Mobius 1S - First Impressions

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I bought a Mobius 1S last week. My first impression is that it looks, feels and handles just like the Mobius 1 that I bought in 2013.

1670843664026.png

Of course that is to be expected since Mobius have re-used the original case, even down to retaining the mini-USB connector.

Internally, the battery and its connector are identical, and I understand that the M1S is compatible with the M1 capacitor.

The lens module ribbon cable is also identical.

As before, there is no WiFi. This is a simple camera.

The lens options are A2 and C2 (same as the outgoing Mobius 1), but no D listed at this time.

So - what's new? (image copied from eletoponline365 eBay listing)

1670845353928.png

Apparently the old model had to be discontinued because one or more components had finally reached the end of shelf life and were no longer available.

The notable change is the new 1440p image sensor (spec unknown). Apparently the hardware spec is limited to 1440p30, but Mobius have pushed this to 1440p60 which seems to work but generates a lot of heat. This might be fine for aerial video with the camera exposed to the open air for cooling, but for dashcam purposes 30fps is preferable anyway to maintain adequate exposure in low light. The M1S does not employ frame-doubling in low light, unlike some dashcams if set to 60fps.

I managed to record 1440p30 for 2.5 hours (150 minutes) at max bitrate of 32Mbps on a full battery charge. Based on a simple touch-test, the camera did not run any hotter than a Mobius 1.

Webcam output is 16:9 1440p30.

H265 is available if preferred. I will stick with H264.

There is a g-sensor for write-protecting video files if an impact is detected.

Camera Configuration

Many of the old setup parameters have been retained including separate Video 1 and Video 2 modes, and a wide range of IQ parameters. These are my initial settings, on FW V1.17:

Screenshot_20221212_115141.png Screenshot_20221212_115155.png Screenshot_20221212_115201.png Screenshot_20221212_115210.png Screenshot_20221212_115216.png Screenshot_20221212_115225.png

Lens Options

At this time the only lens option available to purchase is the A2. Seasoned Mobius owners may notice that I have a C2 lens installed. That is because I swapped over the lens, lens holder and compatible case from an old Mobius 1 C2 that I was not using. Looking at the eBay listing we should expect a C2 version to become available soon.

My intention is to run the M1S with a telephoto lens so I was keen to install the longer C2 lens holder for future lens swapping ability. The A2 lens holder does have a set screw, but it is shorter than the C2 so may not suit telephoto lenses with a long back focal distance.

Only had a quick look at the firmware but it's back to the Novatek line with the 96675 SoC (or a subvariant) and the image sensor looks like the SmartSens SC430AI.

the image sensor looks like the SmartSens SC430AI
That's a BSI 4MP sensor, but with enough resolution for 2560x1440 output:

1670848742180.png

Yeah it will be good to see how you get on with it mate with it offering a different vendors take on night vision - a bit of healthy competition is always good and moves things forwards across the board (y)

That totally makes sense and much less work than new chipsets from scratch like the other recent models were.

@TonyM - I'm not sure how far away it is from your location but I was reading about the Inner Space Service Station not too far and it sounds a very cool place for dashcam footage :)

As an aside I recently sold a couple of Mobius 1 cameras that I kept in my camera bag and the guy who bought them was telling me he does insurance work and uses the Mobius cameras for discrete footage of people committing insurance fraud.

If these are as stable as the old ones they've got an instant market there.

Looking forwards to seeing how you get on with this new one @TonyM

@TonyM - I'm not sure how far away it is from your location but I was reading about the Inner Space Service Station not too far and it sounds a very cool place for dashcam footage :)
Are you spying on me?! I drove past it this morning!

REC_000097.MOV_20221212_141029.560.jpg

Awesome, I did think that was near you and there it is!

I'm going to pop the kids over there soon and not mention it to them, their reaction will be awesome when they see the Daleks and Cybermen up there (whilst I complain about the price of V-Power!)

That totally makes sense and much less work than new chipsets from scratch like the other recent models were.

And aside from the all the work that camera should function properly right out of the box, unlike all the issues with the more recent models.

Awesome, I did think that was near you and there it is!

I'm going to pop the kids over there soon and not mention it to them, their reaction will be awesome when they see the Daleks and Cybermen up there (whilst I complain about the price of V-Power!)
Don't forget the Dr Who phone box, Bumblebee (transformer) and the dog wash! Oh, I forgot Han Solo in carbonite too.

M1S - Lens C2

The horizontal field of view across a line of parked cars is much greater on the M1S (C2 lens, F2.0) than it is on the 5MP Viofo A139, which already has a fairly wide-angle view for a dashcam. They are installed side-by-side so the viewpoint is nearly identical.

The fast F1.5 Lens 'C' from the Maxi 4K would make more sense for dashcam use, being faster and having a more suitable AOV, but I don't know if it is compatible with this sensor.

REC_000106.MOV_20221212_142504.451.jpg

2022_1212_131627_F.MP4_20221212_142507.212.jpg

Last edited:
M1S - Inner Space Station

Just for @reverend I took the M1S on a test drive through the Inner Space Station :)

EDIT: This lens is the ultra-wide C2, which I have since swapped out with a narrower lens.

The exposure appears true-to-life, although I wish the shadows were brighter.

Last edited:
There is a lot of sky in the image. Perhaps a narrower AOV lens would improve the exposure? Also, have you tweaked the exposure settings in the GUI yet? That too might open up the shadows a bit.

That's awesome thanks @TonyM , what a cool petrol station that is (you're 5p a litre cheaper than us as well). i thought it was new but found an article from 2014 - I've been past that B&Q before so must have totally missed it!

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out in yours and @Dashmellow's hands and how these work with the telephoto lenses etc over time.

There is a lot of sky in the image. Perhaps a narrower AOV lens would improve the exposure? Also, have you tweaked the exposure settings in the GUI yet? That too might open up the shadows a bit.
There is a lot of everything with such a wide angle! I've increased the saturation, but left everything else alone. I will try reducing the contrast or increasing the exposure slightly.

Better still, I can swap to a narrower, faster lens.

That's awesome thanks @TonyM , what a cool petrol station that is (you're 5p a litre cheaper than us as well). i thought it was new but found an article from 2014 - I've been past that B&Q before so must have totally missed it!
I think it's been there since we moved here in 2013. They're a great independent garage in a world of big companies. I often use it on my dashcam test drives.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out in yours and @Dashmellow's hands and how these work with the telephoto lenses etc over time.

Yes, once I finish testing the camera as it ships I'm planning to fit a telephoto to it. I'm deciding whether to go with a varifocal or a primary lens, although I'm loath to give up my Hoya 37mm HD polarizer that I use on my current varifocal set-up, so I'm likely to stick with a vari.

Reducing contrast seems to help lift the shadows. I've swapped out the super-wide C2 for the F1.5 Maxi B lens, which is still available for sale, at least in a module.

Can't really test anything as we have freezing fog - time to wrap up and stay indoors.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TonyM Mobius 1S 12
TonyM Mobius 1S 16
Back