Why use a mobius charging cable instead of a standard usb cable?

country_hick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any reason to use the mobius charging cable instead of a standard usb cable with the correct end in your car?

What do you mean by "mobius charging cable"? The cables that comes with the camera are standard USB cables with standard-A and mini-B plugs.

Is there any reason to use the mobius charging cable instead of a standard usb cable with the correct end in your car?
Pins. A standard 5 pin data cable will put the Mobius into standby, while a charging cable with the data pins shorted will allow for power on record.

Last edited:
I was afraid that cable was wired wrong making it a custom cable. Thank you for the reply.

How long is the included cable that comes with a new mobius? Is it a charging cable or a standard usb cable?

The included cable is a short data cable. To connect it to your car, you would need to buy the 3M charging cable and USB adapter. (Both $8) or buy a combo when you buy your Mobius.

What do you mean by "mobius charging cable"? The cables that comes with the camera are standard USB cables with standard-A and mini-B plugs.

As i understand it...

Those who use the mobius with the super capacitor do not have a battery for power. As a result power has to come from the car. That requires a 12 volt to usb adapter. Then a cable is needed to go from there to the dash cam. If you do not want to rely exclusively on the battery if you do not get a super capacitor you also want the car to provide power to your mobius.

Below are the parts I am talking about. Keep in mind there are several authorized sellers for these accessories and the mobius.
You can find them on page 1 here. --> https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...help-requests-here-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with battery, I'm still using a 12 volt to usb adapter and a cable. A cable which has nothing special, it's the one that came with the camera.

Maybe they call it "charging cable" because it has only the power wires which means you can use it only for providing power to a USB device, not to connect it to a computer as a removable drive. I didn't use a capacitor yet, so maybe the explanation is in @GJHS post...

Back