VW caddy cam suggestions

D4RK1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I'm after a little advice/help In finding the right camera for my van.

I want to have the camera hard wired into the van, which is a 2007 vw caddy.
My main criteria for a dash cam is for when the van is left parked. Hence the hard wire route.

I've had a good look on the forum and believe that the SG9665GC is going to do everything I need. However I'm open to suggestions if you think a different product would suit me better.

I want the camera to be as discreet as possible so not to attract any obvious attention. It will be left in the van at all times.
I also want the footage to be easy to transfer, ideally being able to send it to my phone would be brilliant. I'm not sure if the SG can do this though?

Budget wise I'd like to keep to around £150ish

Thanks for your help folks

Mark

Hi Mark,

There will be few questions from my side, before going into recommendations.
Let's do step-by-step

Does your Caddy has rain sensor or standard RVmirror ?

Standard mirror but its redundant as I have a solid bulkhead fitted. So if need be the mirror can be removed.

My main criteria for a dash cam is for when the van is left parked ... believe that the SG9665GC is going to do everything I need ... I want the camera to be as discreet as possible ... I also want the footage to be easy to transfer, ideally being able to send it to my phone would be brilliant.

The SG9665GC doesn't have WiFi, however, I believe that a WiFi version is in development, which will not have a screen.

Note that the SG9665GC doesn't have buffered motion or g-sensing. When parked, you cannot capture the moments leading up to an incident, only the aftermath. For this reason I bought the SGZC12RC in preference to the SG9665GC.

image.jpg

Yeah, if you have solid bulk head, then no point having mirror.
Anyway, even if you would had mirror, I guess it would look like this, right ?
This is SG9665GC mounted in my VW Passat.

In my opinion, even if you dont need RVmirror due to Caddy bulk head, then for dashcam to be more discrete it is still good to install RVmirror. Then dashcam will blend in with RV mirror making more discrete install.

SG1.jpg

SG2.jpg

2nd question: ( as @russ331 ) metioned, - do you need a parking mode recording, or just need dashcam to be discrete while car is parked ?

SG9665GC has paprking mode motion deteciton recording, just not pre-buffer recording. It activates motion detection recording about 1.5-2 sec after motion is detected. With pre-buffer recording dashcams ( like SGZC12RC ) there is 4-5 sec pre-buffer ( pre-motion ) regording.

This is how SGZC12RC looks in my car:

X1 Mounted In Car (1).jpg

I would most definitely prefer a buffer on the parking mode. They both look well disguised by the mirror so I'm happy with that. I'll go have a look at the specs of the zc12rc. Thanks for the help fellas.

Cheers for the video link Russ. Really like the look of this.

To use it in parking mode you also need to hardwire it to constant 12V and to prevent car battery from going flat or below minimum car starting value need a BDP ( battery discharge prevention ) device, which is also available to buy along with all accessories for full installation.
The only thing: - at the moment need to wait a little bit for a new batch, developer improving camera lens and other parts of camera side ( should be ready soon ).

I'm happy to wait for the right device. Would you be able to pm me a quote over Niko for everything that I would need.

Thanks again for your help people.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Back