WDR on A119S

You need Latitude, day of the year and a bit of trig.

If you had access to a large storage device it could be precalculated and put into a table.....

So, it is a clearer image all the time without a blurriness aspect? Just color accuracy may be off? The discussion surrounding better implementation is good, but I don't know that I got clear understanding of what advantages and disadvantages are. If most of driving is at night then it is better?

So, it is a clearer image all the time without a blurriness aspect? Just color accuracy may be off? The discussion surrounding better implementation is good, but I don't know that I got clear understanding of what advantages and disadvantages are. If most of driving is at night then it is better?
At this point I am so confused between each one. I have spent too much time looking at each footage and still am not 100% sure which is better although I am leaning towards the A119. Maybe some people will give some feedback on their experience. Both cams are good when I say the word better I really don't mean one is inferior to the other but one may be more to my liking as far as my tastes. Also to try to answer you I like the A119 for night time because.... It is clear and the tint gives more sharper footage than the A119S that looks like there is a slight fog making the footage grayish or whitish

At this point I am so confused between each one. I have spent too much time looking at each footage and still am not 100% sure which is better although I am leaning towards the A119. Maybe some people will give some feedback on their experience. Both cams are good when I say the word better I really don't mean one is inferior to the other but one may be more to my liking as far as my tastes. Also to try to answer you I like the A119 for night time because.... It is clear and the tint gives more sharper footage than the A119S that looks like there is a slight fog making the footage grayish or whitish
I'm asking about WDR on the A119S, whether it is better to have it on or off, not whether the A119 is better than the A119S.

I'm asking about WDR on the A119S, whether it is better to have it on or off, not whether the A119 is better than the A119S.
I have had WDR on all the time for my comparison. Did you ever see a Sienfeld episode where the older man sits for hours staring at the picture trying to see if an object will become visible lol. Well I have spent too much time staring at both samples and still can't really choose one or the other. I can only choose one that suits my personal taste. I think I will just let some other people add to this and maybe I will see the light lol. Your presentation was really great and maybe if you have a chance can you do one while driving maybe if you have a A119 vs. A119S can you do a comparison with your findings

Had it on all the time so I don't know what it will look like off never tried it off Not even sure what WDR does

I think we need more time of driving with the WDR setting on and off to see the true differences. What I've noticed so far with WDR On is over exposure and saturation on my calibrated IPS .

Does the manufacturer specify what ranges are affected by WDR? What values are changed? Then maybe we can stop the guessing game.

Do you notice overexposure only on you calibrated IPS or indeed pixels' colour values are objectively flat?

Had it on all the time so I don't know what it will look like off never tried it off Not even sure what WDR does
The A119 my opinion is much sharper at night

Do you notice overexposure only on you calibrated IPS or indeed pixels' colour values are objectively flat?

No, all I notice is over-saturation especially with greens, and with slight overexposure resulting in a loss of distant sharpness. I have two regular monitors on the sides of the IPS, I can observe similar results. I also think I'm too picky, and so are the rest of us. We are all spoiled, so we expect the 2K-4K HDR quality. =]

My biggest gripe right now is with the street light & headlights flares at dusk and night time.

My biggest gripe right now is with the street light & headlights flares at dusk and night time.
Yeah, it is pretty bad (see pictures at the bottom of the gallery here), even with the CPL filter. I did have a pretty dirty windshield though, inside and out - so that probably wasn't helping things. I'm sure this will be improved in future firmware. Daytime looks decent, and I would assume will also be improved somewhat.

Yeah, it is pretty bad (see pictures at the bottom of the gallery here), even with the CPL filter. I did have a pretty dirty windshield though, inside and out - so that probably wasn't helping things. I'm sure this will be improved in future firmware. Daytime looks decent, and I would assume will also be improved somewhat.
What did you put on your dash (black) because there is no reflections what so ever.

a dirty window will cause that kind of flaring

What did you put on your dash (black) because there is no reflections what so ever.
I didn't add anything other than the CPL filter. Some angles with the sun will give a bit of reflection at the bottom though.

Me too on my regular A119. Add to that stop lights at night. Can barely tell red from green and arrows are just blobs. Thought it might be focus, but I can see the arrows in the daytime.

Somedays ago, Novatek released a new version for improved WDR, it is very bright at night, but less details.
Still waiting them to improve.

Can someone post video for the comparison on WDR on vs WDR off with CPL and without CPL?

FWIW:
I had problems with flaring, too. I ended up turning WDR off & setting exposure to -2/3. It really helps when everything is clean (lens, CPL, windshield inside & out). I am very interested in the improved WDR.

Back