What do you think about Police dashcams?

MoneyT8

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A118C, G90
Hello, I've been wondering what kind of dashcam police use and did some research. It turns out police first starting using dashcams since the 1970's than the 80's with VCR's on VHS tapes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any footage from the 70's. I think they used a tripod with a huge camera mounted on the ground. Today's dashcam's cost police about $5000!!! Obviously those dashcams are way more sophisticated with dual cams, microphones, dvr's, CD-RW'S, etc. I just wanted to share that with you guys if it hasn't been brought it up already and what you guys think?

Thanks in advance

8165984_G.jpg

dashcam1.jpg

I had a simmilar sized CCTV camera on the front as part of my 4 channel setup, with 30 X optical zoom it was nice to be able to zoom in on somthing far avay.
Then again if you are moving that is kind of a problem, cuz when you are zoomed in its like looking thru a straw.

I think its strange police forces around the world have to pay so much for equipment thats not really that special.

What i have lying around collecting dust.
CCTV-700TVL-30X-sony-ccd-Optical-Zoom-Color-Camera-with-3-90MM-Lens-or-480tvl-sony.jpg

CCTV-700TVL-30X-sony-ccd-Optical-Zoom-Color-Camera-with-3-90MM-Lens-or-480tvl-sony.jpg

Performance of it look pretty much the same as seen on tv cop programmes.

Better optics will make a huge difference in low light conditions. And also, if its anything like speed cameras, they have to be certified and calibrated before the police can use them in court.

I think police dashcams are built into the car so it's very expensive and are tied into other components.

Here is the first police chase on dashcam back in 1988.

Also could this be the VERY FIRST dashcam footage ever?

I don't know which models some local police are using, but I have read in the paper that some of their cameras tend to have malfunctioned when controversial issues arise and some member of the public asks for a copy of the video.

A local paper mentioned a repeated pattern or similarity among multiple cases.

I make no judgement other than lets hope that reliability improves.

The old camera car was a little hot after that high speed run, well I say high speed, it looked and sounded fast but the old low comp 350's back then didnt push out to many horses

Some of the dashcam and bodycam equipment look like its well built and is probably (ok, my tongue is in my cheek) more expensive than our consumer dashcams. Is it really the cams that fail?

There's no shortage of youtube videos and websites that show video recordings of situations where law officers and others illegally try to prevent law-abiding citizens from photographing either them or others in the public realm. I am referring to situations where members of the public are _not_ interfering with the duties of law officers, such as from across the street or in their own front yard or from within their own motor vehicle.

In such cases, I don't understand what the objections of law officers are. Now that the public can provide video-proof evidence, I can only speculate.

I don't know which models some local police are using, but I have read in the paper that some of their cameras tend to have malfunctioned when controversial issues arise and some member of the public asks for a copy of the video.

A local paper mentioned a repeated pattern or similarity among multiple cases.

I make no judgement other than lets hope that reliability improves.
;)

...or could it be that independent video evidence conflicts with...the 800 pound gorilla in the room because of the potential to betray unspoken, often-denied Blue Code of Silence?

I don't know.

The media often present illegal or unlawful activities with video evidence, which often results in some vague admission that mistakes were made, but it doesn't explain behavior or motivation. Surely the human psyche is complex.

Seems to be a lot of police bashing on this site by a few folks. There's no shortage of video with people shooting at police, assaulting police and generally just showing their butts just to show their butts....but we all get a bit self righteous when police dont respond with perfection. Do cops screw up? Yep they do...the human factor....can't get away from it....but the first number you'll dial when things hit the fan is 911.
As far as malfunctioning police cameras...the cars and cameras aren't generally personally assigned....they run 24/7...the state/city/county ...we all know doesn't pay top dollar....lowest bidder doesn't always get the best equipment.

I can forgive mistakes in others because I know I am not perfect myself. Even in life-or-death situations everyone still knows what is right and wrong, so some things are not forgivable and shouldn't be overlooked- ever. Unless you know that something wrong is happening you should not care who sees or records it, and the solution for that is not to end the viewing or recording but to stop the wrong in whoever is committing it.

My state has just passed legislation requiring all Cops to have bodycams. Everyone knows that this is not meant to protect the Cops; these are meant to protect the public from the Cops and one has to question why the Cops themselves will not cause that to happen! And before you say "you don't know what it's like out there" I will tell you that I have been on patrol with Cops, I have been shot at, and I have had to deal with violent drunks and druggies myself so I do know. Life isn't always pretty but that is never an excuse for doing wrong. Good people have nothing to fear from being seen or filmed in public, but bad people do. Kind of shows you where the problem really is, doesn't it?

Phil

I will tell you that I have been on patrol with Cops, I have been shot at, and I have had to deal with violent drunks and druggies myself so I do know

The OP simply asked a question about a particular dashcam...which others, instead of answering the question, turned it into bashing a profession...there are idiots in every job. Sawmaster...just because you did a ride along with a cop, worked at a bar or have watched the entire season series of Colombo at least twice...it doesn't mean that you have any clue of what its like to do the job. You don't know. Its easy to stand on the outside and look in and call yourself an expert. Cameras protect both sides...citizens and cops. To say that "EVERYBODY KNOWS" is idiotic and simply trying to make others fall into line of your way of thinking. Just because a handful of cops screw up, it doesn't mean that all of them are bad. You want to put body cameras on people to ensure they do their job correctly? How about doctors...mechanics..bankers...lawyers...or even better...wait till your mechanic starts to work on your car and run over and start filming him...tell him "Its just to make sure you don't do something wrong and I'll have it on tape." See how quick he tells you to get that out of his face or takes it from you and inserts somewhere special. Everyone wants perfection...but at the same time saying they couldn't do the job because of "make up reason and insert here."
Like I said...everyone wants to be a self righteous expert when it comes to not knowing squat about a particular job...then they all want to weigh in. If you don't like how things are being done, run down to your local PD and apply...make things better, no excuses about pay, education, whatever...just go apply. It would be nice leave out personal agenda and answer the original question.

I don't know that anyone is bashing police. I have very high regard for ethical, professional law enforcement. It's the relatively few bad apples that tarnish the profession. There's no doubt whatsoever that many of the highly publicized crooks who where killed by police would be alive today if the crooks simply had obeyed police orders to stop, put your hands up, etc. The grand-standing "media narrative" and professional demonstrators and rioters ignore that very very simple fact and instead employ crude "red herring" tactics to distract from their own cultural failings.

At the heart of my concern is photographer bashing--law abiding citizens being harassed and denied their rights to photograph (video or stills) in public venues. The reasons and motives of some "bad apples" is not clear. Photography is not a crime.

Overall, my heart goes out to the police who put their lives on the line every day! The Blue Code of Silence, however, belies professional ethics, morality, honesty, trust, etc.

Perhaps "Hollywood" is partly to blame, partly because of that false narrative that "The police are the Law".

I don't know whether bad equipment is to blame, or if it is also a "red herring".

Id say it's bashing...read the posts....the question was about a camera...but it quickly turned into taking jabs at a profession....bashing anyone or any profession, is wrong and I'll defend what I think is wrong.
Want to record police...knock yourself out....and when you video that they did nothing wrong...post that online as well. When it comes down to it...we as society need just about every "job" out there....and it's too easy to bash and put down others on-line. We can have our opinion but there is no need take unnecessary jabs. People record police every day without incident...that doesn't get posted online or make the papers...because it's boring. Hollywood, media, self proclaimed experts...everybody's got an opinion but no one wants to be accountable and take responsibility for their own actions...everyone wants to be special and treated special. Face it, Cops screw up...just like everybody else....but the other 99% of them are doing the right thing though. Easy target I suppose. Don't believe everything the media feeds you...they feed you what they want to. Come have a discussion....but just to walk by, throw a jab or two and keep walking...it's not appropriate in any setting.

Again, the objection to photography in a public venue is not clear...unless you have something to hide.

So a handful that object is enough to vilify the entirety? The objecting group compromises likely less than a percent.
Try an experiment. Pull out a video camera out on a street corner and start pointing it at people....nobody special...but target somebody and tape them...see how it turns out...totally legal but what kind of reaction will you get? It makes people uncomfortable. It iritates people. They avoid it.

Just because you say no or protest doesn't mean your trying to hide anything.

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone on this discussion who is vilifying the entirety.

Everyone who operates a carcam or dashcam in a motor vehicle is photographing people who might not want to be photographed.

Cities and highways, commercial, public, and private buildings inside and out have video cameras--some of which are open and some of which are discreet.

And....you lost me....apples and oranges...moving on...you took a discussion from reliability of cameras to inferring corruption and putting down officers....with the disclaimer of "I make no judgement".. Talk around the subject all you like....you'll not change your opinion and I'll not change mine. Let's call it done.

Last edited:
Not quite Daleg- once again you have misstated a few things. I went on patrol 5 times with 2 different Cops in different districts as a civilian- which we both know means these cops were close friends of mine who invited me to ride along or that would not have happened (plus I think it's against department policy now). We did do violent calls- I was shown the sirchie switch and told what to do if things got out of hand (we'd all shot together at the range so they knew I was OK for that). Twice I was even offered a job with them, and once more in an office role (wish I had taken that one). Didn't feel like heading that direction at the time so I didn't. I've never worked at a bar either but I've been in my share of them (I stopped drinking 12 2/3 years ago). I have simply lived an "interesting" life and have been in some unsavory places and unusual situations along the way. I have seen and done so much that if my biography were published most people would find at least parts of it hard to believe as being true.

Some of the finest people I've ever known used to wear badges and maintain the thin blue line- note that is past tense, not present. Most made retirement, the others quit when they saw their profession becoming unethical, a couple transferred to other public services and two died of disease. They don't like what they see today either, and all are glad to be out (save for the last 2, RIP). Car-cams were rare in these parts back when I rode along, but they all wanted one and those who stayed in long enough were very glad to get them when they were finally installed since most patrol work here is solo and some districts are remote. They were good men who tried to avoid mistakes, admitted them when they happened, and so learned how to not make those mistakes again. Now it seems Cops only want to hide those mistakes and not be held responsible for anything wrong which they do- why else would they not want to be filmed? Film me at my work- I don't care because I have nothing to hide. Film me anywhere in public likewise. Just respect my privacy when I'm due that.

Believe whatever you want to, but get your facts straight before making statements regarding me which you know nothing about. I had more which I wanted to add to the topic here, but I am now done with this thread forever. My apologies to those whom I've bothered.

Phil

Back