cameras on my rear window, and as i was mounting of the rear hatch metal frame, you hardly could see the little camera right there at the very top of my rear window ( where the rear wiper still reach )
But the little 15 X 25 mm or so end of a matchbox camera with the lens, so small.

We will consider the advice. I am not sure how many users will still like the Mobius design.
I remembered the Mobius is more popular for the FPV.

It is true that the Mobius was initially designed as an FPV camera but over the years it has also been extraordinarily popular as a dash cam. Many of the Mobius threads on this forum have tens of thousands and even hundreds of thousands of views.

I think the current problem with the Mobius is that they stumbled in many ways with the product's development ever since the original Mobius 1 to the point where the camera's popularity has waned. The most recent model, the 2K Mobius 1S was a good effort but they have never really updated the firmware or refined the hardware like they did repeatedly with the original model, so the performance while good, is not great.

While what I was suggesting here was an updated Gitup F1 with a Starvis 2 sensor it could be something similar but different in form. I think it would be cool to see a discreet, ultra-miniature, dash cam that uses the latest sensor and chipset technologies. Such a camera would have flexible mounting options and include a 14/20 tripod thread mount. A camera like this would be stealthy, discreet, versatile and easy to mount in different scenarios. Another similar fantasy has been a high performance, ultra-miniature wedge camera......basically, an ultra-miniature, stealthy half sized A119 Mini 2. It would be challenging to engineer but I think it could be done with an approach similar to how the F1 is built.

These qualities, especially stealth, performance and mounting flexibility are the reason I and others here on DCT still use Mobius cams as side facing cameras and as telephoto cams.

Looks interesting - sure reminds me of the WR1 and Garmin Mini series.

Must be an new entry/budget level on WM1, but with Starvis 2 and HDR?
Interesting design for a single channel camera, with vertical orientation, perhaps an alternative to the WM1?

Nice to see Starvis 2 (IXM675) and HDR in an entry level camera.
Alternative to the WR1
Built-in CPL. (y)

The first version will be without CPL. The CPL can cause the rainbow effect in the daytime, and affect nighttime video quality.
The CPL doesn't support attaching separately.
The case should be made with 4 small holders or to put or remove the CPL.
What about 2K60fps option?
I want my MTV. lol
You know the 60FPS is useless for a dashcam. 30FPS is more than enough.
I am still waiting for the shocking video created by somebody that will prove that 60FPS is great but 30FPS is bad on a dashcam on a public road.
In my opinion, bitrate matters more than fps.
I consider that the size of the CMOS matters more than anything and then the HDR. IMX678 is the best not because of 4K but because of its size.
Unfortunately nobody want to create a 2K dashcam with a CMOS size like the IMX678. People wants 4K even it is fake.
I have indeed noticed the Vantrue N5 are slower to boot its 4 channels, but compared to other cameras currently in my car it is not super slow.
Fast boot is not mandatory for the dashcam. Start the engine and until you will be ready to go on the road the dashcam will record. I don't expect people to move the car in less than 12 seconds if they are fitting the seatbelt and looking into the mirrors.
The second version will have a CPL, then you can choose which version you want.
Maybe the second version will also have a warning not to use it on cars with ceramic windshield tint.
It is a dashcam for those who don't have sufficient DIY skills to fit the CPL themselves ;)
Do you think many peoples know what windshield they have? They will buy the camera and if some rainbow will appear will blame the dashcam seller or manufacturer. Such warning should be put inside gift box.

I consider that the biggest advantage of VS1 is that is the most versatile dashcam created by Viofo and maybe not only.
You can mount it anywhere! On the windshield, on the dash, on the rear window, on the sides windows, on the windshield sensor box, etc. For people which want cars sides recording this is the best choice.

Attachments

• Viofo VS1 size.jpg
    Viofo VS1 size.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Viofo VS1 GPS dashcam 2K HDR Wi-Fi.jpg
    Viofo VS1 GPS dashcam 2K HDR Wi-Fi.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Viofo VS1 back.jpg
    Viofo VS1 back.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Viofo VS1 main.jpg
    Viofo VS1 main.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Viofo VS1 charger 1.jpg
    Viofo VS1 charger 1.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Viofo VS1 mount.jpg
    Viofo VS1 mount.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
You know the 60FPS is useless for a dashcam. 30FPS is more than enough.
Correct.
Yes, yes, I know Mtz. lol
60fps does NOT increase license plate readability.
30fps is best for capturing evidence.
I still want the “option” of 60fps because it will “force” a more robust designed camera that will increase reliability, durability, longevity even if the user never selects the 60fps “option”.

60fps is not “entirely” useless.
It’s great for beautiful, cinematic “movie making” as @Nigel would say.

Oh yeah, I love the name change for your YouTube Channel.
Old: HD2You
New: HDR2You
So clever.
1080p Full HD was significant when 720p was the “standard”.
Now we’re in the “STARVIS 2 + HDR” era.
What’s next? “8K120FPS2You”
Lmao.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 8K120FPS2You .png
    8K120FPS2You .png
    311.2 KB · Views: 16
Do you think many peoples know what windshield they have? They will buy the camera and if some rainbow will appear will blame the dashcam seller or manufacturer. Such warning should be put inside gift box.
Yes, the people with ceramic tint know they have ceramic tint because it is an expensive accessory which they choose to have installed in their car.
Car manufacturers do not use ceramic tint because there would be many complaints from people who would find their driving glasses useless because they would be seeing rainbows!

Normal windscreens do not have a rainbow problem, although some may have very minor rainbows visible.

30fps is best for capturing evidence.
Only if using 60fps results in some compromise of other features, such as reducing bitrate and turning off the HDR.
Currently most dashcams do have compromises when using 60fps, Starvis 2 sensors cannot manage 60fps and HDR, so currently 30fps is best, but someday we will get 60fps where the only compromise is extra memory card use, then for most people, 60fps will be best.

It is clear that 60fps is unnecessary for evidence purposes.

Maybe 24fps is actually best for evidence purposes, but we don't have that option on most current cameras.

but someday we will get 60fps where the only compromise is extra memory card use, then for most people, 60fps will be best.
I knew I should have added "yet". lol

I think we should wait to the VS1-2 this will be the improved Dashcam of VS1

I think we should wait to the VS1-2 this will be the improved Dashcam of VS1
Will be waiting forever if that is the case, as it hasn't even been released to the public yet.

Back