Wiper blades

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
I have some reasonable new (less that 6 months) Bosch wiper blades on the windscreen - but they leave a line of bobbled water on the drivers side about an inch or so from the left end - which of course is right in the view of the cam.

It's annoying - but it must be either the glass, or the wiper.

You can see in the video where these water droplets get left in an arc from left centre going up to the right.

Question - do you techy people think the glass is to blame (unlikely I think (on my Ford Focus)) or should I try an alternative type of wiper blade?

Currently using an ordinary Bosch:

Wiper.jpg

Paul.

Someone suggested oil residue on the glass, so to use talc to absorb it...

Perhaps cleaning and polishing the glass using something that would dissolve and remove the oil residue would be a good idea?

Talc, apparently, does it. I will try that tomorrow.

I'm hoping to cure it without changing wiper blades though flat ones would be better I'm told.

...though flat ones would be better I'm told.
If by flat you're referring to 'beam' type blades I can assure you, from my experience, they're much better - except for cost.

Last edited:
My also bosh blades some times streak, but it is always something that gotten in under the blade.
I do need new ones, and i do think i will try another brand.

+1 on the frameless blades, they streak a lot less.

If by flat you're referring to 'beam' type blades I can assure you, from my experience, they're much better - except for cost.

"Beam" seems an odd name for them, since they are actually flat springs, the conventional ones are more like beam structures!

they leave a line of bobbled water on the drivers side
The water shouldn't bead up like that, if it does then it is caused by something on the surface of the glass. Unless you have applied something designed to make it do that, such as Rain-X.

There once was a time like this!!!

And water always seemed to "bobble" there.

Untitled.png

I have applied a very light amount of rain repellent otherwise it would likely look that photo!

And water always seemed to "bobble" there.
The right window wiper blade is not long enough. Are they the correct size, and not swapped over? (Swapping them over is quite a common mistake!)

Normally you can fit longer blades, an extra inch or two might sort that problem. If you decide to go for longer blades then I suggest using the flat ones, since longer standard ones can result in not enough pressure, while the flat ones are much better at spreading the pressure out, and can even be adjusted to increase the pressure in places it is needed most.

Actually, looking again, maybe it is just that the right one doesn't have enough pressure on the end, so is not wiping the water there? In which case, maybe try the flat ones since they give better pressure and you can add extra pressure at the ends if needed, by bending the spring in a little extra.

Will see what I can get m8.

Hi,
Looking at the image of the BOSCH blades...I'd suggest changing them, as already suggested, to the "normal"
flat type.
Way too much outward curve in them & they will not apply enough pressure at the ends.

A FWIW...
If you ever need to clean the windscreen or any glass surface, including your "reading glasses", grab some "CERIUM OXIDE."

Can be purchased off eBay & is used by the my "local" (Australian) windscreen replacement Co.
It's what they use to remove any "small" scratches you get in the windscreen.

(1st off....To make sure that you can see the scratches from the outside....use a black white board marker pen & mark the
scratch from the inside of the vehicle.
They might/will be darned hard to see from the outside in the sun light.
White board marker is easily removed when done.

To clean the inside of the windscreen, use Isopropyl Alcohol & a clean micro fibre cloth.)

To use...Use a smallish, screw top, clean container & add a little (dessert spoon or 2?) of Cerium oxide to it.
(It's much finer than "rouge.")
Carefully add tap water to it to get the consistency of BRASSO/SILVO/Tomato Sauce.
To use on your scratch/es, use a small clean soft micro fibre/flannel shirt cloth & only apply/rub in sections along the scratch.
Never across it.
When it dries, just dip the cloth into the container.
It will also clean any glass perfectly.
Wash the residue away with tap water & dry off.
Takes a while but will eventually remove the scratch. The remainder in the container can be left...as-is.
It does not go off, it just dries out & can be used again. Just add a little water.

(Perseverance is the name-of-the-game.) :)

Cheap as. Grab a packet of ~250 or 500 gm.

Good luck.

ps. Don't buy those darn silicon blades.

Last edited:
Got some flat wiper blades on now in place of the standard ones - but of course we are experiencing drought conditions, so for now, all you get is a squirt from the wiper jets!!! :LOL:

Paul.

Last edited:
Nice image quality, but the right wiper still looks a little short, doesn't appear to reach the dashcam area?

If the problem isn't solved, then get a longer set and use one for the right wiper, and keep the spares for when the first pair need replacing. They are normally measured in inches, remember that if you are adding an inch to the top end then you need one 2 inches longer. Don't add more than needed, or the amount of PSI (pressure per inch) will drop and it will start to not wipe properly, but the flat ones are much better than the normal ones for that and can also be adjusted to match the curve of the glass by bending the spring a little.

It's 22 on my side but won't take a 24, we tried at the shop.

The cams are all inside the sweep so should be ok hopefully.

Back