Xiaomi 16000 mAh Power Bank

An update, charge time today is taking about 12 hours from completely empty (low voltage cut off). With the included white Xiaomi cable the charging time is faster yet the Nexus 7 2A adapter gets very very hot and battery gets warm so I'm using the Nexus 7 adapter and a standard microUSB cable which keeps everything cool. Not sure how the cable affects charge speed.

Here are the specs (taken from https://lesterchan.net/blog/2014/12/29/xiaomi-mi-16000mah-power-bank/)
image.jpg

A picture of the bottom confirms the 10800mAh @5.1V 1A spec that Dashmellow posted about. Fast charging at 2.1A (high power devices like the iPad2) will lower output.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't find the "real" capacity for the Xiaomi 10400mAh @5V :(...which I can use with my Mobius on motion detect for ~20-24 hours.

Anyway, the 16000mAh is next on my shopping list. I'm curious how long can it keep the Mobius alive...

I really think Xiaomi deserves some kudos for printing the 10800 mAh @5v spec right on the battery bank case.

good that they did as the 16000 is misleading otherwise, I'm sure plenty list battery capacity rather than rated output though

good that they did as the 16000 is misleading otherwise, I'm sure plenty list battery capacity rather than rated output though
I think all the competition give the output at battery voltage, however that puts these new cells at a disadvantage since they operate at a higher voltage than older cells and so give less amps for a given power output!

What they should have done was put the number of watt hours on the back, that actually tells you how much power is output and gives the same figure whatever the voltage it is measured at.

Taken from another review of the power bank (http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revi...view-get-it-if-you-need-charge-2-devices-fast)

A word on capacity

I’ve also noticed that Xiaomi has (for the first time?) listed a typical output capacity (over 5V/1A) for this power bank: 10,800mAh. This number is important because it’s a better representation of how many times the power bank is able to charge a device.

Mi-16000mAh-label.jpg

Rated capacity at 1A/5.1V is 10,800mAh, with a conversion efficiency of over 90%.

To digress a bit, know that the 16,000mAh is the capacity at 3.75V; hence, the power bank has a total energy of 60,000mWh (milliwatt-hour) or 60Wh (watt-hour). But then, the output is done over 5.1V. At this voltage, the capacity is actually about 11,765mAh. And after factoring in the 90 to 93% conversion efficiency that Xiaomi claims (this refers more to the internal circuit board), we get a range (10,588 to 10,941mAh) that’s close to this 10,800mAh number. Note too that this is possible under a 1A current. Both the total output capacity and circuit conversion efficiency will be lower during 2.1A fast charging, due to more energy lost.

The above is why Xiaomi says the power bank is able to charge the 3,100mAh Redmi Note 4G smartphone 3.5 times (3,100mAh x 3.5 = 10,850mAh), instead of 5 times, because it’s simply not a case of 16,000mAh divided by 3,100mAh. Not using the Redmi Note? Other numbers include the ability to fully recharge the iPhone 6 about 5 times, and the iPad Mini 2.5 times. Of course, these are under ideal circumstances. Your mileage is likely going to vary once you factor in other variables like your mobile device’s internal circuitry and the battery’s health.

And lest I forget, the 16,000mAh Mi Power Bank retains the 2A micro-USB input for recharging its own cells. Like the other power banks in the series, an AC adapter isn’t part of the package, so you’ve to source your own. With a 2A/5V adapter, topping the power bank’s charge would take about 9 hours; with a 1A/5V adapter, it’s 14.5 hours. For what it’s worth, I found that it was easier to hit the 2A with a Samsung 2A/5V charger than with an Apple 10W (2.1A/5.1V) or 12W (2.4A/5.2V) iPad charger. And no, it won’t charge any faster with a Quick Charge 2.0charger like the Motorola Turbo Charger and HTC Rapid Charger 2.0, or a Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger.

What they should have done was put the number of watt hours on the back, that actually tells you how much power is output and gives the same figure whatever the voltage it is measured at.

if they were going to do that then they might as well write it in hieroglyphics, 99.9% of customers aren't going to make any sense out of providing figures in watt hours

True, this isn't only a Xiaomi issue, every pack with 18650s is based on 3.7V so I agree with @Dashmellow, kudos for printing the 5V spec on the pack. I think true capacity is hard to know, there are too many variables and most people won't understand them.

if they were going to do that then they might as well write it in hieroglyphics, 99.9% of customers aren't going to make any sense out of providing figures in watt hours
Most people have their household electricity bills measured in watt hours or normally kilowatt hours.

A lot of powerbanks do actually give watt hours but normally hidden in the small print of the specifications.

58/60 Wh
image.jpg

Most people have their household electricity bills measured in watt hours or normally kilowatt hours.

A lot of powerbanks do actually give watt hours but normally hidden in the small print of the specifications.

"A lot of powerbanks". Do you even own a powerbank? The Xiaomi is certainly the only one I've seen that puts this kind of data on the bank itself. Many powerbanks don't even come with much in the way of written specs, much less "small print".

thanks, I'll be able to compare that to my power bill at home and I'll easily know how many times I could charge an iPhone or run a Mobius while parked :p

they seem to have all possibilities covered, except perhaps the hieroglyphics ;)

Hahaha... my 30,000mah doesn't have any other spec printed so it must be 30,000mah. :D

Man, more than half of Xiaomi Mi Power Banks are fakes.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-counterfeits-as-fake-products-eat-into-sales

Sales of the company’s Mi Power Bank battery pack for smartphones hit 14.6 million units last year, less than half what the total should have been, Chief Executive Officer Lei Jun said at a press conference at the company’s headquarters in Beijing Thursday.

“What is the biggest problem? There are many fakes,” Lei said. “If there were no counterfeits, our sales would be double or triple. The product has been recognized by everyone.”

enjoy,
Mtz

Yep, that's why Xiaomi posts a video to show how to spot a fake and have a verification number on the box.

Also, 24,99 USD on GearBest.

Gosh, so many spammers with affiliate links here....

Anyway, I bought this power bank, and I am very satisfied with it. Its a bit too heavy for my taste, but charges well and so far did not have any problems.
I only hate the LED lights that are flashing quite often.

Gosh, so many spammers with affiliate links here....

Anyway, I bought this power bank, and I am very satisfied with it. Its a bit too heavy for my taste, but charges well and so far did not have any problems.
I only hate the LED lights that are flashing quite often.

You sure have a good point about the affiliate spammers here.

Back