Waze App notifies driver of an object in the road, and helps them avoid it [DashCam]

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
I use Waze for GPS driving directions almost exclusively.

https://www.waze.com

Here's a good example why:

"[NSFW Audio] from the podcast I was listening to.

I installed the Waze App about 10 days ago, and it has saved me a few times. This is one example. While traveling on the SR-78E, just after the Sycamore exit, there was a large bumper sitting directly in the center of the #1 lane. While enjoying an episode of the Adam Carolla Podcast, I was notified via the voice alert of the object in the road by the Waze App. This road hazard was posted just 9 minutes prior to me encountering it, and the 10 seconds of warning allowed me to reduce my speed, increase the distance to the vehicle ahead of me, engage my hazards to warn other drivers, and safely maneuver around the object in the road.

After the clip ends, I called 1-800-TELL-CHP and notified the dispatcher"

has a user base in Australia also, not sure how popular it is as I've never used it but posts on another forum I frequent date back 5 years on this app

if it gets Googlised (tm) it could turn into something very useful if they pull movement data from their connected user base to judge traffic flow

I read the traffic flow data is linked now, but not aware of google adding the object on road, police trap, red light camera type stuff yet.

I read the traffic flow data is linked now, but not aware of google adding the object on road, police trap, red light camera type stuff yet.

would still need the user input for sure, with Google running the show though they can easily aggregate the data from non Waze users also, that adds a lot of power to the app I think

That's really cool, someone is going to be scratching their head wondering where their rear bumper has gone though!

I wonder why Google still don't integrate Waze with GMaps ??

I have been using the waze app for more than a year by now. I really appreciate how the maps automatically are updated. The traffic flow and warnings are way more accurate and up to date than the similar pay-service in my garmin navigator. In all honesty, the garmin version is (at least at my location) most of the times more annoying than useful. Only in rare occasions it's up do date or relevant to my trip. The downside of waze is the constant need of internet connection, you need to have a good data plan to use it. As long I'm within the borders of my nations I'm fine but as soon I go abroad I can no longer use waze because the cost of mobile data. Also, waze is WAAAAY too optimistic in calculating ATA's, that really shows on long routes. Garmin and waze can differ almost an hour on a 6hr planned route. While driving waze then bit by bit add time to its ATA until it eventually match garmin which has stayed more or less the same and is pretty much spot on. I'd love waze to add a lane assist, like garmin has. That is VERY useful when driving in places you're not fully familiar with, especially when you're in some sort of vehicle needing some planning ahead due to its size and weight. Still, despite this, I really like waze and I use it almost on daily basis, especially on short and medium long rides.

Oh, this turned into a review... ;)

I use Tomtom on the iPhone and it's been good but it's getting outdated now - hopefully they'll update the engine like they have done on Android.

That is one advantage in that I have all the maps on the device so internet is only required for traffic and speed cameras, which is where they make their money these days as the hardware navigator market seems to be tailing off now.

I'm still amazed that Apple didn't just buy them, especially since they helped with the Apple Maps app.

I can't wait to get Google Glass or something similar so all this stuff is piped straight to your view as you're driving along. It'll cause some accidents at first but longer term it will be beneficial. Saying that we'll become dependent on it one day like a guy in the news this week who was treated for internet addiction. Sometimes think I'm the same!

I have found Waze to be increadibly unreliable at telling me the traffic situation on tho 101 freeway. I have a view of the freeway from my office, and many times Waze will tell me the freeway is moving full speed, but I look out the window and see the cars creeping along in heavy traffic.
Whenever Waze says my commute home is clear, I double check with google maps, and usually find that waze is wrong.

I have found Waze to be increadibly unreliable at telling me the traffic situation on tho 101 freeway. I have a view of the freeway from my office, and many times Waze will tell me the freeway is moving full speed, but I look out the window and see the cars creeping along in heavy traffic.
Whenever Waze says my commute home is clear, I double check with google maps, and usually find that waze is wrong.

That sucks, northern or southern California? (101 is huge) I'm not sure what it's so bad if it's submitted by real people. Google Maps has integrated the crowd sourced data into their product according to a few articles.
google maps share waze data

It's been pretty accurate for me, but then again I don't commute every day, or drive regular hours.

I use waze everyday - update all local fuel stations etc - but I find it annoying when in the countryside as it can never lock onto a network - despite my phone working normally, full signal etc - so I often cannot use the app as a routefinder.
also annoying is some latest 'improvement' whereby when I try to update fuel prices, it lists a load of local forecourts instead of the one right next to me - in a strange town, how the F*** am I supposed to know if the station I have just passed is "big jim's" or "KB's" (or whatever)?

Back