When people are trying to sell their dashcams?

Thanks for the suggestions. The For Sale subforum is not busy so not sure it is worthwhile to enable additional rules on selling a dash cam.

As mentioned in this thread, there is a tradeoff between having an "under review" moderation. It reduces spam but is a disincentive to posting since the new user doesn't get the instant gratification when joining. Also adds a lot more moderation effort.

Note there are some spam prevention tools built into Xenforo that prevents many of the spammers from getting as far as posting. But some do get through. Just looking at February, so far 8 got through, so an average 1 every 3 days. While not great, it isn't too bad. Spam users are easy to clean up, 1 click of the button they are deleted including all of their posts.

If spam increases, will consider more stringent prevention techniques.

Looking at the 8 spammers that got through in February they posted a link in their first post. Just added a rule to send to moderation anyone posting a link on their first post. Will see over the next month if this has any impact.

Thanks for the suggestions. The For Sale subforum is not busy so not sure it is worthwhile to enable additional rules on selling a dash cam.

As mentioned in this thread, there is a tradeoff between having an "under review" moderation. It reduces spam but is a disincentive to posting since the new user doesn't get the instant gratification when joining. Also adds a lot more moderation effort.

Note there are some spam prevention tools built into Xenforo that prevents many of the spammers from getting as far as posting. But some do get through. Just looking at February, so far 8 got through, so an average 1 every 3 days. While not great, it isn't too bad. Spam users are easy to clean up, 1 click of the button they are deleted including all of their posts.

If spam increases, will consider more stringent prevention techniques.

Another thought. What about an automated approach requiring new users to answer a capatcha before posts are approved for first 30 days? Prevents people from using spam bots to post links and/or spam forum.

Another thought. What about an automated approach requiring new users to answer a capatcha before posts are approved for first 30 days? Prevents people from using spam bots to post links and/or spam forum.
plenty of spam is the manual variety

Captcha exists for registration. If they get past that in the registration, will also bypass it for posting (bot or person).

Captcha exists for registration. If they get past that in the registration, will also bypass it for posting (bot or person).

True, but it does act as a deterrent by requiring people to answer one each time they post on a new account for say the first 30 days.

I'm an Admin on a car forum and we also had to tighten up in the for sale section.

We insisted on 3 months membership and a minimum of 20 posts before they could post a for sale. We also put instructions and warnings to buyers not to be persuaded by sellers to use PayPal friends and family or bank transfer as they have no protection.

What we couldn't control was a for sale transaction going underground to PM where these nefarious requests were made.

I'm an Admin on a car forum and we also had to tighten up in the for sale section.

We insisted on 3 months membership and a minimum of 20 posts before they could post a for sale. We also put instructions and warnings to buyers not to be persuaded by sellers to use PayPal friends and family or bank transfer as they have no protection.

What we couldn't control was a for sale transaction going underground to PM where these nefarious requests were made.
Car sales are a different animal.

True, but I thought this thread was for buyer protection and I have some experience, from 2007 so just trying to help.

It's an eternal problem. Anything you do to try to prevent bad things also makes it harder to do good things, so the best that can be achieved is a reasonable balance. Anything is possible from no restrictions ever all the way to filters set so tight that normal communications is impossible- and I've been on both these types of forum sites.

Again I don't see a problem here. Maybe in the future but not right now. We should promote the buying and selling of dashcams by all honest upstanding parties, and we should not make that hard to do. You can never 'fix' off-site or 'in-the-background' problems with sales; it is and will always be "let the buyer beware". Making a site and forums friendly and inviting to all users is what gets user-participation on the forums, not requiring that before sales are allowed.

Phil

Reactions: EGS
Long story short, suckers are born every minute. You can't nanny police everything. Some parts of life require common sense. All we can do here is deter and not make this place ripe for the picking. If people take sales and transactions to pm, and decide to use paypal friends, venmo, etc, not much can be done to stop them. You can't control every facet of life.

True, but I thought this thread was for buyer protection and I have some experience, from 2007 so just trying to help.

Well, the thread's purpose was not really about "buyer protection" at all. The original premise at least, was concern about "freeloaders" and adding some sort of requirement about making "useful contributions" before one could offer a used camera for sale.

I think it might be a good idea to have a "minimum posts" started requirement (say, 20 perhaps) before people joining the forum can sell their (used) gear - this to stop freeloaders joining and making no useful contribution to the forum.

Last edited:
You can't nanny police everything
Clearly you have not been to Denmark, i think we are the pinnacle of Nanny state,,,,,,,, which is kind of embarrassing for a person like me.
Still in the grand perspective compared to all other countries, things are not half bad here, but that still dont me want to join in the dance everyone else is dancing, so i find myself alone on the bench shaking my head and looking down into the floor between my razor sharp dancing shoes i will not get to use.

Clearly you have not been to Denmark, i think we are the pinnacle of Nanny state,,,,,,,, which is kind of embarrassing for a person like me.
Still in the grand perspective compared to all other countries, things are not half bad here, but that still dont me want to join in the dance everyone else is dancing, so i find myself alone on the bench shaking my head and looking down into the floor between my razor sharp dancing shoes i will not get to use.

I think you mean the UK which has cameras everywhere for everything. None the less, you can't protect people from themselves if they don't want to learn. Sellers prey off the gullible.

I think Denmark beat UK in CCTV cameras, but probably not in government CCTV cameras, but for shear numbers i think we have them beat ( probably in population / number of cameras as it is after all a much bigger country )
Hell we have even given the NSA a direct pipeline into the Danish internet backbone, and the first they did with it was spy on us.
And we Danes are supposed to be some of the US very very best friends,,,,,, so who need enemies then.

Back