What Does Everyone Do For Storage

I neither keep nor review my daily boring-crap trips.
I have only kept a handful of more interesting clips from my >2 years of recording.

YouTube interesting ones.
Delete the rest.
+1.

I started with a 500GB external drive and quickly realized I had to dedicate some time to review the footage that had been rapidly piling up to cut and save what I needed, otherwise the storage space would disappear in a flash. Using a 15Mbps bit rate firmware in the G1W-H also didn't help, because of the "extra" 105MB per 5min of footage compared with the G1W's firmware. RV was (and still is) a great help and I managed things so that I'd always have spare space.
Last month I got a 1TB 2.5" Seagate Expansion Drive for my birthday (good timing, considering I'm planing to use the 18Mbps setting on the Mobius), so now the 500GB drive joined the 2 80GB discs I was already using to archive the older videos.

There is no point of keeping video just driving home uneventfully unless someone needs directions and needs a visual aid. ;)

There is no point of keeping video just driving home uneventfully unless someone needs directions and needs a visual aid. ;)
I received a fine for being in a bus lane a while back. Which is strange, because I always avoid them, even out of their hours of operation - they are crappy lanes, full of parked cars, cyclists and buses, and they come to sudden ends, forcing you to merge in to traffic on the right.

Now as it turns out, I had gone into a bus lane by mistake. It is a notorious one for tricking people into using it, taking something like ten times as many fines as any other bus lane in the country, and I would have loved to have had - and kept - footage of the incident.
The council's website had a couple of photos of me in the bus lane and should have had video too. Rather suspiciously, I was never able to view that video.

Now I don't think having the footage would have got me off the fine, but it would have cleared up my confusion over how it happened.

And I could have posted it on Youtube as a warning/explanation to others.

Synology DS1815+ with (8) WD 6TB reds in RAID 6. 33 TB's on tap but haven't saved any dashcam footage.

Synology DS1815+ with (8) WD 6TB reds in RAID 6. 33 TB's on tap but haven't saved any dashcam footage.
and i thought i was an outlier with my dell poweredge r710 2U server with 6 x 600gb 10k rpm SAS drives in raid for almost 3TB of storage. however, since my linux box doesn't want to use files via samba, and i don't feel like learning how to set up NFS shares in windows server, i have to copy them local to the machine before editing videos. so i've started using an external 1.5tb drive for videos. then i store the finished product on the poweredge server. once i'm done editing the videos down, i toss the originals. no reason to keep them.

:eek: And I thought I was a bit 'over the top' with 1TB internal and 9TB external - and that includes my backup storage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
proliance Managing / Editing Videos 14
Back