Would installing infrared lights in place of your fog lights be a work around for "night vision?"

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
a lot of cheap cameras have infrared lights even tho it just reflects in the window as far as I have heard (have not tried one myself).

Would having actual IR lights outside, for example in place of your fog lights (since a lot of people dont have or use their fog lights anyways, but could be turned on as needed), and then having a dash camera record in night vision mode?

well you could point them higher up, use whatever strength bulb, I just thought of the fog lights since most cars already have a switch to use them and turn them on and off in your car.

I remember this being discussed last year in an old thread but don't remember the replies.

If it's not a specific frequency range, some IR bulbs are not 100% invisible. Some people see a glowing red light, so might look like brake lights.

I remember this being discussed last year in an old thread but don't remember the replies.

If it's not a specific frequency range, some IR bulbs are not 100% invisible. Some people see a glowing red light, so might look like brake lights.
ah that would definitely ruin it then.

The most commonly used IR emitters are 850nm and those will glow a visible red color. The less common IR emitters are 940nm and you have to use special IR cameras with the 940nm emitters because most IR capable cameras are calibrated for the 840nm emitters.

It would probably be illegal to use the 840nm emitters on the front of your car simply because they emit a red light, albeit a narrow beam of red light that is very dim. It is still a red light emitted out the front of your car and every US state I know of would forbid that.

That aside, the effective range of IR emitters is about 50% of the advertised "claimed" range of the emitters, from my experience. I have some IR flood lamps on my property, some have claimed ranges of 450 feet, however the emitter array is about 4" by 8" and that is considerably larger than a typical set of fog lamps ... further they have an actual useful range of about 200 to 250 feet.

Some luxury car makers are using IR technology now with night vision "heads up" displays, not sure what they are using.

Last edited:
You can, but then you would have to get a camera witch can see the IR light and what it illuminate, our dashcams have IR cut filter.

Allso at least here you would have to use light in the 940 Nm wavelength as the 840 Nm is visible and red light on the front of the car is not allowed here.
And 940 Nm wavelength have lesser reach then its 840 Nm counterpart.

And i have to agree the IR light fade pretty quick, but i can see the IR lasers my PTZ camera use have quite nice range :D

No power on the 2 IR lasers.
192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2014-12-29-07-34-58.jpg

Power on the 2 IR lasers, distance to building 120 M
192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2014-12-29-07-34-36.jpg

Been playing with the same idea, but the problem is getting the image projekted up in front of one, have tried to use the 7" headunit, but that feel quite wierd and dangerous not least.

And this is comming from a guy witch had no problem driving a KM or 2 just looking at the mirror on the R side of my car and then steer by the white edge of the road markings, while doing 150 km/h and at night ( summer time or lines would not be visible at 5 in the morning )

As soon as you leave what is the norm for driving behind everything feel strange and take a lot of getting used to.

Edit. i have a 940 nm light that i got for my night hunting, the light from it is easy to see using my IR modified camcorder and the 700 TVL cctv cameras i have been using.
It is just too weak when the light have to go thru all the glass of my huge sight on my rifle, this i have gone around by getting a 10 W IR ermitter that can focus its beam.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281264754929
My pulsar light seem to work fine with dedicated NVG or night sights, but those allso carry a proper light intensifier.
http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/acces-infrared-flashlights/pulsar-940/

Last edited:
Why would you want the image in your HUD You are looking at it through the windscreen so why would you want picture in picture Or am I missing something here

To me the ideal would be a huge image projekted on the windscreen right in front me, the projekted image should then match what you would see with your own eyes.
The kit in the high end mercedes cars is just on the LCD speedo and so to me worthless as you cant drive safe while looking down thry steering wheel at a little screen.
It would be better to me if the sunshade was see thru and a hud, you could then flip it down and have augmented night vision overlaid on what you can actually see.
Or as i have allso toyed with in my grey goo between my ears, the VR headsets and then a camera that is tracking your headmovement, and 3D to maintain spatial awareness.

O and i forgot the IR allso reflect off reflective Danish licenceplates, so you will still have obscured licenceplates at night.
My camera at 8X zoom level focussed on my car in the yard, the licenceplate is just 1 huge white rectangle, i can only reed it if a zoom all the way in on the plate and let the camera ajust itself to the massive ammount of IR light flooding the image ( the 2 IR lasers in my PTZ camera come on at 5X zoom level )

And i dont think its actual lasers in my PTZ just strong and much focussed LED ermitters, there is a clear diffrence looking at the glass lens in front of the 3 pairs of ermitters on my camera.

Last edited:
You are driving a car for gods sake Not a jet fighter or maybe at the speeds you posted perhaps you think you are. Methinks the grey goo is a bit disturbed.

As long as you can see the road at night, why do you need to get night vision of houses etc.

Perhaps you are looking for fairies as well.

:) i can see what i need, but just for the hell of it it could be nice to drive the car in total darkness, or rather in the IR light.

Anyway for my part its just playing around,

So you think its funny to drive a car at night with no lights at speed just for the hell of it . Glad I dont live in the same country, we have enough maniacs here already

:) i can see what i need, but just for the hell of it it could be nice to drive the car in total darkness, or rather in the IR light.

Anyway for my part its just playing around,
Dont worry, in near future google robot will drive you car and you can hug and kiss your girlfriend in the back seat:)

Dont worry, in near future google robot will drive you car and you can hug and kiss your girlfriend in the back seat:)

Only if my wife doesn't find out. ;)

None of the cameras I have ever personally used even have the IR cut filter, without that the camera cannot see IR lights to begin with so the entire project is doomed from the start for most cameras.

Anyone know of a dashcam with a real working IR cut filter? Usually when that kicks in you go to black and white only as colors are distorted and I'd prefer color over slightly longer distance B&W video. Also, like other have stated you'd have to have some amazing IR lights to be any better than your headlights would already be putting out. I work with lots of CCTV cameras and IR is pretty weak compared to a headlight until you hit $400 IR emitters. Raytec makes some awesome IR lights. It is just a red glow, tell the cops your turbo was running hot....

The cheaper dashcams I've seen even have fake IR lights on them, I use one daily in fact, but the IR lights are fakes which makes me laugh.

Just out of general interest i made this fast experiment.
First, there is two kind of filters, one that block only ir light, and other which block only visible light, ir-pass filter can be made from developed film negative which looks totally black. Ok, i have one old dvr which is very bad at night, first i took lens out and took off ir-filter from lense, then i put lense back to camera and to outside of lense i attached ir-pass filter to block visible light. Below is very bad sample video, camera is probably out of focus but you can get some info from it. In real life hole scenery is totally black, this light you can see there is from my security camera ir light, and light that's moving is my flashlight with ir-led bulb on it.
Couple things, in totally dark everything is dark even at ir, and in daylight this is some kind of monochrome black and white, can see through some clothes though, as everybody knows;)

Back