Why did you buy your first dash cam?

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm curious as to the reason you decided to go out and purchase a dash cam? Was it an incident that happened to you, a video that you seen, the Russian Chelyabinsk meteor, a friend's recommendation or another reason all together?

For me it was this dash cam video that went viral in Canada in the spring of 2012 (site was www.redflagdeals.com).

The guy was charged but no word on what has happened since (probably just a slap on the wrist at most).

That was THE moment that got me interested as well :) Saw it on RFD too.
Started with an 808#16 more as a novelty purchase since it was better than what the above was shot with anyway.
Edit: A week or two prior to that news story with Chan and Ragu (lol) a Honda CR-V made a similar move on my car, nothing came of it though as it was very minor but the co-incidence was startling to me at the time.

Last edited:
In 2009 I used my Kodak Zi8 on a small tripod stuffed behind the rear seat, facing forward to record some driving footage. I didn't know dash cams even existed until I came across the mini 0801 review from Techmoan a few months ago. I had a hit a run a year ago and didn't manage to get the plate. After seeing that review, I thought what a great idea and my inner geek had to have one.

I had actually used a GoPro back in 2011 mounted outside of my car, but just to record me driving around - I didn't know dash cams existed. Then in 2012 I saw some bad driver videos (particularly around here in Southern California) as well as the Russian ones, and decided to get one in early 2013. I first used a Flip camcorder w/suction cup, then a K2000, and now my Mini 0801 (JADO).

My father and I used to take tons of pictures and tape a few car shows. We used those little handy cams that took mini dv tapes so we always had video and pictures. I wish i remembered where some of them were, but from the huge regular VHS cameras to the Mini DV to the digital stuff we always had equipment lying around.

One day i was involved in an accident. Lucky for me there were witnesses and video from the building that i was not at fault, but the next day I thought what if there were not witness, what if they leave, or what if I am a victim of a set up.

I had a compact point and shoot camera for shows so the very next time i got in the car i literately duct taped it to my dash and ordered a dash mounted tripod. I then used it for a few weeks, but it was a huge hassle so i was in a bit of a rush to replace it with something a little more convent and ended up with a DVR-027 knock off that was horrible. No sound horrible day and night time picture.

I was trying to find information on what i should replace it with when i found this site, and the rest is history.

After all the headache and hassle I had dealt with between the accident and the knock off camera it is one of the reasons I am a huge supporter of this place and am doing things like making the camera noticeable at car shows, getting cards printed up, trying to get word out there.

People need to protect them selves when they drive every day and share the roads with people like the ones you see in various YouTube videos and on the news, and then there are the guys who buy 50-60 thousand dollar Corvettes and put another 20 grand in them to make them go faster. If someone sees you rolling around in mobile 80 thousand dollars some people see the dollar signs.

I've seen the kind of money people put into cars and i have done it myself, and to have that all taken away because someone else is careless is horrible and a nightmare.
Ask the guy who just had his ZL1 totaled by a dealer.

I'd often thought about having one, but couldn't really justify the expense. Then my work supplied me with an iPhone 4S, so I put Witness Driving on it — I could stretch to 69p. That showed me the benefit of these things, and now prices are low and quality is high, I splashed out on a Mini 0801 and am very pleased with it.

For me RTA that put my wife and I in hospital we did manage to get a witness for this but when I was able to drive I started with a naff DVR-027 probably a fake video in good daylight passable night time what video just black apart from headlights and street lights. Now have DOD LS340W with both night and day quality video.

dpick1947

Because I saw a lot of reckless drivers on the road these days, in addition to Ragu scam video from Toronto..

A Dash Can has always been a dream of mine for years and years. Partly because I wanted to document stupid drivers and partly because I knew there there was always a possibility of needing a video to prove that I was NOT at fault.

I got mine cuz my car got vandalized 1 year ago, and allso becuz Danish police is on par with simmilar forces in 2-3 World countries.
Dashcam footage is not useable in a court of law here, but i assume a Insurance Company will be intrested in case of a dispute.

As a former snotfaced criminal myself i am aware there is a Price to be payed if you get busted, and if the law dont want to collect on that debt i will do so myself.

I drive a truck, I thought it will come in handy one day, also a work college was talking about getting one so that got the idea in my head.

i visit korea once in a while for business and noticed that everyone had dashcams (blackbox). really didn't think much of it until i got into an accident about a year ago and thought i could benefit from having one.

Back