What software do you use for your dashcam videos?

Speedy2k42

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got my first dashcam a few days ago. It's an A118c, and it records .MOV files. I opened a file in Quicktime and was able to trim it, but even when I exported the shorter clip at 1080p it lost a significant amount of quality.

I would like to be able to trim videos and send or upload clips without losing any video quality. What software do you guys recommend?

EDIT: I should add that I have a Mac, not a PC

That they do around the middle of the download page.

Just curious -- when you guys export shorter clips using this program, does the audio get erased? I successfully trimmed and exported a clip and the video quality was the same, but I had no audio.

Just curious -- when you guys export shorter clips using this program, does the audio get erased? I successfully trimmed and exported a clip and the video quality was the same, but I had no audio.
On the windows version right before you export there are three check boxes something like
Audio
Video
Meta (GPS & G-Sensor)
Make sure Audio is checked.

Mac version I don't know but in the Windows version you can choose to strip the audio, strip GPS info, create a subtitle track etc, lots of options

29uu0wn.png

Mac version I don't know but in the Windows version you can choose to strip the audio, strip GPS info, create a subtitle track etc, lots of options

I don't see any menus or boxes like that. I have uploaded a screenshot of what I see. When I click the "scissors" button to trim the clip, it will ask me to name the file and it will just begin saving. Also, after exporting every video clip the program will unexpectedly shut down. I see other Mac users have reported this as well :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 9.59.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 9.59.26 PM.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 12
When I do it I pause and on my time line right click and set point A. I then let it play where I want pause again and set point B.

Then right click and save fragment as

When I do it I pause and on my time line right click and set point A. I then let it play where I want pause again and set point B.

Then right click and save fragment as

Ok I just tried your method and you can see the only options available in the right click menu. Obviously it seems like the Mac version is nowhere near as comprehensive as the Windows version. Aside from me having a Mac, do you think it's because my camera is an A118 and I didn't see that model in their list?

EDIT: Right click menu didn't show up in the first screenshot, but I fixed it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 10.20.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 10.20.38 PM.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
side from me having a Mac, do you think it's because my camera is an A118 and I didn't see that model in their list?
I don't think so.
I've used countless cameras and had no issue.
Also it's my understanding that the A118 is bascilly a G1W in a well built case, and I used to use my G1W files with the program all the time.

My G1W also runs the DOD and Shadow firmware sometimes, and again no issue in terms of cutting video.

I have not used the software below at all, but I did find
http://dashcamviewer.com/
That has both a Windows and Mac version.

On my PC I use IrFan View as my general pic and video viewer
I was going to download and try it, but I won't allow myself until I find a car in their home page car.jpg image
14bt34w.jpg

Last edited:
Back