WonVon W4K

I think this is probably because the video is encoded in an H265 4K file, and some older computers+players will struggle to decode it smoothly. (Being able to play 4K H264 smoothly does not mean that a computer has the hardware for H265.)
:banghead: Hadn't thought of that. Will have to play some more - including using the player @estore009 just posted.

Or maybe re-encode it if your player can't manage.

Either it is a player problem, a cam problem, or both. I have the new player downloaded and will give it a try later today. I need to get more coffee in me before trying to do anything serious :ROFLMAO:

All I know for sure is that when I viewed the raw files directly from files copied from the card here at home, the vid quality was sharp and quite good other than the 'stuttering', and the GPS was working and displaying properly. Being that my computer is a bit old and topping out at 1080P with H264, I had been relying on input from others regards video quality and playback.

I feel like I owe everyone here an apology for making statements regards this cam which have proven to be in error
, so for the time being I am going to remove my review until I hear from all of you that there is no problem. I will post more files and vids and links today for you to check out. Once I see my way forward here I will put my review back, and it will reflect what gets found here.

Phil

Or maybe re-encode it if your player can't manage.
OK, the worst of the playback issues were related to the files being H265 4K. I re-encoded the first one and playback is MUCH smoother but there is still a random stuttering (possibly/likely duplicate frames, but I haven't done a frame-by-frame check to see).

Still need to play a bit with different viewers.

Edit: Installed the GPS Player 2.0 linked above and playback issues are non-existent with the original files - EXCEPT the random stuttering is still there.

Last edited:
I have tried this player and it is no better than any other, the video still 'stutters' so I suspect it's still dropping/ duplicating frames.
do you have the option to reduce the resolution on the front camera in the settings menu?

it's interpolated at the resolution of the sample files which is extra processing that is only going to make things worse, try 1440p on the front camera if it has that option

I'll give that a try (y) I always test at maximum performance since that's what the average cam buyer will do. If a cam does well at full throttle it should do fine cruising :cool:

Phil

do you have the option to reduce the resolution on the front camera in the settings menu?

it's interpolated at the resolution of the sample files which is extra processing that is only going to make things worse, try 1440p on the front camera if it has that option
There is a 1440 option, but unfortunately it is still H265 so will not help in most cases, and it also uses a significantly lower bitrate so you loose quite a lot of image quality. Not recommended.

If you have a display device capable of H265 then there is no issue, quite a few people still don't.

There is a 1440 option, but unfortunately it is still H265 so will not help in most cases, and it also uses a significantly lower bitrate so you loose quite a lot of image quality. Not recommended.

If you have a display device capable of H265 then there is no issue, quite a few people still don't.
the video quality looks like more of an interpolation issue than a H.265 issue, I can play H.265 files on my 4K monitor at far higher bitrates than these files and they play smooth, these don't

the video quality looks like more of an interpolation issue than a H.265 issue, I can play H.265 files on my 4K monitor at far higher bitrates than these files and they play smooth, these don't
Even if the 1440 option did play perfectly smoothly, I wouldn't recommend using it with it's current bitrate unless you need to extend the amount of recording you can fit on the memory card. The default 4K image quality is significantly better.

I know from previous conversations that Jokiin has a very good computer and monitors capable of 4k :) Add his experience to that and it seems clear that this is more than just a user-level issue. I think the front cam needs to be using h264 and I'd almost bet that would eliminate most if not all of the problem ;)

Phil

I know from previous conversations that Jokiin has a very good computer and monitors capable of 4k :) Add his experience to that and it seems clear that this is more than just a user-level issue. I think the front cam needs to be using h264 and I'd almost bet that would eliminate most if not all of the problem ;)

Phil
if the problem was end user hardware the skipping would be random rather than in the exact same point each time, also the same skipping wouldn't be in the YouTube version, it's in the source files

I suspect it's still dropping/ duplicating frames.
There is a KM Player. You can press "F" key to check the footage frame by frame also!

Edit: Installed the GPS Player 2.0 linked above and playback issues are non-existent with the original files - EXCEPT the random stuttering is still there.
Did your other players improve also? I noticed the install of GPS Player updated the codecs, it is possible that an H265 hardware codec was installed on your computer when you didn't have one before, and your computer is perfectly capable of H265...

The random stutter will be the camera, not the player, doesn't seem to be losing anything, just a frame timing issue, no point trying to fix your computer for that.

Did your other players improve also? I noticed the install of GPS Player updated the codecs,...
I noticed the new codecs being installed as well. My gut feeling is it may have made a difference with some players but WMP is not one of them - it still 'stalls' on playback (versus the single frame 'stutter') as compared to the re-encoded version. PotPlayer and VLC play the original and re-encoded versions the same. I did not try playing the original file with VLC before the new codecs were installed.

All my player codecs are up-to-date, so not a player problem. Will upload some "break-of-dawn" vids shortly taken at max resolution, and later today I'll try recording at a lower res setting.

I'm still thinking it would be wise for them to try h264 at the processor for the front cam. If it is an encoding problem that would probably fix it and then it would also play more smoothly on all the player platforms.

Phil

I'm still thinking it would be wise for them to try h264 at the processor for the front cam. If it is an encoding problem that would probably fix it and then it would also play more smoothly on all the player platforms.
Apple products prefer H265, it would have to be an option.

The rear cam is H264, so Apple would still have to accomodate it, and if it does that then why not the front cam as well? ;)

Phil

I will back any company / person that whip on the fruit company. following the you reap what you sow philosophy.

Back