VS1 vs RTC300

Hey Dashmellow,

I've decided to try out something else, but I thought I'd ask for your advice.

My current lens is F1.8 and I am thinking of getting a Starlight lens with F1.0 and a slightly narrower FOV. I am hoping that this will improve light sensitivity and clarity.

The fitting spec is not exactly 1:1 fit. It should be OK, or?
If you are only going slightly narrower, then an f/1.0 should focus OK, it would be a problem to focus with the 8mm you mentioned earlier, but for a standard FoV should be reasonably easy, especially if you are happy to have the far distance slightly less sharp. You might find that it goes out of focus in hot weather though, and you are in Oz!

There are a few production dashcams that claim to use f/1.4 apertures, and they have to work with production focussing, which won't be particularly accurate. Probably best to limit yourself to f/1.2 if you want the full image sharp.

Thanks Nigel for the tip.

Yes, slightly narrower to start off with. Never thought of the climate issue, but I will certainly check the operating temperature.

I will take your advice on the f/1.2 spec.

Appreciate your support. Now where can I buy...

If you are only going slightly narrower, then an f/1.0 should focus OK,

Everyone who has tested wide aperture Starlight lenses has agreed that they are challenging to focus, yet you who apparently has never ever reported or demonstrated doing any kind of dash cam lens swap are once again offering definitive pronouncements about something you have no experience with.

It's not that you can't focus a ƒ/1.0 or ƒ/1.2 lens but in practice it can sometimes be quite frustrating. A typical experience that is reported and that I have also experienced is to focus the lens and put the camera into service only to discover it isn't quite as in focus as you may have thought it was and then have to go back and try again until you get it perfect. But of course, Nigel, you wouldn't know that.

Last edited:
Appreciate your support. Now where can I buy...
For an IMX675, there should be plenty of choice, it is a fairly common size of sensor.

Alliexpress, and ebay do inexpensive lenses, probably not worth spending much for a 5MP lens.

If you wanted it to actually fit in a VS1 case then you would have some difficulty, but the VS1 does have the advantage that its lens normally sits a good distance from the glass, unlike some other dashcams, so it doesn't really matter if a telephoto lens sticks out the front a fair way for a DIY job, might need a lens mount extension though for the VS1.

Some people like to focus their cameras using an SD analogue monitor ^ , I recommend using using the live view over wifi, preferably displayed on a decent sized tablet or laptop screen! (using the RTSP/HTTP video stream for the laptop)

Everyone who has tested wide aperture Starlight lenses has agreed that they are challenging to focus, yet you who apparently has never ever reported or demonstrated doing any kind of dash cam lens swap are once again offering definitive pronouncements about something you have no experience with.

It's not that you can't focus a ƒ1.0 or ƒ1.2 lens but in practice it can be quite frustrating. A typical experience that is reported is to focus the lens and put the camera into service only to discover it isn't quite as in focus as you may have thought it was and then have to go back and try again until you get it perfect. But of course, Nigel, you wouldn't know that.
Focusing is actually my primary concern! :)

For an IMX675, there should be plenty of choice, it is a fairly common size of sensor.

Alliexpress, and ebay do inexpensive lenses, probably not worth spending much for a 5MP lens.

If you wanted it to actually fit in a VS1 case then you would have some difficulty, but the VS1 does have the advantage that its lens normally sits a good distance from the glass, unlike some other dashcams, so it doesn't really matter if a telephoto lens sticks out the front a fair way for a DIY job, might need a lens mount extension though for the VS1.

Some people like to focus their cameras using an SD analogue monitor ^ , I recommend using using the live view over wifi, preferably displayed on a decent sized tablet or laptop screen! (using the RTSP/HTTP video stream for the laptop)
For that reason, I might wait for Viofo to guide us with a replacement part option. (Thank them for that if it does workout!!)

I am thinking of using a IPS LCD screened to retrofit and focus at the same time. Otherwise, I'd be lost for a newbie beginner like me. :)

Thanks for your recommendation!

Yes, so talking (speaking) out of your experience.

But who knows! :)

Thanks S&R

Back