What’s everyone’s (EV Exposure) settings?

Tyestick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over the past few days, I’ve been going over my ‘EV Exposure’ settings, and trying to find the best setting.

With the default value at 0.0, nightfall videos ended up being too dark.

I adjusted the value to -1/3, and it made a notable difference.

I'm going to try -2/3 to see if there’s any negligible difference.

What settings is everyone using?

Sound like you are behind tint, in that case it is individual and you are best off playing around to see what you like best.
I have never owned a car with tint, though it is legal to do here on the rear window and rear side windows.

I am wondering if i won a little lotto money if my dream car can be street legal, cuz it come with "tint" on all windows, in the sense that they are a couple of inches thick ( bulletproof ) and so do block more sun than a conventional car window.

I would be okay with blown out skies in the daytime, it is after not cinematic footage we are going after with these cameras.

Sound like you are behind tint, in that case it is individual and you are best off playing around to see what you like best.

No front windshield tint, but I do have a CPL filter on the dash-cam.

Thanks. I did read that thread. I was hoping for more responses from members directed directly towards EV Exposure settings.

With the default value at 0.0, nightfall videos ended up being too dark.

I adjusted the value to -1/3, and it made a notable difference.
minus values normally make the image darker. You need to be careful to test different settings in similar conditions.

Normally I either use the defaults, or a small minus number because minus numbers normally result in faster shutter speeds and thus less motion blur.
A night time image does not need to be bright, because in reality it was dark!
If the image really is too dark, also consider adjusting your monitor, or viewing the video at night when your monitor will show the dark detail much better.

minus values normally make the image darker. You need to be careful to test different settings in similar conditions.

Normally I either use the defaults, or a small minus number because minus numbers normally result in faster shutter speeds and thus less motion blur.
A night time image does not need to be bright, because in reality it was dark!
If the image really is too dark, also consider adjusting your monitor, or viewing the video at night when your monitor will show the dark detail much better.
Thanks for the tips. I’ll keep them in mind.
95% of the time, I view and edit any dash-cam footage on my mobile, and detail isn’t of issue.

I like to take photos at night, but doing that you better remember to turn the brightness on your camera LCD screen way down, or you will think on site you have some awesome pictures only to find out when you get home they are all underexposed.
Using my phone in conjunction with my action camera, it is a pain but not as much as the even smaller screen on the camera itself, and the pain mostly come from me being a avid phone hater, so just touching it bring me down.
The good thing with all the digital cameras is you can play around as much as you like and it will not cost you anything, it was far worse in my youth when film photo or video, was all together more expensive and time consuming to deal with, even if you like me was able to develop your own pictures.

Back