Xiaomi Smart Dashcam - Screen Flickering ?

uriel250

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Basically since the day I had received the dashcam from aliexpress (about two years ago), I had that annoying issue.
The serial number of my camera is CN version, but for some reasons that firmware is US version - I never changed it.
I heard that's not good to have US firmware on CN serial number dashcam so I tried to revert it back to CN firmware but then it will be stuck on the pink screen and will not go further. So I reinstalled the US firmware and everything is working perfect.

At night it works perfect, but during daylight (Not direct sunlight towards the lens) this issue happens. I also attached a video for you so you can check it.
If I cover the lens with my hand, it will stop for a second, but then when it sees sunlight it will again do it.

Does it has something to do with the sdcard ? I am using a SanDisk Extreme 32GB. Should I buy another SD Card and give it a try or it's gonna be pointless because it is something inside the camera itself ? Like capacitor or something ?

no reason to have it on, just generates more heat for no reason, yeah it shouldn't do that but better to use the screensaver function and don't look at it anyway

no reason to have it on, just generates more heat for no reason, yeah it shouldn't do that but better to use the screensaver function and don't look at it anyway
If I am not mistaken I used it and it still did it in the record when I connected it to my PC. But I will give it another try.
But isn't it supposed to work with it as well ?

image sensor maybe, could be a firmware bug in the AWB, could just be faulty, if you have a Chinese version with US firmware loaded there's no telling what has been done to it

image sensor maybe, could be a firmware bug in the AWB, could just be faulty, if you have a Chinese version with US firmware loaded there's no telling what has been done to it
Probably I bought it from a scammer on AliExpress ... Is it worth to invest in new SD Card just to test it before throwing the camera to trash ?

The thing is that it has CN serial, but US firmware, and when I try to install CN firmware it will install it then when it restarts it will not go past the pink screen if you got what I mean ...

Probably I bought it from a scammer on AliExpress ... Is it worth to invest in new SD Card just to test it before throwing the camera to trash ?
highly unlikely to be anything to do with the memory card, power supply is more likely, try a different power supply and see if any change

The thing is that it has CN serial, but US firmware, and when I try to install CN firmware it will install it then when it restarts it will not go past the pink screen if you got what I mean ...
yeah they have a screwed up system which I don't really understand, all they do is make things harder for themselves, and (more importantly) harder for customers

highly unlikely to be anything to do with the memory card, power supply is more likely, try a different power supply and see if any change

yeah they have a screwed up system which I don't really understand, all they do is make things harder for themselves, and (more importantly) harder for customers
I will try to swap SD Card with my action camera SD Card just in case ...

If it does not work, which reliable dashcam would you recommend me to buy ? In the 100$ range. I need something fairly wide because I use it in a truck.

Last edited:
The flicking in your video does look like a bad electrical connection some where. This can happen if the dashcam is not mounted securely or if one of the connections is faulty/lose. If it is hard wired in check the earth connection. Inspect the USB plugs and socket closely. The mount for the YI is not that secure and does have a tendency to vibrate a lot. Regular plug and unplugging can weaken the USB connection. If it is a bad connection another dashcam on the same circuit may show the same symptoms.
As for a recommendation for a wide view I would look at the Viofo A119v2 which is on offer at the moment at Viofo website. Due to the soon to be released A119v3 which will have a narrower field of view.

Have you tried Emergency aid firmware?
Have you tried Emergency aid firmware and then Upgrade firmware?
You could also try to do Emergency aid firmware and then the older version firmware. Try to check with different USB cable too and phone charger 1a min!

Back