VIOFO VS1 | added CPL-400 test video

Now that's something I want to mount behind my Tesla Model Y screen... Instead of rigging something for the Viofo A119 Mini 2, A229, A139, etc.

Installation was straightforward. The footprint is very small and the mount is very thin. A breeze to attach, took just a few minutes...

Paul.

20231228_122129.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-04 3.07.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 3.07.36 PM.png
    702.4 KB · Views: 5
180° Lens Adjustment
Video downloaded from Viofo website;

Like I said perhaps it will be altered in the release model.
It is amazing what can be done with graphics these days don't you think.

The reason I started measuring power consumption of dash cams is, before I bought my first Viofo in February 2020 (A129 Pro), I was using $20 cheap junk dash cams from Walmart from 2018-2019.
When I got the A129 Pro I was surprised how much hotter the camera operated compared to my cheap $20 cameras.
I discovered power consumption is a tell tale indicator of how hot a camera will operate.
Over time I discovered the hotter a camera runs the more recording malfunctions it will have.
Almost all of my cheap $20 cameras were low power / low heat, and never had a recording malfunction, however the image quality was horrible.
Most Viofo’s are like “race car engines” running at 10,000RPM to get the best possible image quality so they generate a lot of heat.
So, parking mode duration is not really my concern, it’s HEAT.
-Chuck
hi, I plan to buy Viofo VS1, I don't need a display and gps funvtion so for me its very important image quality and parking mode, low power consumtion.
Could you test the power consumption of VS1? and is it possible to use it with a powerbank in parking mode?

I plan to buy Viofo VS1, I don't need a display and gps funvtion so for me its very important image quality and parking mode, low power consumtion.
Could you test the power consumption of VS1? and is it possible to use it with a powerbank in parking mode?
I currently do not have a VS1 for test & review.
I would wait to purchase the VS1 until the production version with factory installed CPL Filter is available for purchase.
Once production firmware is available @rcg530 will perform his full power consumption test suite.
Subscribe to his YouTube channel to be notified when he uploads his full review with power consumption measurements.

The A119 Mini 2 power consumption in Low Bitrate parking mode is;
169mA @ 12.60V = 2.13 Watts
The WM1 power consumption in Low Bitrate parking mode is;
147mA @ 12.60V = 1.85 Watts
I expect the VS1 to fall somewhere between 1.85 to 2.13 Watts.

All “modern” (Type-C) Viofo dash cams have GPS capability.
All Viofo dash cams require the optional hardwire kit for “reliable” parking mode.
Feel free to experiment with a power bank at your discretion.
Keep in mind there is no power button on the VS1, so you must disconnect the power cable if you do not wish parking mode to operate, for example when your car is parked at home in your garage.
-Chuck

With the size, mounting flexibility and price this could potentially make for an excellent side camera.
I tried it on my car side window and it is fitting very well, it is the most versatile dashcam released by Viofo or maybe in the world. I even created a custom suction cup for it but I need some time to create the YouTube video about this. I hope Viofo will include a spare shoe mount in the gift box because this item is very very cheap so people can use VS1 in two cars or maybe make an adaptation for the suction cup. An advantage of a suction cup with ball mount is that it is putting the dashcam closer to the windshield which will result in less reflections and better image but also you can rotate the camera to the sides or to interior for recording.
Right now I am very satisfied about the image being very clear but some people are telling that is not OK because it is oversharpened.

An advantage of a suction cup with ball mount is that it is putting the dashcam closer to the windshield which will result in less reflections...
That's been a subject of discussion on DCT for some time now and the conclusion is closer to the windshield generally (always?) causes worse reflections. Some time back I did some testing and was able to demonstrate that closer did result in more reflections.

A Taiwan user installed the VS1 on the top of Mazda ND Miata glove box.
View attachment 70453

This can be called an alternative assembly. However, since this vehicle is a two-door vehicle and is generally lower than passenger cars, its location is good. It almost looks like a battery-powered action camera. (The gopro stand on the side is also noticeable)

A similar appearance can be achieved with additional extensions on vehicles with a glass roof or sunroof.

Last edited:
I received vs1.
There was no Viofo 32 GB SD card inside.

There is a CPL filter as an extra. The CPL filter is shown visually below. The fact that it can be attached from the side, just like a camera holder, will provide ease of use. In this case, the existing glass will need to be removed and replaced.
1709219112618-01.jpeg

CPL filter should be standard internal in vs1.
In my opinion, the distance of the vs1 lens to the glass in a vehicle with a standard curved windshield is 4-5 cm. which means more reflection.
other cameras are away from the glass by about 1-2cm.

In summary, vs1 should continue to be produced internally as a standard, not an external CPL.

Additionally, the graphics in the trailer show the rotation angle as 180°. The camera rotates approximately 150°. This means that it cannot take an image on a vertical glass.

@viofo @VIOFO-Support

Last edited:
My latest FW was trying to reduce the oversharpened video - but it's not right as of yet.

VS_Sharp.jpg

Back