Want to use a dash cam for home security too....

I know the price is attractive but that resolution is pretty terrible. I'm afraid it won't give you much detail on any objects further than five feet away.

Anyone know what the maximum amperage I can safely draw off a 12V-5V cigar lighter adapter?
Whatever it is rated at (2.4 amps per channel), unless the ratings are a lie!

Note that you should only be able to take 500 milliamps unless the thing plugged into the port negotiates a higher amount, something a dashcam will not do.

This is my setup for camera 2, hunting/trail camera inside bird figure, bird can be stolen but at that point there's pictures saved on SD card inside security lock box.
I did this mostly because i had spare camera and this was one good use for it, also at night my main IP security camera gives quite bad image quality and motion detection is not 100% sure, that bird has a infrared sensor so every image has some living things on it, zombies may pass by undetected.
165352.jpg

If you would tie down and paint the white cable house color and the bird would not be suspected of being a cam.

If you would tie down and paint the white cable house color and the bird would not be suspected of being a cam.
Yes that's on the to do list, testing phase looks good and camera with memory card extender cable work just fine. I wanted an owl but there was none available, this would be more natural posture for that bird.

Resolution matters, but a lower resolution coupled with a narrower field of view can still give decent pics when compared to that same resolution on a wide-angle setup. One may not need the best possible if good enough will do the job.

Sabe, that's a nice "bird-cam" but keep the booze out of the bird-bath or you might get some views of a drunk and overly amorous real bird up close :rolleyes:

CCTV cameras work well to record the burglary in graphic detail, but that doesn't stop your home being trashed and your possessions stolen in the first place.

Here in the UK the majority of house break-ins are by opportunist burglars driving up a street and selecting the house that looks most vulnerable. They tend to avoid houses with bell-boxes on the outside and 'Dogs are loose' warning signs because dogs bite with a vengeance. A side-gate works wonders because it stops them gaining easy access to look around the back of the house and because they are wondering what is on the other side of the gate, is it a friendly labrador or a bad tempered Alsatian or Rottweiler.

Ultimately they are looking for the easiest and quickest option.

Once they have decided to break into your house you really do need a proper alarm system installed to alert you of the break-in, and shock sensors on the doors and windows that set the alarm bells ringing even before the glass has been broken. Ultimate defence is of course the smoke generator which fills your rooms with dense smoke in a matter of seconds so they can't see what to steal, and if you really do want to make this burglary a truly horrible experience for them, add the strobe light and high decibel sounder.

Alternatively, as you are living in the USA, if you're in the house when they break in, just shoot them dead if it's legal to do so... just wish we had that option here, might reduce burglaries!

What kind of smoke generator could I get? Thanks!

Back