Where is GPS and G-force data stored and how to extract?

Quick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 ACE
I would like to extract the GPS data and the g-force/motion sensor data to use with RaceRender.

1) where is the GPS and motion sensor data stored? It seems the only files recorded are the .avi files.
2) The "save driving information" option seems like it polls the GPS data and can be exported to a .csv file but the finest granularity on that is 1 minute. The google map location in the viewer updates more frequently and I would like to get access to that.
3) The "save driving information" does not contain the information from the motion sensors.

It can't hurt to send a second email. ;)

everglades said:
It can't hurt to send a second email. ;)

Did that too. 2 weeks ago and again 4 or 5 days ago.

I'm sure others want to do or have done the same. I want to get the information to feed to RaceRender -- another rendering software that will allow you to customize your gauges, associate them with data from one or more files and end up with a presentation. 1 or more video inputs, 1 or more data inputs, text, whatever and render a single, synchronized, multimedia output.

I don't know much about multimedia files. I'm fairly convinced that the data is embedded in the .avi files. If you copy the .avi files to a folder on your PC, then point the Lukas viewer at that folder it, still produces the GPS and g-force data/display. So it doesn't look like there are hidden files or the like written to the SD card and the data is embedded in the .avi files. If it's done in some conventional or standard way it should be possible to extract the date like the Lukas Viewer does. I'd like to end up with .csv files. Preferably with timestamps to simplify synchronization.

Do your files open in Registrator Viewer?

There's an extract function if yours is a supported model

jokiin said:

Thanks. I will give that viewer a try here in the next few days. Lukas is not listed as a supported DVR but I suppose there is a good chance they embed the data the same way as someone who is on the list.

Quick said:
jokiin said:

Thanks. I will give that viewer a try here in the next few days. Lukas is not listed as a supported DVR but I suppose there is a good chance they embed the data the same way as someone who is on the list.

if not send a sample file to the developer of the program, he has added a lot of the supported models once he's had a sample file to work with

Just got a reply from Lukas. Apparently they replied a few days ago and it bounced so they sent it again from a different email account and it got through.
Also seems that the user guide has been improved over the one that came with mine :)

Lukas said:
There are two ways of accessing GPS data. One is viewing it when recorded video is being played in Lukas viewer and other way is using Flash Command & Driving Information Data menu in Lukas viewer.
Please refer to the file attached here. http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/bo ... al&wr_id=6

I tried this before while experimenting. Pretty sure it works like this.
Settings->GPS -- you set the save driver information interval
Settings->Flash Command -- you select Import and save it. It saves a .bin to the SD card. I guess the camera picks that up and saves the information to be extracted later.
Back in the viewer with the .avi files loaded you go to Setting->Information and the data is there with a button to Export it to a .csv file.

This works for the GPS data but the motion/g-force data is not there.
Also it seems the fastest sample rate it will save is 1 minute (setting in the GPS tab). Although when using the viewer it seems to update about every second.

I'll see if Lukas will get more specific.
(and try Registrator as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
Quick said:
I would like to extract the GPS data and the g-force/motion sensor data to use with RaceRender.

how do you find this software?

RaceRender 2
http://racerender.com/RR2/Features.html

http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

I'm pretty impressed. Didn't take much time to customize my own layout and get everything working. ...except the gps for the track layout and the g-force for the g-force "pad".
I have a DashDAQ for data acquisition from the OBDII diag port and an analog input from my wideband AFR controller.
Video and audio from the Lukas 7900.
Just need to get the GPS and G-force data channels. I'll have to extract a frame to post up here.

Here we go. My car only has lateral G sensors so I need the X/Y sensor data from the camera. As soon as I get gps data the track map will go in the lower left and the lap counters/data up top will work.
I'm going to be racing at Laguna Seca in a couple of weeks and hope to have it all together for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the detailed reply, I'm always on the lookout for other ways our cameras can be used and anything that supports that

Contacted Registrator developer. Registrator does not support .avi files :(
Followup to see if it might work if I convert it to another type. I'm not optimistic the data would survive... but maybe :)
Followup with Lukas as well for getting finer granularity on the GPS samples. The driver route information only allows a minimum interval of 1 minute but the viewer appears to update about every 1 second. Also the driver route information does not include the g-sensor data.

I don't know much of anything about video files. I have gathered that AVI, MOV, WMV, etc. are "containers". So I'm guessing they are some standard for encapsulating various media streams like video, audio, etc. and I'm guessing provide a framework for identifying what's there to players and synchronization info, etc. Inside I'm guessing there are usually standards based encoded media data. Like H264? or audio codecs, etc. ... and surely some way to embed proprietary or non-standard format or encoded data. Hopefully the GPS and g-force data is in some standard data format internally in the avi file.

So... are there programs out there to analyze, decode, extract data from some of these standard media "containers"?
Hoping Lukas will come back with something like "gps and g-sensor data is encoded as standard yadayada streams in the avi file" or something like that :) and "there are plenty of programs out there you can find to extract it :D

you're pretty well on the money, the H.264 video files are H.264 video files, the container they are packaged up in is the difference, in a lot of cases there are programs that can repackage the files into a different format without re-encoding the files so no quality loss but perhaps more media friendly options, how that goes for your files with the extra data that's packaged with them though I'm not sure, we do ours with a separate file for the data so I'm not familiar with the method they use

sensor updates every 1 second is about normal

jokiin said:
thanks for the detailed reply, I'm always on the lookout for other ways our cameras can be used and anything that supports that

When you say "our cameras" which brand are you referring to? :?:

everglades said:
jokiin said:

When you say "our cameras" which brand are you referring to? :?:
Just meant my cameras with this software, I have customers that use them for track days, not related to Lukas, sorry if that wasn't clear

@Quick I am on the same mission. I'll share if I find any way to extract the GPS/G data. I've even split out the audio track to see if they maybe snuck it in there but no luck yet. They are hiding it in the .avi somehow though.....

panthar said:
@Quick I am on the same mission. I'll share if I find any way to extract the GPS/G data. I've even split out the audio track to see if they maybe snuck it in there but no luck yet. They are hiding it in the .avi somehow though.....

Sounds like you are far more capable of succeeding in finding it than myself. Looking forward to hearing what you dig up.

In the mean time, since I *really* wanted a complete solution for this weekend at Laguna Seca, I've purchased a Qstarz Q818XT 1-5,10hz external GPS to use with RaceChrono on my Android phone. I can export all the GPS data from that to a .csv file and include that in RaceRender.

1) where is the GPS and motion sensor data stored? It seems the only files recorded are the .avi files.

Check the other thread regarding AC27. It suggests that the GPS data is now stored in a separate directory.

Check the other thread regarding AC27. It suggests that the GPS data is now stored in a separate directory.
Yes, it is, but that's the driver info records and the minimum interval is 1 minute... I can be 2.8 miles away in that amount of time ;), or at Laguna Seca, 1/2 way around the track.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
randy LK-7900 1