Voice commands sometimes stops working - is my unit defective?

armadillo

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. I started my car
  2. Dashcam powered up
  3. I turned on wifi using voice: "turn on wifi"
  4. Wifi turned on, I did some stuff in the app
  5. Turned off wifi using voice: "turn off wifi"
After this, I wanted to turn on wifi again so I said "turn on wifi" but the dashcam didn't react to me and continued to record. I tried other commands like "lock video" but it just wouldn't respond to any commands. I tried "turn wifi off" and "turn wifi on" several times with no response.

This has happened before, where it would not respond to any commands, but would work in my next car "session." I'm not sure what causes it. Possibly something to do with transitioning between wifi on/off, or stop/start recording when fiddling with the app.

Is my unit defective? Should I get a replacement?

I sometime experience the same thing with my MIni 2. Often, if I speak the same command, only much louder it will work. I haven't explored this yet, but I've been wondering if the volume control in the menu might affect how well the camera can hear me.

If I'm alone in my vehicle I can yell at the camera as loud as I like, but if I have passengers it can really freak them out, especially if the camera doesn't do anything and then they think I've gone crazy. :smuggrin:

Improvements have been made with voice commands in later firmware versions. Are you on the latest firmware?

Improvements have been made with voice commands in later firmware versions. Are you on the latest firmware?
Yes, I purchased it at the end of July and it came with the latest firmware. I compared the version number in the app with the one on the support site.

I'm on a V2. 0 version of the firmware that came on a recent replacement unit I received after the first camera I purchased on Amazon for $98.00 had an issue. The Viofo web site is still listing V1.0_20231116 for the download, so I don't know the changelog for V2.0.

My experience with voice commands is as described above.

Edit: One issue I experienced was that the G-sensor had a hair trigger even at the lowest setting. The slightest bump would set it off. It sometimes seemed as if I just sneezed hard the camera would lock the video. The new firmware fixed that, but that was not the reason I returned the camera.

Perhaps a bug with V2.0. Viofo is still offering V1.0_20240129 on a Mini 2 thread.

Perhaps a bug with V2.0. Viofo is still offering V1.0_20240129 on a Mini 2 thread.

It's certainly possible. FWIW, I've not experienced any freezes with V2.0 or V1.0. Overall, the firmware seems improved over the latest V1.0 version that was installed in the unit I returned.

I have firmware V1.0.20231116
Is that the latest?

Also, it did it again today. Again it happened after I turned wifi off and started driving.

Back