Which Dashcam for recording journeys?

SWoMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(some of you may have seen my original question in the BlackVue area...)

I've had a two Ch system for some time (Winy from 2014) and would like to change to a more modern system. However, I want to be able to edit together some journey recordings to keep a video record (e.g. track laps). However I cant find a system that doesn't duplicate parts of recorded segments when an event occurs. This makes editing a pain (particularly when quite a lot of events are getting triggered!).

Is there a 2-ch, HD system out there that can be setup to do this? Or should I look for an alternative like a GoPro recorder?

Your suggestions please!

Garmin dash cams have "Travelapse" feature that may be of interest.

Thanks for the reply but I dont particularly want to keep a speeded-up recording. I've also now dismissed the GoPro as it has several limitations when used as a Dashcam.

Perhaps what I need is a dashcam that can have Event recording turned off, but full recording running... Ideas anyone?

I've also now dismissed the GoPro as it has several limitations when used as a Dashcam.
If you want GoPro quality from a dashcam, take a look at the Viofo A129 Pro:

Definitely produces seamless recordings (once you join the segments together), as do Viofo's lesser cameras if you don't need the 4K.

For sure you do not want G - sensor on while driving, that might / will just give you a lot of false events and scatter your recording session between the normal folder and a event folder.
You should get a sufficient big memory card instead, it also have the benefit of lasting longer than a smaller card that go thru its lifetime cycles faster, then if anything happen just use the event button to lock away those events.

Thanks for all those replies. I will do some more research (including on here!) and look at the suggested unit.

The few travel videos i have made ( a 9 part drive around the northern part of Jutland ) i recorded in 1080p / 60 FPS on a SJcam action camera, then in post i speed it yo so a 1 hour segment lasted 10 minutes, CUZ no one is going to sit and watch a "day long" drive around Jutland unless they have a fetish about my home country / region.

Driving even further in a larger country like the states you might want to speed up some parts even more.
The trick is to slow down in some really cool placess, and maybe spice things up with video / photos taken if you stop in those places.

The + using a action camera is that they record at higher bitrates and so retain more details, if i try this again some day i will also use my 4K camera so in post i can crop in a little so i dont have any dashboard or A pillars in the footage, and that camera have a 100 mbit bitrate, thats about 3 - 4 X more than a dashcamera, and it have a build in hyper lapse i could use so i dont have to speed up things in post production.

This 35 KM drive at 30 X hyperlapse is a bit hectic, if it have been motorway footage it might have been fine, i must use a lesser hyperlapse next time. ( recorded using my dji osmo action camera )

Back