What to do when power is always on

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I've been looking for a configurable device with more options than those available in the Power Magic Pros and that sort of products...

So just, to get things straight, you connect that Kemo thing to your always-on power source and then turn the yellow knob to configure the cutoff voltage, right? From the product pictures I see you can choose anywhere between 10.4V and 13.3V. The only problem I see is with the configuration being analog I would have no idea exactly what voltage I've chosen. How did you test to see the exact voltage where it would cut the power? Did you just do it by trial and error? I'm worried about trial and error since I want mine to be always on even with the car off, but cutoff the voltage at around 12.4V.

I hooked up a multimeter to the outputs to see the exact cutoff point. When you stop the car, it takes a minute or so for the voltage to drop from 14 to whatever your battery resting voltage is. You will see when the cutoff is right before the output voltage drops to zero.

there is a small box-like item that manage power control should be able to do some help, but still you will need to operate it manually.
or you might need to modify the wiring of you car.

problem solved.

used the box from ebay I linked to above. You set the cutoff voltage under which the box will cut all power to the outputs. Since alternator voltage is right at about 14v, and battery voltage (depending on battery condition and temperature) is around 13, its pretty easy to tweak to get a setting thats on when the car is on, and turns off when the car shuts off. (the voltage setting may need retweaking a couple times a year though when the weather changes)

here it is wired up. note that I could have significantly reduced/eliminated its footprint by hardwiring it in, and hiding the box in the ample space behind trim panels. but i like this flexibility and it sits out of the way in that cubby

IMG_20131201_145514-L.jpg
Hi,

Your setup would address my issue as well. I know I am digging an old post up but would you please tell me all the parts you had? The Ebay link is no longer valid. Thanks

Hi,

Your setup would address my issue as well. I know I am digging an old post up but would you please tell me all the parts you had? The Ebay link is no longer valid. Thanks

Hello karalaok,
I saw your post today and have just joined the site. The item in question is on Ebay ....If item # goes out of date then search by item detail, Wireing needed can be seen on original photo on this forum. Regards, JohnTF
12v Battery Discharge Protector: Battery Guard - 20 amp

Ebay item # 351485296664

Hello karalaok,
I saw your post today and have just joined the site. The item in question is on Ebay ....If item # goes out of date then search by item detail, Wireing needed can be seen on original photo on this forum. Regards, JohnTF
12v Battery Discharge Protector: Battery Guard - 20 amp

Ebay item # 351485296664

Thank you so much John.

Back