Wolfbox G900 mod to get around the ACC obstruction (2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X Unlimited 4xe)

eviljordan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Wolfbox G900
Link to video driving without obstruction (and same description) here:

This absolutely voids the warranty, but Wolfbox should be ashamed of themselves for not providing a solution on their own. I have a lot more gripes about their (and others) rear-view mirror (RVM) products in general, but I'll spare you.

The Wrangler's ACC box in the top-center of the windshield obstructs a solid 30% of the view when using a RVM mounted forward-facing dashcam, like the Wolfbox G900. In order to get around this, I:
  1. Purchased a $7 26-pin FFC male-to-male connector from Amazon (Amazon.com)
  2. Purchased a bag of 6" 26-pin Type A connectors from Amazon (Amazon.com)
  3. Used a pry tool to open the RVM unit
  4. Disconnected the 26-pin Type A FFC cable connecting to the lens
  5. Unscrewed the lens mount from the assembly
  6. Pushed the cable through the lens mount hole
  7. Reassembled the unit - wired up the connector to the old dangly cable and my new cable, covering the giant lensmount hole with some electrical tape and securing the cable to the unit a bit
  8. Jerry-rigged a hinge with electrical tape to hold the now-extended lens housing and keep it adjustable
  9. Used a command strip to hold the hinge in place mounted directly to the bottom of the ACC
  10. Got super-annoyed when Wolfbox immediately announced the new G900Pro so I'll have to do it all again (and see if the cables are the same)

All four windows and the Sky OneTouch are open. Other than concatenating the files in ffmpeg (and reducing the sound to only come from the front-facing video), combining the footage vertically, and trimming 15 seconds off the end of the last video where I was just sitting there idle, the videos are unaltered (meaning no stabilization or color correction or anything else used).

IMG_5363 Large.jpgIMG_5361 Large.jpgIMG_5360 Large.jpg

Back