What's better for ITB-100HD: 1080p or 720p?

Zakk

Reaction score
Hello,

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I appreciate the advice on this board, it helped me decide to buy a ITB-100HD and also helped me become comfortable with it.

I've been testing it out at 1080p (24fps) and 720p (30fps). Recording at 720p seems to be a lot smoother and less choppy from my experience. I'd like to know what resolution other members here most commonly use.

Thanks,
Zach

Re: What's better for ITD-100HD: 1080p or 720p?

My 1080 setting is smooth as silk (minus the split second hiccup when switching between files).
I'll try 720 and see how I like it.

Yeah, stay with 720p. Also you will save space. I think the 1080p options for all these cameras are more marketing than what people expect from a 1080p recording.
1080p is not a quality, is just a resolution. And for ITB-100HD I think it is a little ”forced” feature.

enjoy,
Mtz

I just kept mine on 1080. But I do experience the small hiccup between some files as mentioned above. Nothing to miss a major event though.

I need to test it too to see if there is a difference between 1080 at 24fps and 720p at 30fps..

Try to test the 1080p also when the sun is shining and is a lot of snow.

enjoy,
Mtz

ExMet said:
My 1080 setting is smooth as silk (minus the split second hiccup when switching between files).
I'll try 720 and see how I like it.
Didn't find any advantage over 1080p. Switched back to 1080p.

Please substract 360p from your last value. :mrgreen:

enjoy,
Mtz

I tried both.
The hiccup between the files is the same in my case.

The video might be a little more choppy at 1080p, but I like the bigger picture on my 30" monitor.
I see no zoom function in the player. 1080 helps me see a bigger picture and easier to see the details if needed.

The 2 images came from ITB100-HD set at 1080p Top and 720p Bottom.

Which do you think is better?

Attachments

• 1080 vs 720.jpg
    1080 vs 720.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 442
1080p is better in your example. Registration plates are the most important thing from a record.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think that 1080p is slightly better in this camera. Here is another example from the same day with a further away car. You can't see the number plate in this one but you can still see that the image is better.

They were both done on a overcast dull day so it may be different in strong sun or at night.
But I still think I will be sticking to 1080p as it may be the difference between seeing a number plate and not.

Attachments

• 1080 vs 720 2.jpg
    1080 vs 720 2.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 249
What I do is this, for all my recordings that need to be submitted to police for court I encode them at 60fps then wack it onto a DVD for them. I did this with my FineVu and my Orange Screen GS1000, it will remove the stuttering from the 24fps in the videos if you are recording with the ITB-100HD..

Milamber said:
What I do is this, for all my recordings that need to be submitted to police for court I encode them at 60fps then wack it onto a DVD for them. I did this with my FineVu and my Orange Screen GS1000, it will remove the stuttering from the 24fps in the videos if you are recording with the ITB-100HD..

what are you using to encode with and what's the end result like at 60fps when your source is 30fps or less?

jokiin said:
Milamber said:

what are you using to encode with and what's the end result like at 60fps when your source is 30fps or less?

I wish I could submit a video to show you the difference but the evidence I submitted is an exhibit in a court case regarding a hit and run from some maniac in a gold BMW. (pedestrian vs vehicle)

I use Sony Vegas, but there are some other programs out there that can do this... I tell you what, to get a very good idea of what the footage would look like download this program and install with defaults and play a movie - footage from camera or a Hollywood flick... it will play at 60fps and if you have a 120hz lcd 120fps a second... all your movies will look liquid smooth and this is what my footage looks like since movies are 24fps too.

Download from here and select SVP 3.1.4 Full: http://www.svp-team.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Milamber said:

just gave it a try, very slight improvement, perhaps that's a limitation of my monitor, I'll try it on something better later and see if it looks better

jokiin said:
Milamber said:

just gave it a try, very slight improvement, perhaps that's a limitation of my monitor, I'll try it on something better later and see if it looks better

Play a Hollywood movie and make sure SVP is enabled in system tray. With people moving its very noticeable... it should say on the media player lassic video program 60fps.. in green at the bottom.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mtz Itronics 9
Back