Xiaomi Yi waterproof case foggy footage

jmpas1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Xiaomi Yi inside a waterproof case (sitting on top of my front hood car) driving around I reviewed the footage
and after 20mn I'm slowly getting cloudy (foggy) footage.
could it be heat condensation? anyone experience this?

Just did a recording home and let the camera go after a while a light fog started to appear inside the case in front of the lens.. bumer.
is this a defective case?

Thanks

Attachments

• cam-fog.jpg
    cam-fog.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
IDK, i'm used to put in ANY waterproof case a bag of silica gel that takes care of any water vapors. Try it. Also try, if your case is waterproof at all - just sink it in the bath with a piece of a paper for a longer time period & see if the paper is still dry after you take the case out.

IDK, i'm used to put in ANY waterproof case a bag of silica gel that takes care of any water vapors. Try it. Also try, if your case is waterproof at all - just sink it in the bath with a piece of a paper for a longer time period & see if the paper is still dry after you take the case out.

Thanks Andy_S, I will try that to know if the case is waterproof. but the fogging appear after awhile when the camera really heat up.
Is a bag of silica gel will fit with the camera?

Is a bag of silica gel will fit with the camera?
I doubt it. There usually isn't much space inside a waterproof case after you fitted in the camera.

you can always rip the bag open and dump these balls in the case around the camera ;)

that's not really advisable since the silica gel can go to the lens area, the result would be that you will have a ruined image/shot.

try one of these here. im not sure if these works or not since i haven't tried them.

Last edited:
This is a common issue with waterproof cases. There are different approaches, some people use silica gel bags , taking off some balls so it fits. Some other people buy some re-usable sleeves to keep humidity under control and there's a homemade solution some people say it works ( i haven't tried it though) , which is wrapping the camera with tin foil, except the lens part.

I could finally test the waterproof case yesterday, and it's foggy after a while. So considering to put some kind of silica gel in it.
Remove the battery cover, there is enough place to keep the silica gel.

just what i meant. And the silica bag will keep the battery in place.

Came across this thread today via good ol google as was having the same problem with this camera and a waterproof case - tried the silica gel pack as mentioned above and that did improve the fogging, but still fogged up to a degree.

What has worked 100% is leaving the silica gel there and removing the plastic seal that goes round the centre of the case in the middle. By doing this, no more fogging now on a 30 minute record test, whilst in the garden :)

Just wanted to sign up to this page to let you know.

Cheers

and is it still waterproof? ;)

Ah, of course that would be the difference ( I haven't looked to see what type of forum this actually is) for my usage it wouldnt need to be waterproof. Am certain that by removing the seal that it would remove its waterproof qualities :(

Ah, yes, you just need hardened gasket :)

Use silica or spary some de-moisture liquir

Back