Wifi wort the extra cash?

That's a very valid point in terms of how much current it will draw - I just did some reading and the first few things I've seen have said it could be up to 100ma difference - and like you say with the wifi it would be even more potentially if it was transferring,

I've got to admit I did run the X2 for a week or so with the adaptor and a full size 128GB card and it was fine but I guess it helps that has higher quality components - I'm not sure if anyone has tried these in a G1W as that may cause issues on the power adaptors if they've used cheaper ones?

The X2 does sip power more due to the Coach CPU but in theory parking mode would be 10% down due to the extra power usage.

I'm going to have to do some digging now to see if I can see power usage of various microSD cards as I've got a feeling the faster ones which seem to generate more heat are also using more power!

I did read ages ago that you could interface with an SD card using something like this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9419

It is generally considered ill advised to use a microSD card full time in one of those SD card adapters plugged into a device like a camera due to voltage issues and overheating. There have been a number of posts here on DCT cautioning that it is not a good idea and why it should be avoided. Those SD adapters for microSD cards are really intended for short term occasional use (transferring files) rather than in lieu of a regular SD card permanently installed in a device..

So, with this logic in mind, I wonder if using an Eye-Fi card in one of these cable type adapters might ultimately cause similar problems with overheating and other issues with the microSD end of the adapter and eventually cause damage to a camera in long term use? Might it even damage the Eye-Fi card itself? My understanding is that there can also be an issue with signal integrity and speed with adapters as the signals come off the SoC, down the PCB traces and into the USB socket. In this case, this situation might also be exaggerated by a run through a cable before getting to the microSD port.

An Eye-Fi card is in fact a radio and is very likely to draw even higher current and cause much more stress on a device than a standard memory card. Just sayin'.

Any one else have some thoughts on this?
Agree with you!
It will be a speed problem by card adapters when playback!

Back