Which lens?

Which lens do you use?

• Total voters
I prefer the A lens for the front of my Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck. It offers a good compromise between coverage and detail. In the rear, especially on a pick-up truck, I find a wide lens is best.

Same view on my Camry. Where is yours mounted? Mines behind the rear view, slightly below due to the USB plug
Here is a picture from today to show how my setup looks. There is a bit more dash board in the shot than I would like, however my car has a very big dash and a very shallowly raked windshield so its hard to angle up further without getting too much sun glare. I know the A lens would reduce this, however it would also reduce the side visibility which is what I also value.
View.jpg

Last edited:
The lens choice is a trade-off decision, but for me the extra angle view at the edges is something important to me. I like to capture what's happening at the outer edges. Personally, I think that I'm more likely to get something important at the edges than have to read a distant plate.

I think the survey results being 50 50 sum this up pretty well. Both are great and have their benefits, you just need to find what suits your individual application best.

I think the survey results being 50 50 sum this up pretty well. Both are great and have their benefits, you just need to find what suits your individual application best.
Yes a bit like which do you like Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream? Toppings come as firmware updates. What would be the cherry on top?

Yes a bit like which do you like Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream? Toppings come as firmware updates. What would be the cherry on top?

I'd consider the mounts and customization the toppings and the firmware upgrades the cherry on top. Its so rare to find a camera that has such frequent and meaningful updates.

Hard decision, I don't think the wide is on eBay as it isn't mass produced in the same way.

I asked the official seller and this is part of the reply " We have some wider angle lense module mobius camera on testing, USD69.99 per pieces, the camera with accessories, usb cable, velcro, mounting base and screwdriver."
Note the word testing. Guess that just means that there isn't thousands available to sell like the A lens and hence no eBay listing. Nb shouldn't out of eBay offers for business be 10% cheaper (no eBay fees).
Not sure what the screwdriver is for, presume the lens module is pre fitted.

Also wonder if I can power it from my Lukas camera's USB port? The Möbius manual asks for 1A but I guess that's for fast charging, I'd imagine it only draws a few hundred milliamps @ 5v for operation (can't find a proper tech spec to confirm, could always measure it myself before possibly destroying the Lukas by it trying to draw 1A).

Great comments in the thread :)

For dashcam use i'm leaning toward B lens, might be able to lossy dewarp on my PC if I needed to.

Hmmm.

Would be good to have two cameras with both lenses :)

Last edited:
Guess that just means that there isn't thousands available to sell like the A lens and hence no eBay listing.

Eletoponline365 haven't updated their website since before the Mobius B was launched, hence it's absence from the site. Also why the Capacitor isn't listed, though in stock & available for sale.

Not sure what the screwdriver is for, presume the lens module is pre fitted.

The tool is supplied in case you ever need to adjust the lens focus. Probably never, except for the RC Aircraft frequent crashers.

Also wonder if I can power it from my Lukas camera's USB port? The Möbius manual asks for 1A but I guess that's for fast charging, I'd imagine it only draws a few hundred milliamps @ 5v for operation (can't find a proper tech spec to confirm, could always measure it myself before possibly destroying the Lukas by it trying to draw 1A).

If you give it less than 1A, the LiPo will die prematurely ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25675982&postcount=1230

New at all this but wanted to see if anybody had a solution. Would like to see if anybody has seen a 90degree lens. So when installed on the mobius it could be clipped to a breast pocket or t-shirt. Anybody...anybody?

New at all this but wanted to see if anybody had a solution. Would like to see if anybody has seen a 90degree lens. So when installed on the mobius it could be clipped to a breast pocket or t-shirt. Anybody...anybody?
You could use the extension cables for the lens, yet attached inside a pocket would make heat a problem

I'm still waiting for my Mobius to be delivered but here's my take..
My understanding of a dashcam is that it's there to record potential incidents or capture moments before an incident as proof of who's innocent/guilty.
In saying that, I chose the B lens(wide angle) as its horizontal FOV is increased,therefore capturing more of the left and right areas of a car.
Any feature of said product that improves the FOV is a definite no brainer purchase for me.

A. Why? There was no C.

Only two choices had to pick one.

Could always buy a B lens addon if I dont like A.

Also I find B at its widest makes everything look much further away then they really are because of the fishyness of the B lens. As I am planning to use this as a dashcam (mostly) I want to get footage that looks as close to the real event* as possible.

*Hopefully no events will occur, real or imagined. If a deity is listening just bugger off.

Even with the "A" lens reviewed footage doesn't look anywhere near as "dramatic" (ie. as close a call) as real life.

Well, A, when set wide does have a slight fishy effect as well. Not nearly as fishy as B, but fishy enough.

I'm going to add a soundtrack to all my footage to add drama. Where's that Bullitt soundtrack go?

EDIT- Just bought a B for the front and will use the A in the back. The A was not wide enough in the only place it could be mounted on my SUV, but I think B in narrow mode will do nicely. Wheres the option for A lens and B lens?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought one with the A lens. I plan for this to be my rear camera so I wasn't too worried about FOV but did want to capture license plates well, in case of a rear-end runaway.

First post in the forums...
I went with the A lens and am waiting for the camera to arrive :)

Anyone undecided in choosing Mobius A or B should consider that by selecting 'Narrow' mode in the GUI, the HFOV of the B model can be reduced from 116deg to 102deg.

Anyone know the HFOV of the A lens?

Update: A reply in another thread said it is 85 at wide setting and 75 at narrow.

Last edited:
I spoke with the official eBay seller and they said that they are testing a new lens (for this purpose, "C") where it's an ultra wide angle more than Lens B. This might be perfect if they can somehow minimize the fish bowl look, but I think it'll be difficult. No ETA on it, so I'm just going to get Lens B and upgrade to C once the reviews come out.

Back