VLC or not VLC ?

LordHenry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had installed a dual camera dashcam in my car and I'm very please with how it performs (Street Guardian SG 9663 DC). The camera has a parking mode of the pre-set/adjustable frame-rate type. I've set mine to 1 frame a second, although there are a couple of higher frame-rates available. When watching parking-mode video it's like watching a very fast Benny Hill clip (if you're old enough to remember him !). If I should ever need to recover information from parking mode video, e.g. a car reg. number, I want to slow the replay down to a manageable viewing speed. It has been suggested to me that VLC would be a simple option as you only have to operate the left and right arrow keys on the computer keyboard to adjust replay speed. However...... when I tried to download VLC to my computer my Norton anti virus software prevented the download with a dramatic 'end of the world' :eek:warning message ! I did a quick Google check on VLC safety and found conflicting information. Apart from only downloading from the originator's site (www.videolan.org) it seems there is a security loophole in the software. Have any forum readers experienced problems using VLC on their computer, or used another easily manageable viewing programme ? Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

Never gotten that error MSG, but i dont use norton,,, or rather i dident but i do right now as it was part of my new motherbord,,,,, though just a 2 month trial..

Street guardian provide a dedicated dashcam player that you should give a try.
https://streetguardian.info/support
street guardian dashcam viewer ( 64 bit windows and apple )

PS. just got the latest VLC from your link and my norton dident say a word other than hundreds of thousands norton users have this file and it is okay and was released 3 months ago. ( download and install )

VLC downloaded from the authors site is safe, Norton gives a lot of false positives

use the + and - keys to speed up or slow down the footage

I've just had installed a dual camera dashcam in my car and I'm very please with how it performs (Street Guardian SG 9663 DC). The camera has a parking mode of the pre-set/adjustable frame-rate type. I've set mine to 1 frame a second, although there are a couple of higher frame-rates available. When watching parking-mode video it's like watching a very fast Benny Hill clip (if you're old enough to remember him !). If I should ever need to recover information from parking mode video, e.g. a car reg. number, I want to slow the replay down to a manageable viewing speed. It has been suggested to me that VLC would be a simple option as you only have to operate the left and right arrow keys on the computer keyboard to adjust replay speed. However...... when I tried to download VLC to my computer my Norton anti virus software prevented the download with a dramatic 'end of the world' :eek:warning message ! I did a quick Google check on VLC safety and found conflicting information. Apart from only downloading from the originator's site (www.videolan.org) it seems there is a security loophole in the software. Have any forum readers experienced problems using VLC on their computer, or used another easily manageable viewing programme ? Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.
VLC is perfectly safe when downloaded from the author:
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

kamkar1, jokin, lacibaci, Kind people (I'm avoiding gender specific titles so I don't offend anyone and the politically correct people don't attack me !) Thank-you so much for your prompt and helpful replies. Your help is much appreciated. Did as suggested and went back to the videolan site and the download went off without a hitch. I can only assume my initial attempt at a download wasn't the authors site lacibaci. Ran a sample dashcam clip thro' VLC and all is fine. Where would us novices be without such a knowledgeable and helpful group of forum members :geek:.

Back