XXXXXX boxes - bug fix

I was wondering if someone may have entered too many characters in Car Number and or Custom Text.
Thus all those Xs appeared.
I just used Car Number, 4 letters and 3 numbers, but never used Custom Text and no problems.

if someone may have entered too many characters in Car Number and or Custom Text.

Nope, that was not the case. I had the XXXX problem, but I hadn't used the custom text or car number at all.

I was wondering if someone may have entered too many characters in Car Number and or Custom Text.
Thus all those Xs appeared.
I just used Car Number, 4 letters and 3 numbers, but never used Custom Text and no problems.
The commonalities I saw with Car Number were the location of the X-Boxes on the screen, the approximate size of the letters, and the fact that the X-boxes were displayed at the same time as the other over-lay status indicators. Otherwise, there were up to 13 X-boxes, all visible only when there was a picture on the LCD as opposed to the hash, but there were 11 possible characters in the Car Number. The X-boxes were black while the car number (like all other over-lay status indicators) was white. When you exceed 11 characters in the car number, the cursor just wraps around to the first character.

Last edited:
didn't need to have any text in the field but the problem was related to this menu option

It’s good news the Xs problem is solved.
However it intrigues me why my A119S Ver 2 hasn’t had that problem.
I used the Car Plate and put in my license with 4 letters and 3 numbers (no spaces).
The firmware is A119S_170622_V1.7
I’ve used my dash cam for 88 straight days and not a hiccup.
Any thoughts or possible explanation?

It’s good news the Xs problem is solved.
However it intrigues me why my A119S Ver 2 hasn’t had that problem.
I used the Car Plate and put in my license with 4 letters and 3 numbers (no spaces).
The firmware is A119S_170622_V1.7
I’ve used my dash cam for 88 straight days and not a hiccup.
Any thoughts or possible explanation?
V2’s have had this issue as well.

whether you used that field or not there was only a very small percentage of users that ever saw the problem, it wasn't affecting everyone so plenty of others will be in the same boat as you
Wheeew!, thank you.

Update Edit: Page 15, back page of A119s Quick Start Guide manual states:
Plate Stamp : Imprints a customized set of 6 digits to the recorded video. Useful to add license plates or identifying features.

Quick Start Guide manual needs to be updated, I used 7 digits.

Last edited:
Wheeew!, thank you.

Update Edit: Page 15, back page of A119s Quick Start Guide manual states:
Plate Stamp : Imprints a customized set of 6 digits to the recorded video. Useful to add license plates or identifying features.

Quick Start Guide manual needs to be updated, I used 7 digits.
Most car license plates in California are 7 characters. But now I use Car Number to record the recording mode and resolution/fps, which might look like "PM 1080P60", PM being "Parking Mode". Since firmware changes have been coming fairly frequently, I use Custom Text Stamp to record the firmware version, e.g., "FW V2.2" and there is room to abbreviate another setting or two, particularly useful during testing. I have the Camera Model Stamp ON because I have both the A119 and A119S and use them interchangeably. The downside is that sometimes the text doesn't get updated for short term settings changes. Ultimately for me, all worthy recordings will probably end up in the same pile (file folder), so it would be nice to have a chronological listing of recordings with the camera name and significant settings recorded right there on the video.

Last edited:
http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware

As per the changelog version 2.2 fixes the XXXXXX boxes issue.

@viofo

So was it the Car No. field or power related, or something else altogether. I'm sure a few of us are curious to know.

Can you help me out please? I followed the link to try to get the new 2.2 firmware listed for the A119S. I downloaded it and it is not a zip or bin file...?? How can i use this or find 2.2 that i can use? Thx in advance..

Can you help me out please? I followed the link to try to get the new 2.2 firmware listed for the A119S. I downloaded it and it is not a zip or bin file...?? How can i use this or find 2.2 that i can use? Thx in advance..
It was a zip file the other day. What does the file icon look like?

I think I finally got it to work. I'm just getting to old for this stuff I guess. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
You are not doing anything wrong. The link on the Website and the one from CaptureYourAction are the same - the file cannot be opened.
I sent Viofo a message (via their Website) about this on Friday when I found the problem. Hopefully they'll fix the link shortly!

@viofo - Is this something you can look into and resolve, please? Many thanks.;)

A119S_171121_V2.2.7z

It's a 7z file, Winzip should work. I used The Unarchiver on my Mac, the default Archive Utility doesn't recognize the file type.

I host the file from my own Dropbox account. I did not have any issue unzipping it, but will double check to see if there is an issue. I used Winzip to open it the other day.
Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the download box to appear after you’ve clicked the firmware link.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rayny2e A119S 12
F A119S 2
Back