WonVon W4K

I'm not anti-Apple even if I don't like some of their philosophy. And somebody always has to be first with anything new like H265. But with so much H264 still in use, you'd better still have it working well because people are going to be using it for some time to come ;)

H265 shot itself in the foot with licensing fees, and my guess is that something newer and better will emerge and take the market H265 would have had. You can make a profit in selling a few items with a huge mark-up or by selling lots of items with a small mark-up; both ways work. But only the last one causes market growth which keeps you selling the item longer. The H265 developers made a bad marketing decision :( It's not so much better than H264 that people will pay their price to have it.

Time to chase down some supper and try the W4K at lower resolution settings. Still cloudy here so I think I'll bump up the exposure a notch too :)

Phil

Apple devices running iOS 11 or later and all Macs running High Sierra or later support HEVC playback as well as H.264. Detection is automatic. In addition, on Apple computers you can open an H.264 file and then export it as HEVC if so desired.

Just took a lock at last night's vids. Raising the exposure was not a good idea and the images flared and washed out fairly badly :( But the lowered resolution did help with the 'stuttering' issue when viewed on PotPlayer with my old laptop :) So rather than post poor vids right now I'll do that when I get home tonight with the exposure set back to default- sorry for the delay!

Phil

I'm not anti-Apple even if I don't like some of their philosophy. And somebody always has to be first with anything new like H265. But with so much H264 still in use, you'd better still have it working well because people are going to be using it for some time to come ;)

H265 shot itself in the foot with licensing fees, and my guess is that something newer and better will emerge and take the market H265 would have had. You can make a profit in selling a few items with a huge mark-up or by selling lots of items with a small mark-up; both ways work. But only the last one causes market growth which keeps you selling the item longer. The H265 developers made a bad marketing decision :( It's not so much better than H264 that people will pay their price to have it.

Time to chase down some supper and try the W4K at lower resolution settings. Still cloudy here so I think I'll bump up the exposure a notch too :)

Phil
For the hardware solution, only can support 4K mode in H.265, 4K not supported in H.264.

Just uploaded another F/R clip in the 3rd post of this thread HERE but at 1920*1280p and they are playing much more smoothly. The bright sunlight did cause some reflections on the glass. No other issues with the cam except user-error as I forgot to turn my cam's off last night and woke to a very dead battery :eek:

Phil

Finally got some night-time video HERE
The rear window was a mess as this was not a planned drive and there was no time to clean it.

Phil

A firmware update has just been sent to me for testing and I'll have news on it within a couple days. Please see my updated first post in this thread.

Phil

What kind of plug/socket does the rear view camera use?
Just wondering if a better camera option could be used to improve rear quality?

Not likely to do any better as it's analog :(
For whoever may be interested, I ran the W4K w/rear cam as my driver's side cam until very recently. Mostly reliable, got "format card" messages on start-up every few weeks,. Still see reports of dropped frames and jerky playback so I still won't recommend it.

I put a B4K in it's place so I could stop worrying about it- a cam I do recommend ;)

Phil

Reactions: EGS
If I purchased one of these to swap between 2 cars how hard do you think it would be to match another camera? I can purchase a second base on eBay for $20 and the magnetic mount should make switching easy.

If I purchased one of these to swap between 2 cars how hard do you think it would be to match another camera? I can purchase a second base on eBay for $20 and the magnetic mount should make switching easy.
Need to buy an extra GPS mount!
Does Super Mini = USB B Mini 4 pin?
Yes.

So I have bought the main camera kit and an extra gps mount. Now I need to organise another rear camera. Whilst the quality of the rear camera is considered as only average is it actually waterproof and suitable for external applications?

It is advertised as being waterproof and I've seen identical cam housings used for reversing cams which must of course be waterproof. I never tested that though.

Phil

CIL or polarising filter options available?
Would the Azdome version of this camera be also considered as BlueSkySea or would there be other hardware/software points of distinction?
I also see on eBay another unbranded version that indicates it has a Lipo battery.

eBay wonvon

I checked with seller who confirmed battery. Unless of course they do not know their own product, which wouldn't be a first.

It is a capacitor-based dash cam from your eBay link!

Back