Why can't the MyNextbase Connect App just work?

Jay888

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I recently returned my first Nextbase cam as it kept freezing, but decided to give them another chance(which I am already regretting) so purchased another one which arrived on Friday.

Here are the troubles I am having with the App, firstly I need to unpair from the cam and re-pair for it to display and load any of my recordings every time I open the App. Surely this cannot be right? If you read the reviews for the App on Google play, you will see tons of people reporting the same!

Secondly, if it does not load or connect it displays the following error message "dash cam does not contain a sd card "(see image), which is just wrong, as the Nextbase SD is clearly inserted.

Thirdly, it does not display the recordings, as it "thinks" I'm adjusting the settings on the cam, but from the image you will see this is not the case at all!

Finally, this one maybe expected behavior, but when I do get the files to load by some miracle, and play one, it stops the dash cam from it's current recording and message pops up on the App telling me so, is this normal behavior??

Can anyone please advise here, I am really getting frustrated by this brand. You pay good money and want it to just work, but why is it so complicated!

Attachments

• IMG-20220626-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220626-WA0001.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220626-014653.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-014653.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello,

Thanks for your post.

If you go onto the camera itself and stop the recording, then press the playback icon in the top right of the screen, does it show the recordings and do these play successfully please?

Please ensure your MyNextbase Connect app is fully up to date.

On your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.
Then go to your MyNextbase Connect app and click on the menu in the top left of the app home screen. Select App Settings and turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’, ‘Allow analytics’ and ‘Enable Low Resolution Downloads'.
Please see the following link: https://nextbase.zendesk.com/hc/en-150/articles/360020632937-MyNextbase-Connect-permission-settings

Finally, the dashcam will stop recording when you load the images. This is to ensure the driver is not operating the vehicle when using their mobile phone.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

If you go onto the camera itself and stop the recording, then press the playback icon in the top right of the screen, does it show the recordings and do these play successfully please?

Please ensure your MyNextbase Connect app is fully up to date.

On your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.
Then go to your MyNextbase Connect app and click on the menu in the top left of the app home screen. Select App Settings and turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’, ‘Allow analytics’ and ‘Enable Low Resolution Downloads'.
Please see the following link: https://nextbase.zendesk.com/hc/en-150/articles/360020632937-MyNextbase-Connect-permission-settings

Finally, the dashcam will stop recording when you load the images. This is to ensure the driver is not operating the vehicle when using their mobile phone.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,

Thanks for your reply.

I can confirm, in the playback menu the recordings are there and I can play them successfully.

The App is up to date, as I have deleted it and reinstalled it several times in order for a potential fix. The version I am on is 2022.4.0 (549891842)

All notifications via the setting are set to "On".

In the App itself, I do not see the ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’ option, but all others are enabled(see image).

Also, please can you clarify, why access to "Telephone" is required for this app?

Finally, from the Playback menu, when I click on the padlock icon for a recording to protect it, it does not go into the protected playback menu folder, but rather remains in the standard playback folder(the file does turn the padlock icon red to show its protected). Is this working as expected?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-113936.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-113936.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220627-115947.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-115947.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220627-113924.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-113924.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220627-114206.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-114206.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hello,

The 'telephone' setting needs to be enabled for ESOS- the service will ring the emergency services in the event of an incident and requires the ability to use the calling function on your phone.

I'd recommend resetting the connection between the phone and camera to see if that resolves the issues you're having.

PLEASE NOTE:
Following these steps will
• DELETE all files from the “Library” section of the app (but should not affect files saved to your SD card).
• Your Dash Cam must be plugged into a mains power supply throughout this process.

Steps for Dash Cam:

1. Stop the Dash Cam from recording by tapping on the flashing recording icon at the bottom left of the screen.
2. Tap the settings (cogwheel) icon that appears in the top left of the screen
3. Select "Setup" to enter the setup menu.
4. Swipe across and tap on "Keep User Settings" tap "OFF" and tap “OK”.
5. Locate, then tap on "Default Settings", tap "Yes" and tap “OK” (Your Dash Cam will restart).

Steps for Phone:

1. Open the “Settings” app on your phone then select “Connections” then “Bluetooth” (some Android phones you can just select “Bluetooth”.
2. Locate your Nextbase Dash Cam in the “paired devices” list.
3. Press and hold on the Dash Cam and select “unpair device”.
4. Uninstall the “MyNextbase Connect” App.
5. Restart your phone.
6. Reinstall “MyNextbase Connect” from Play Store.

Now that the Dash Cam and MyNextbase have been reset to defaults, simply follow the first time setup process to get connected.

You must ensure the settings on your phone and dashcam are setup correctly.
Then on your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.
Then go to your MyNextbase Connect app and click on the menu in the top left of the app home screen. Select App Settings and turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’, ‘Allow analytics’ and ‘Enable Low Resolution Downloads'. Please note 'Enable Low Resolution Downloads' may not show on some types of phone.

Please visit our help centre article "Can't connect to MyNextbase my smartphone" if you would like a more detailed version of the above reset.

Once reset, connect like this:

Please let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hello,

The 'telephone' setting needs to be enabled for ESOS- the service will ring the emergency services in the event of an incident and requires the ability to use the calling function on your phone.

I'd recommend resetting the connection between the phone and camera to see if that resolves the issues you're having.

PLEASE NOTE:
Following these steps will
• DELETE all files from the “Library” section of the app (but should not affect files saved to your SD card).
• Your Dash Cam must be plugged into a mains power supply throughout this process.

Steps for Dash Cam:

1. Stop the Dash Cam from recording by tapping on the flashing recording icon at the bottom left of the screen.
2. Tap the settings (cogwheel) icon that appears in the top left of the screen
3. Select "Setup" to enter the setup menu.
4. Swipe across and tap on "Keep User Settings" tap "OFF" and tap “OK”.
5. Locate, then tap on "Default Settings", tap "Yes" and tap “OK” (Your Dash Cam will restart).

Steps for Phone:

1. Open the “Settings” app on your phone then select “Connections” then “Bluetooth” (some Android phones you can just select “Bluetooth”.
2. Locate your Nextbase Dash Cam in the “paired devices” list.
3. Press and hold on the Dash Cam and select “unpair device”.
4. Uninstall the “MyNextbase Connect” App.
5. Restart your phone.
6. Reinstall “MyNextbase Connect” from Play Store.

Now that the Dash Cam and MyNextbase have been reset to defaults, simply follow the first time setup process to get connected.

You must ensure the settings on your phone and dashcam are setup correctly.
Then on your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.
Then go to your MyNextbase Connect app and click on the menu in the top left of the app home screen. Select App Settings and turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’, ‘Allow analytics’ and ‘Enable Low Resolution Downloads'. Please note 'Enable Low Resolution Downloads' may not show on some types of phone.

Please visit our help centre article "Can't connect to MyNextbase my smartphone" if you would like a more detailed version of the above reset.

Once reset, connect like this:

Please let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,

I've followed your steps, however as as I reported yesterday, I still do not see turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’ as an option in the App menu after reinstalling the app.

The app connects and loads the recordings, intermittently, but I did get the error message "dash cam does not contain a sd card" when selecting the Dash cam icon so it was unable to load the recordings.

I'll continue to monitor this and report back if the issues keep persisting.

With that being said, can you advise on this : "On the Playback menu on the cam itself, when I click on the padlock icon for a recording to protect it, it does not go into the protected playback menu folder, but rather remains in the standard playback folder(the file does turn the padlock icon red to show its protected). Is this working as expected?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-124827.jpg
    Screenshot_20220628-124827.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

This is not working as expected, any protected file should be saved within the protected file folder on the SD card.
Please can you give us a call on 02920866429 and we'll go through the troubleshooting with you directly.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi,

This is not working as expected, any protected file should be saved within the protected file folder on the SD card.
Please can you give us a call on 02920866429 and we'll go through the troubleshooting with you directly.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,

I shall give them a call and discuss this.

Kind regards,
Umar

Back