YI 360 VR new Camera (dual 220 degree lenses)

Personally, I've not seen a distortion free view of 360, and from what little I have seen, the resolution and detail are much reduced. Then there's the hardware cost. Viewing 360 on a pc like I have, there's no additional cost but viewing in VR using a headset means several hundred £/ E / $ on a headset.

This is a classic example, of proper 360 degree video (you can spin the camera around with the mouse to any view direction) - at 1st glance actually very good for distortion although the subject matter is often far from the camera, but the stitching join can be seen in places and the resolution and sharpness are very low for HD video to my eyes:

I hope this new camera works out for Yi. I'm just not personally convinced that VR as it stands now, is the next big thing. Maybe with higher resolutions and distortion free lensing, who knows...

Last edited:
It's more the "Nokia Syndrome"....when a company dominate a market it get into a mindset like your empire will last forever and you do not recognize potential competitors as such looking down on them....and the company management did not keep up to expectations, I cannot believe they were not able to deliver the GP5 at launch when they had demands and missed lot of Christmas sales....
Fail to innovate-Stagnate!

GoPro are heading in a different direction atm. I've read rumours of VR and apps that share direct to social media.

Personally, I see this route as a mistake as GoPro's selling point has always been quality. Maybe they've realised they can't compete with China prices from companies who are catching up, so are heading more for feature differentiation instead of out and out video quality.
Gopro can't live with the current competition! Especially Yi's! The bottom's fallen out of the stock price!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
kamkar YI 4K+ Action Camera 180
Back