Wiring PMP in Audi A5 Convertible

CerberusRogue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a BlackVue 600 and PMP for wiring into my Audi A5. The running of the cable into the fusebox was easy but wiring the PMP has proved a horrible experience, so I'm hoping someone can help!

This is what I've done:
  1. I've finally located a switched and an unswitched fuse (Thanks to Audi NOT for labelling all the fuses up as wrong). The unswitched circuit is the CD drive. The switched circuit is labelled as "gateway"
  2. Connected the yellow wire from the PMP to the left blade of the unswitched fuse. I did this by pushing the wire into the fuse socket, then pushing the fuse in on top. I then used a multimeter to prove I was getting 12 volts on this cable through to the white connector block for the PMP
  3. Connected the yellow cable to the left blade of the switched fuse. The multimeter registered around 8.5 volts for this connection (when the ignition was on) so I assume that some of the power here is being used by the "gateway" circuit
  4. Set the switches on the PMP to 12v and 12 hours
  5. Connect the PMP and the Camera together, then plug the white connector block into the PMP

And... nothing. The LED doesn't light up on the PMP, regardless of the ON/OFF position of the switch, and the camera doesn't turn on. If I plug the camera into the cigarette lighter socket directly it works fine.

Two things that bother me as well:
  1. Does it matter which side of the fuse I connect the camera to> I used the left side for both cables
  2. Should I register a voltage on both cables? The yellow cable was 12v and the red was 8v.

Please help! It has driven me crazy this weekend :-(

Not going to work with an 8v feed

Not familiar with the model, is an A5 convertible decent car?

Not going to work with an 8v feed

Not familiar with the model, is an A5 convertible decent car?

Thanks for the quick reply! The car is fine, or at least should be!

So should both the red and yellow wires register 12v then? Could it be as simple as this?

Won't work with 8v, if it's a decent car you're better off getting it done professionally, poking wires under fuses is not the way to do it

Won't work with 8v, if it's a decent car you're better off getting it done professionally, poking wires under fuses is not the way to do it

yeah, I know this. It's a temporary measure to prove it all works OK. I've ordered some fuse jumpers as well which will allow me to wire it all properly.

Can you confirm though that it is correct that my meter should read 12v then on both cables?

Won't work without 12v or greater, it will power off below 12v, that's the expected behaviour

Won't work without 12v or greater, it will power off below 12v, that's the expected behaviour

So would the LED on it also power off if the voltage was low enough? I was expecting the LED to stay on regardless.

Wont work if the earth wire isnt connected either.

You havent mentioned what you did with that. If anything. Led goes out when power goes off as it is supposed to.

Poking wires down the side of fuses is a good way to start a bonfire.

If you dont know what you are doing, get some help with it. If you know how to use a multimeter its easy to find which side of a fuse is the "out" one

Also when fitting an 'Addafuse" they should be fitted with the wire on the out end of the fuse

Last edited:
Newer Audi/BMW's are also very sensitive to voltage/current load changes if any foreign power draw is detected it will cause a system fault.

Wont work if the earth wire isnt connected either.

You havent mentioned what you di with that. If anything. Led goes out when power goes off as it is supposed to.

Poking wires down the side of fuses is a good way to start a bonfire.

If you dont know what you are doing, get some help with it. If you know how to use a multimeter its easy to find which side of a fuse is the "out" one

Also when fitting an 'Addafuse" they should be fitted with the wire on the out end of the fuse

Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure I never connected the ground at the time, so maybe this is it. I have proper piggyback fuses (i think these are the Addafuse you mention) to wire this in properly, I didn't do it at the start as I didn't want to crimp the connectors and then find out something was wrong.

Since posting this I've now found out which is the out side of the fuse, so will try again along with connecting the ground.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Also when fitting an 'Addafuse" they should be fitted with the wire on the out end of the fuse"?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure I never connected the ground at the time, so maybe this is it. I have proper piggyback fuses (i think these are the Addafuse you mention) to wire this in properly, I didn't do it at the start as I didn't want to crimp the connectors and then find out something was wrong.

Since posting this I've now found out which is the out side of the fuse, so will try again along with connecting the ground.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Also when fitting an 'Addafuse" they should be fitted with the wire on the out end of the fuse"?

An addafuse has two feeds If you connect it the correct way the power goes in to the pair of fuses and out the other side and if anything happens the fuse will blow.

If you reverse it the power to the wire will be direct from the "IN" side fuse blade to the wire and not through the fuse so if something goes wrong you could have serious probs.

Also as said Audi and VW are sensitive to load on circuits.

In my Passat I found two spare fuse sockets that werent being used and put a slightly different type of addafuse in.

Didnt interfere with anything else and has been working Ok for two years Also did the same in wifes Polo.

Back