What happens when the SD card is full?

rogerbid

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

I have been using my LK7900 Ace for a while now and am generally very pleased with the results but have recently encountered 2 hiccups. Perhaps someone here can help with an explanation of what is happening.

I have 2 SD cards, the standard 8Gb and a 32Gb Micro card. I have been routinely downloading the videos from these cards to my Windows PC, and did not really worry when the 32Gb card was getting close to full. However, this was my undoing!

On Feb 1st, I set off on a road trip with some friends visiting from overseas, thinking that at the end of their visit I could download some of the videos to a DVD as a souvenir of their travels. Being away from home I did not download the videos to the PC assuming that when the card finally filled, the oldest videos would be overwritten first. Wrong! On my return home I checked the card and found that I still have a host of videos up to and including January 31st, and then a load dated 2nd February but nothing in between. Using a Windows data recovery program I was able to recover 25 video files from the 2nd Feb. which were not listed in the File list for some reason but nothing from Jan 31.

This is a nuisance but nothing I am too concerned about - I had not mentioned the DVD to my friends so what they do not expect they will not miss.

However, here is my question: What do you guys do when a card reaches the point of being nearly full? Do you format the card in the Viewer (or in the camera) so that you start all over again, or do you let it run and overwrite the existing videos as it will?

My second question concerns the formatting function. I have formatted the 8Gb card several times on the PC using Lukas Viewer and reset the time in the GPS screen but when I then put the card back in the camera the unit will insist on reformatting again, and in doing so it resets the time to Korean time - not much help in Australia! Can someone tell me how to get around this please?

Thanks very much,

Best wishes,

Roger

Files it overwrites should be oldest first of that type eg Always. Newer ones it kept should be a different type eg Parking, they can only be overwritten by newer Parking. Its supposed to allocate percentages of the SD card to each type that you set in the viewer. If not as aforementioned then you have probably found a bug and should email Qrontech.

2nd sounds like some sort of incompatibility with the card or the way it's being formatted. So try a different card or try formatting it via the viewing software on a different PC. It just formats Fat 32 anyway so formatting via your OS should lead to the same result. I've never had to format a card specifically for the camera. I didn't think it was that picky TBH but some have found similar problems no doubt the same thing happens with every camera [of every brand].

HTH.

Last edited:
Hi Jazzist, and thanks for the reply.

I apologise for the delay in writing again but I have been trying to get a better understanding of the perceived problems with my camera/card before writing further.

I have been using both the SD cards along with a spare I found among my bits and pieces, but that one is just a 2Gb and I don't think it is suitable.

For the moment, I think the problems only arise when the cards reach something like 60% full. I have had some further instances of files going 'missing' but I have found that if I regularly download the videos to my PC and format the cards in Lukas Viewer the camera appears to behave faultlessly.

I shall continue to monitor the performance and if I experience any more problems of this sort I will write further.

Thanks for your interest and the reply,

Best wishes,

Roger

Back