What for the sides?

Squanto

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm happy with what I have for front and back coverage but I'm thinking it might be good to cover the sides in case I need to prove who crossed the line or if there are any police interactions.
I really wish I could just record the 360 cams that came with the truck. But baring that, I'd like to put a small camera on each side. The resolution doesn't have to awesome but I'd need some way to record. Perhaps both cams could go to a mux under the dash or something?

Thanks

There is an old thread here on the forum you should have a look at, You'll find a lot of good information in there. Side facing cameras are basically a DIY affair but nowadays there are multi-channel cameras available that didn't exist when the thread was started and that can be one approach. Some of us like to use small cameras like the Mobius or the Garmin Mini 2. Anyway, the thread will introduce you to the topic and give you some ideas, pointers and examples.

Last edited:
Since I know you have a truck, HERE is an example of how 360º coverage can be implemented in a pick-up using small Mobius cameras.

Since I know you have a truck, HERE is an example of how 360º coverage can be implemented in a pick-up using small Mobius cameras.
Thanks. What I was referring to about the 360 recording was the 360 parking cams already built into the truck. It would be nice to just be able to record those. I know the quality isn't that great but it would be good enough for the back and sides.
I like your 360 setup but rather than try to get the full 360, I might want to mount the side cams at the top of the A pillars pointed about 45 degrees towards the back. That still might leave a bit of blind area out from the front fenders but that's probably the area I'm least concerned about.

What's the best source for the Mobius cams?

Thanks. What I was referring to about the 360 recording was the 360 parking cams already built into the truck. It would be nice to just be able to record those. I know the quality isn't that great but it would be good enough for the back and sides.
I like your 360 setup but rather than try to get the full 360, I might want to mount the side cams at the top of the A pillars pointed about 45 degrees towards the back. That still might leave a bit of blind area out from the front fenders but that's probably the area I'm least concerned about.

What's the best source for the Mobius cams?

It sounded like you have doubts that you could get the existing cameras to do what you need and so I was responding to your comment, "But baring that, I'd like to put a small camera on each side" when I mentioned the Mobius and Garmin cams. You probably want actual dash cams as there is not likely a practical way to record from parking cameras.

As for how you mount the cameras, that's really up to you and what works best for you. See how it goes.

The best source for Mobius cameras is eletoponline365 on eBay. They are the factory direct seller in China, a very trustworthy and reliable vendor.

Mobius just released a new version of the original Mobius 1 action/dash cam only days ago called the Mobius 1S and several of us are just now evaluating it.

Mobius 1S - First Impressions

Mobius is a unique, highly versatile and customizable camera with many interesting capabilities but they are not for everyone. If the Mobius interests you, you will get lots of help and advice here on the forum. I would recommend spending time exploring what they are all about before you go out and buy one. There is a lot to know, such as which lens you want on it for example. You can swap lenses or buy with different lenses. You can also use an internal battery or a super-capacitor and they are also user swapable. Start HERE.

Any chance there is an aftermarket version of this? This would be awesome.

The mirrors on my F-350 are bigger than grandma's iron skillet. If I could replace those with some small side cams I'd probably get another MPG or 2 of diesel. If I did the above, the one difference I would make would be to put the 2 video screens on either side of the wheel. That would also prevent someone from leaning forward in the passenger seat and blocking the view of the side mirror. My wife has a knack for doing that at critical times.

Back