What Would You do in this Situation?

I think you did well on a human / decency level, but it do look and feel like that guy had quite the opposite intensions.

Glad the 3rd world dident quite make it to New Jersey on this occation :)

We kinda have the same going on here, orchestrated by eastern europeans only so far.

You do not wanna stop and get out of the car for some one who seemingly need help, or as the case allso often is have some cheap "gold" they want to sell you.

The world is going to hell in a handbasket, but i wonder if Danish authorities will ever notice that.

Given the limited amount of info in that video, I doubt I would have even stopped at all in that situation.

Midnight, only one around, no hazard lights, both lanes arbitrarily blocked by cones, consistently trying to step in front of car to stop it (IE:clear intent to detain), no uniform, no identification......nope, no way I'm stopping.

Even when the guy stops there's no "oh thank up for stopping my car broke down" and the response to "can I help you" is " yeah.......ummmm...."

Taking off was definitely the right decision.

besides, if buddy was broken down, he would have called someone. Cell phones are more common than socks these days.....everyone has one.

For sure something fishy was going on there.....

Last edited:
hell i go through gates that narrow at 50 mph with the steering wheel turned 90 degrees during an autocross. :D

i've also been known to slalom orange through traffic barrels at 70 mph on straight, flat freeways with no construction workers (or police) visible for miles... in a minivan. :D

but yes, not sticking around was the correct response in this situation. if someone's broken down and their flashers don't work but they happen to have a couple of high-visibility traffic cones, they'd put them on the shoulder to direct people around their car, not out in the middle of the road to cause problems.

For the people who are not familiar in that area of New Jersey not only the thugs will steal your vehicle, but in the process they will also kill you. It's unbelievable how they actually have the nerve to block 2 lanes of the NJ Turnpike extension. That should say something about what they think of laws.
If they attempted to block my vehicle in the middle of the road, I would just floor the gas peddle, if they don't get out of the way, too bad.
They have no right to place any cones in the middle of the road.

i don't think that would just be limited to NJ. I would not be surprised to hear about something like this happening in Houston or LA or even Podunkville, Nebraska. criminals know no bounds and have no fear.

also, even if you hit a cone that big at 60 mph, the worst that will happen to most cars is maybe a broken light, if that. it will leave a scuff on the bumper which will buff out in most cases. so if you ever need to run over cones to avoid something, do not hesitate - just do it.

now big orange barrels on the other hand... they'll leave a mark, but you can still run them over if your life depends on it.

Last edited:
Can't get video to play, recently installed latest version of Firefox on Win7 laptop. Adobe flash player installed as well. Tried YouTube, same result.

Tried on YouTube again, now I see. You were right to leave.

Last edited:
Can't get video to play, recently installed latest version of Firefox on Win7 laptop. Adobe flash player installed as well. Tried YouTube, same result.

Tried on YouTube again, now I see. You were right to leave.
make sure you dont have any addons preventing it, like noscript, ghostery, flashblock, etc. and if you're at work (;)) maybe they block youtube?

@Gibson, One of my friends from Texas stated this would never happen in Texas because the thugs know if they create a road block on a highway, it's a good way for them to get shot in the head. He said it would be like target practice.

@Gibson, One of my friends from Texas stated this would never happen in Texas because the thugs know if they create a road block on a highway, it's a good way for them to get shot in the head. He said it would be like target practice.
i dunno about the thugs getting shot like that... having the driver pull a pistol on the thug is possible though. the only "target practice" that would likely happen in the city is of the vehicular variety. no firearms necessary. i live in the outskirts of the city and own a couple of pistols but do not have a carry permit, so they stay in the safe at home. but had i encountered this situation i wouldn't have stuck around to find out what the guy wanted. had he tried anything real stupid, it's a lot faster to put my right foot down than to try to draw a weapon, even if i was carrying one.

sure, us texans (and southerners in general) may have a rep about being gun nuts, but every gun owner i know realizes that it's a big responsibility. it was drilled into me as a young child. i think i was 7 or 8 years old and dad was just introducing me to shooting. when i playfully drew a bead on my brother out in the field (we had 2.5 acres) with an empty and partially disassembled BB gun, knowing the BB gun couldn't ever reach that far even when loaded and put together, dad smacked me in the head hard enough to knock me off the bench, and told me NEVER to point any kind of gun at anything unless my intent is to KILL it. lesson learned.

i do all my target practice at a proper firing range or on a large patch of private property with PLENTY of room or a large hill/berm behind the targets, just like at a real gun range. i know not every gun owner is that way, but the majority are.

Back