What would your ideal dashcam be?

891hdc300

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here. long time lurker. I was thinking to myself the other day what features I would love to have in my dash cam. Currently I have a Nextbase 512 and it seems to be really bulky for what it does. I'd love it if they made many small dash cam terminals that would connect to a central hub. Making it both discreet and ubiquitous. You could then have dash cam on every window that'd record in sync to capture as much as possible. There's loads more stuff I could think of. Share your ideas below.

Such as in this thread?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dash-cams-originating-from-a-power-source.37791/

I love that concept! If some mfgr does that, I really hope that they'd make full use of the opportunity -- make it a configurable system!
If a dvr can record various formats, the system could be configured to the user's criteria.

My ultimate car dvr would have 64:27 format for the front camera, a FHD for the rear, and an HD at each side. I'd also consider a zoom camera, and an inside camera.
Yes, I know -- that would require 3 DVRs. But, I'm a geek and I like to dream. :geek:

Modding a camera to zoom, are probably the best news in my car since 2012.
It give you a chance of what is outside the pretty near field conventional dashcams have due to the wide angle lens they deploy, its not a solution on its own but the best sidekick to a regular camera.

In general the best news of lately are the transition to small remote cameras and moving the hardware off the windscreen, that i feel are the best idea in dashcams for a while.

Of silly things, i would like a dashcam that could recognize a license plate from a list of plates entered into the camera.

For my Ideal dash cam, the form factor for my side would be different from front and back camera. So my ideal camera would differ depending on where located in my suv. And there is a feature I wish I had in my cylinder shaped camera, that isn't necessary for my wedge style. Over the years, I have been editing a text file on things I would like improved or added to a dash cam. It has a dozen points, and needs a description. Some of these items on the list are pipe dreams. I will eventually complete that. Some of things in wish list was made when using an older camera which newer cameras covered.

Like others send, zoom ability would be nice.

Perhaps easier changing of lens.

I would like the time to show in hundreds of a second or by frame. Ie 07:30:41.09 (where 09 is 9 hundreds of a second) or ie 07:30:41 2/30 (where 2/30 is the second frame on 30 frames per second).

Have the event key a different colour from the other keys to enable find it quickly. This is NOT as much of an issue with my A119 as it was my cylinder shaped camera.

My iroad 330ch (cylnder shaped) camera had a problem where I may have hit the audio button when pressing the event button. The Iroad had a voice recording when starting "have a safe drive" or if an Sd card was not present. I wish it had an alert telling me "audio is off" when fumbling around looking for buttons. I read a license plate only to find the audio recording was turned off. However, this inadvertent toggling the sound has NOT been a problem with my a119.

Here is a pipe dream feature, but the ability change time when going from day light saving time like a computer or mobile phone. Also to detect when one changes time zones

Back