What the hell is this? We are doing it all wrong...

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Right way is to do it on the outside in all 4 corners. :D

What the hell is this? Cameras?
Looks like old Netgear routers. Very discrete, not.

Fragment of 2016_0811_083A (2).MOV_20160811_211401.603-ed.jpg

Fragment of 2016_0811_083A (2).MOV_20160811_211401.603-small.jpg

I passed him to see what the hell they are...
Fragment of 2016_0811_083A (2).MOV_20160811_211419.205-small.jpg

From rear facing camera:
2016_0130_213134_086B.MOV_20160811_211146.179-small.jpg

Here's video: Dashcam: Vantrue N2 (front)

Last edited:
I guess this car works for lab for some sort of data collection ?

Trying to make a 360° film a-la Google street view?

Indiscreet, but I'll bet that nobody cuts them off or otherwise messes with them :p Were it not for the threat of theft or vandalism I'd have visible cams and large signs noting them (but done far better than this) all over my vehicles. It's a better approach to prevent problems than to try to resolve them after they occur ;) Tailgating is a big issue here, and I'm going to be mounting a G1Wc very visibly behind the rear door glass of my work van as a deterrent. Not as obvious as this, er, "human" but it will be interesting to see what happens afterward :D

Phil

You can always buy 12 dummy CCTV cameras and stick those all over your car :D

Yes, those are indeed ANPR cameras - Automatic Number Plate Recognition.

They use optical character recognition along with standard photography and GPS to capture and store the location of vehicles by plate number. These things are in use all over the world, including 70 percent of USA police departments.

licensereaders.jpg

readercam.jpg

12060771.jpg

Last edited:
Danish police have just gotten ANPR, not mounted to some police cars permanent as i have sen on TV some have.

I think its a break out kit you can put in your car.

Anyway Danish police don't have time for such stuff they are under manned and taking time off as they all have been working too much and have surplus hours en mass they need to get rid off.

If ppl park there as they do there, that setup should pay for itself and the guy driving it in no time.

A 4 wheeled cash cow.

I find it more freaking the software that's able to resolve all the ppl parking illegally, must be quite a few lines of code in there :D

The really sad thing is ppl will not stop parking illegal cuz of this, they just pray they dont get more than 1 or 2 tickets every month.
Or get really creative in a attempt to render ANPR useless.

Yes, those are indeed ANPR cameras - Automatic Number Plate Recognition.

They use optical character recognition along with standard photography and GPS to capture and store the location of vehicles by plate number. These things are in use all over the world, including 70 percent of USA police departments.

View attachment 25176

View attachment 25175

View attachment 25177
I see.Those look the same.
The guy in Corolla using it was weird though and the guy was not in any uniform nor any mark/sticker on the car including regular plates and if it's for undercover, those 4 big readers give it away so not sure what was the purpose.

I see.Those look the same.
The guy in Corolla using it was weird though and the guy was not in any uniform nor any mark/sticker on the car including regular plates and if it's for undercover, those 4 big readers give it away so not sure what was the purpose.

I know that in some jurisdictions the police sometimes put confiscated vehicles into service for their own purposes. Maybe the Corolla is an example of that? The issue of undercover work or stealth may not be of concern to them and there is no requirement that they identify the ANPR readers as police equipment. In many places those ANPR readers are not even on vehicles but on bridges and overpasses where most people don't even notice them.

Here they are on the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC.
800px-Brookyn_Bridge_ANPR.jpg

Last edited:
How about this one? :D

I think this will have to be a model for my next dash cam installation.

View attachment 25179
I'd prefer something a tad more traditional!
DuMont_Telecruiser_-_Early_TV_production_truck.jpg

Government isn't the only entity tracking and recording license plates. Private companies are getting in the game too, generating huge databases. They sell access to various parties - namely repossession companies, bounty hunters, private investigators, lenders, etc... It's like a Google Maps car, but for tracking vehicle locations. Looking to repossess a car, enter the tag in the database, it'll show you the last X times/locations it was spotted.

Back