What dash cam to choose from the two?

Chechako

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

The question I am asking is repeated so many time here but advice would be still appreciated.

I am planning to buy a dash cam. It will be my first one. I am a total newbie with regard to dash cams.

After all the research I have done, I have two on the top of my list: SG9665GC and JooVuu X.

I am not going to use the JooVuu X, if it going to be the one, as a motion camera, only as a dash cam. I like video quality produced by both of them but 1080P at 60 pfs produced by the JooVuu X seems to me superior.

The major ability that I look in the dash cam is ability to clearly show the license plate numbers. The best possible night video would be the second requirement. At daytime, most of the cams provide very decent video. Reliability and durability are also important factors.

As for the various options, both are stuffed very well. I am not picky here. The price is not an issue.

Which one in your opinion is better? Why?

Thank you!

I have both as i am part of the test crew, and the 9665GC is ahead when it come to night performance.
The SG camera is allso more mature as its been out for a long time compared to the x cam that is a brand new camera, and we are still working on it to free optimal performance and add features.
And BTW there is allso onging work on the 9665GC it too is getting better with age like a fine wine, there have been little things with it, and the company is still trying all it can to draw every last bit of performance out of it.

Dont get too focussed on beeing able to read licenceplates, this time of year in Denmark thats some what of a problem for both cameras most of the day due to the lack of light.
This is a common issue for all current dashcams, they really only perform optimal ( at least in regard to read plates ) in bright sunshine, as soon as the ammount of light go dow they all start to struggle with capturing readable plates.

The 1080/60 of the X camera is indeed nice, and at least in regard to single channel cameras i think this will be the norm in the future, but at the same time the 9665GC will capture the same plates of cars rushing by, so the difference in performance is marginal.

The x camera might have or in the end get a better set of options in the menus, but much of it is not needed for every day dashcam use, its just somthing the X camera got to have as it like the mobius is a hybrid dash/action camera.

I dont think we will ever get the x camera night performance to be as good as the 9665GC, but this is due to the limitations in the CMOS used in the x camera.
But from what i have seen in my tests with the x camera i do think there still is a little untapped performance in regard to night recordings.

I am looking forward to work with the x camera in the time to come, and i do like it a lot as the form factor is right up my alley, and i can use it as action camera too.
So i will be running x cameras in some way or another for a long time to come, but right here and now i have to recomend the 9665GC when ppl ask like you did.

And before you get going both cameras dont really perform as i would like in low or no light, but that is a limitation of hardware in all current consumer grade dashcams.
Both do well at night in regard to proving the driving of the car where the camera is installed is within the law, and should somthing suddenly happen they will most likely capture that too.
But if you are driving on a dark rural road at night you will only capture a blur of that moose that run full bore out in front of your car, even if it just walk slowly and suicidal out in front of your car you will only be able to see in the footage that yes its a moose and not a caribou or elk or a bear.
But even in the light of your headlights you will not get a crisp picture/frame.

EDIT: and welcome the the forum Chechako

Thank you for your advice. Actually, you both read my mind. From what I’ve got to know about the cameras, I agree that SG9665GC is way more mature with proven performance and a safer choice in every respect. JooVuu X is a new kid on the block but a very attractive. The size of the camera is a factor for me as in my car, there a sort of box installed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. I believe it is stuffed with the sensors and antenna. Pls have a look at the photos.

I cannot attach a camera in the center of the windshield but a cam small as JooVuu can be attached with a sticking tape right on the side of the box, either left or right. The box is the same color as JooVuu and the cam will be hardly visible.

SG9665GC has to be installed further off the center of the windshield, probably halfway from the box to the right end of the windshield. It will be visible but I am almost sure it can be removed from the bracket when required. Unfortunately, “when required” will be happening often.

Attachments

• WP_20160209_002.jpg
    WP_20160209_002.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 17
  • WP_20160209_003.jpg
    WP_20160209_003.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_20160209_006.jpg
    WP_20160209_006.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 20
I have the X now as well as an A118C ( same form factor as the GC) the GC form factor as far as stealth goes is the hands down winner. The X just can not compete on that level. I have to say as soon as the GC gets WiFi or Bluetooth to be able to view the videos on a smart phone that is what I will have.

Thank you for your advice. Actually, you both read my mind. From what I’ve got to know about the cameras, I agree that SG9665GC is way more mature with proven performance and a safer choice in every respect. JooVuu X is a new kid on the block but a very attractive. The size of the camera is a factor for me as in my car, there a sort of box installed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. I believe it is stuffed with the sensors and antenna. Pls have a look at the photos.

I cannot attach a camera in the center of the windshield but a cam small as JooVuu can be attached with a sticking tape right on the side of the box, either left or right. The box is the same color as JooVuu and the cam will be hardly visible.

SG9665GC has to be installed further off the center of the windshield, probably halfway from the box to the right end of the windshield. It will be visible but I am almost sure it can be removed from the bracket when required. Unfortunately, “when required” will be happening often.

You might also consider ( have a look ) at SGZC12RC.

Below is @kajmac installation where similar rain-sensor / RVmirror cover is used as in your car

proxy.php

...there a sort of box installed on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. I believe it is stuffed with the sensors and antenna. Pls have a look at the photos.....
Not a problem. Just mount the camera directly on the sensor housing as I did. Center of windshield and behind the RV mirror out of sight. Plus, if you have local laws prohibiting mounting things ON the windshield you're good because it not. :D

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/off-centre-positioning.11844/#post-152641

Back