What about motion detection?

Capi

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi experts,

What can you tell me about motion detection? Is it good?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

If motion detection does not work well, should be a big draw back as a recommended dashcam.

FW upgrading can solve it, or not?

The hardware could support doing it properly, I don't believe the engineers involved know how to do it though, even if they did and could do it the design is not suitable, if you want to use parking mode the camera should not use an internal battery

I'd be interested in using it in a parking mode, however running off the car battery - there's clever wiring that'll detect a low battery voltage and shut things down just in case.

What's the problem with the motion detection/parking mode?

motion detect doesn't work properly, only works off the CMOS sensor, not the G-Sensor, if you leave it on all the time you'll find it stops recording when it shouldn't so that means having to turn the function on and off all the time, annoying at best, at worst you'll forget, there's no buffer so recordings only start a second or two after it's triggered, also requires being powered constantly to work which is not good given the internal battery

It seems the closest way to doing this is to have the unit constantly on. I have thought about this and since I don't want the risk of not being able to start my car. My car has a GPS alarm which taxes the battery and I cant fit a bigger battery unless I relocated in the boot. It may suit you, I have to run it by dad as im not the best with electronics

This is what I have come up with:
-Cigarette +12v Accessories power to charger (use existing)
- http://www.fasttech.com/products/1424/10003914/1280709
or
-http://www.fasttech.com/product/1280901
-3100 mAh Batteries $12 USD per pair or $11.44 with coupon code BLF http://www.banggood.com/2PCS-NCR-31...anasonic-p-910641.html?p=PY1120374414201312TN
-USB to Mini USB 3m cable (ebay, pc shop, $1 shop etc)

Another cheaper option*
Premade 20000mAm $12 http://www.banggood.com/Wallet-Desi...ne-Tablet-p-79283.html?p=PY1120374414201312TN
or 30,000mAh $17.50 http://www.banggood.com/30000mAh-Ex...hone-MP4-p-916633.html?p=PY1120374414201312TN

*The latter 2 premade units come with some risk, they might be chinese mAh rated much higher then real world mAh. Also there is no info on the cells used so no idea of life, safety and it might be a false economy. I also have some concern about the output where users state they are not getting charge for tablets on the 1A outlet but works fine for 2A. I can charge my tab on a 500mA outlet on my pc. Charging a phone/tab is a lot less taxing then powering a dash cam.

I will probably go with the first option, I know it will output 2A which is enough for 2 cams to run off one unit, the Panasonic 3100mah is proven in terms of capacity and reliability and life, 4 of these will run a single 1a dash cam for over 10 hours straight. I read that the powerucc runs at 0.7A so expect a little more. They will also charge at 1A each so if you put it in your center consol, you can use a 2a adapter and easily remove (2 plugs) and put the batteries on a good charger overnight. The premade units cant do this and only charge 1a total
NCR18650A%20protected%20%28Green%29-CapacityTimeHours.png

1A is Blue, this particular battery will go down to 2.5 however he didn't test it

another option would be this for $22 US if you want something simplier 10400mah $22 USD http://www.banggood.com/Original-XI...e-Silver-p-923637.html?p=PY1120374414201312TN This uses LG 2600mAh Cells, I am confident that if they went to this expense that it should handle the 2A input/output stated. Although you cant take the batteries out like my preferred option you can still unplug it and use a USB wall or pc charger to charge it overnight. Not really a downside but the only one I would consider is that it will only do 8 hours @1A. After 6 months of daily use it might only get 7.5 hours so leaving it on at work it wont record the whole time. I would still consider this before the 2 cheaper options as you simply can not buy good bare batteries for what they are charging. e.g $23 US 4x 3100mAh (12,400 total) Pana or $36 for 4x 3400mAh (13,600 total) Panasonic (currently the highest real mAh battery available)

Can someone clarify this a little more. So far this is what I got.

1) Motion sensor only starts 1-2 seconds after activated
2) Needs to be constantly powered (I plan to do this by hard-wiring the camera to my battery)
3) Motion sensor has a problem with turning off too soon (did I hear this right?)

From the way I'm thinking, the motion sensor will catch people walking close to my car, including people who may break into it. It also will activate once I start driving, and remain active until after I've parked and am sitting for a while.

Is the way I'm thinking flawed? Will the motion sensor work in this way?

" if you leave it on all the time you'll find it stops recording when it shouldn't so that means having to turn the function on and off all the time"
- I don't understand this entirely.
1) Why does it stop recording? Is it just glitchy and stops sometimes?
2) Why do you have to turn the function on and off all the time? Does it automatically turn off too?

Can someone clarify this a little more. So far this is what I got.

1) Motion sensor only starts 1-2 seconds after activated
2) Needs to be constantly powered (I plan to do this by hard-wiring the camera to my battery)
3) Motion sensor has a problem with turning off too soon (did I hear this right?)
1, yes
2, yes, but not a good idea
3, yes

From the way I'm thinking, the motion sensor will catch people walking close to my car, including people who may break into it. It also will activate once I start driving, and remain active until after I've parked and am sitting for a while.

should and does are two different things

" if you leave it on all the time you'll find it stops recording when it shouldn't so that means having to turn the function on and off all the time"
- I don't understand this entirely.
1) Why does it stop recording? Is it just glitchy and stops sometimes?
2) Why do you have to turn the function on and off all the time? Does it automatically turn off too?

1, will time out and stop recording when not enough change is registered, stuck in traffic etc
2, because it doesn't work properly you'd end up having it turned off when driving and having to put it back on when parked

So the main problem is that it times out quickly and also takes a lot to get it to register "motion".

That is a problem then. I will then think about running it 24/7 with a 64GB class 10 SD card.
Any idea how much drain on the battery it'll use? Know of any ways to hardwire in an extra battery bulk (portable batteries used to charge laptops, etc)

Might be best for a new thread for those questions

leaving it running all the time solves the timeout and delay problem, powering it all the time isn't advisable though as it has a built in battery

If it is constantly powered, why should the built in battery matter? Wouldn't the battery just never be used if it was constantly powered through my car battery?

will constantly be getting charged and topped up, in warm weather that's a big problem, best case scenario is short battery life, worst case it swells up and ends up catching fire

will constantly be getting charged and topped up, in warm weather that's a big problem, best case scenario is short battery life, worst case it swells up and ends up catching fire

That's alarming. Is this a Li-ion battery? They do seem a little highly strung given the various stories of laptops combusting at inconvenient moments.

Hello,

If I buy a 30000MAH power bank how long can my dashcam record if always ON ?

And is it possible to charge the powerbank when driving the car ?

Thanks a lot <3

I do not have the dashcam yet, should I select one that use less power ? Can you help to choose ? Thanks.

Panorama has the lowest power consumption of any that I know of, it's also a good camera and is worth checking out anyway

Panorama has the lowest power consumption of any that I know of, it's also a good camera and is worth checking out anyway

Do they have different models ? Can you tell me wich one is the best ? Thanks again.

Back