550 Interference with DAB radio?!!

Scratch that...

Just heard from Blackvue and they are sending me out a new DR550 AV Cable with the new shielding to test as my Audi has DAB.

Will let you know when its in and what the outcome is :p

Great, be interested to hear how you get on.... and if you get any spare feel free to send one my way to test ;)
Otherwise I'll need to know how much they are to buy! lol

Hey chaps!

Quick update - Received the new upgraded AV Cable from Blackvue this morning to test for them! Going to whip it into one of our cars that has DAB later today and put it through its paces for a week.
At the moment I have the normal Cable with 2 Ferrites and cable looping and that seems to be working quite well.

Once we know the new cable is working well I will let them know!

Cheers :)

a friend of me told me that he will receive the new cable for free in a few days.
vendor from the cam was Pitstar.com from the Netherlands.

Last edited:
a friend of me told me that he will receive the new cable for free in a few days.
vendor from the cam was Pitstar.com from the Netherlands.

The structure of how Blackvue works across the globe has now changed. Respective countries now have sole distributors for that country rather than have loads of them. It's designed to keep the market place safe with one main entity that looks after the respective country.

I highly doubt that PitStar will honour new cables for the UK.

These sole distributors have been explicitly told that they can only sell their products in their countries... If a seller approaches another distributor they will be redirected to the one for their country.

The sole distributor for the UK is LMK DISTRIBUTION - http://www.blackvueshop.co.uk
The sole distributor for the Netherlands is TJM Supplies - http://www.blackvue-nederland.nl/

--

For all the guys in the UK, I have been told that new DR550 Cables will be provided free of charge from BlackvueShop once the testing has been completed. A small fee for postage and packaging will be applicable but that's understandable. You'll need to know the date of purchase, where you purchased from and the serial number.

Doesn't matter where you purchased within the UK as long as they are UK units and NOT imports. Being sole distributor they are looking after the AV Cable situation.

I bought mine in Amazon Germany, The seller was however Pitstar Netherlands. They confirmed to me today that they are sending me the new cable free of charge.

I find it really good that Pittasoft and their dealers acknowledges problems and offers solutions. This is unlike Apple who never acknowledges problems and fixes the same problems silently with updates. Sorry that I am bringing in this out of context topic. This is based on my anger with Apple in the last 2 months after buying a new iMac.

Scratch that...

Just heard from Blackvue and they are sending me out a new DR550 AV Cable with the new shielding to test as my Audi has DAB.

Will let you know when its in and what the outcome is :p

Hi, do you have some results already out of your testing?

Got the new cable today. It has the exact same number as the old one (hopefully Pittasoft hasn't accidently sent the old cable again). The interference problem seems to be better, but is not completely gone. This means, the weakest channels still get interruptions. The interruptions are fully gone if I disconnect the rear cam. Will test further and update.

sound not very good, Strange thing here I have tried something and wondered if someone else may want to try it when the new cables arrive...

I found some old TV Brown Coax cable... you will need about a foot maybe a bit more.
Now the old Coax is so easy to strip, pull the inner plastic core and solid wire out leaving the outer sheath and the earth shielding...
I put some PVA Glue down inside a very watery mix and letting it dry first...
use a good pair of sharp scissors and cut all the way down one side of the shielding, you will get a few bits falling out but if you try not to bend too much it should all stay in place.

once you have the outer screen cut down the full length slip it over the rear cameras cable, around the area where your aerial is. in my case the aerial is right above my rear view mirror. I have also attatched a small amount of the cable to the earth point above my rear view mirror. it seems a little better, but I have not yet done a full test. eg signal quality test.

What's the best way to scientifically test interference? I mean what kind of device or hardware/software do you need?

Not something you could test yourself without the right equipment

I do understand that. My question was what these equipments might me. We did have a technical post from pit0711 here

Last edited by a moderator:
I do understand that. My question was what these equipments might me. We did have a technical post from pit0711 here

not sure what he's using there but that's not how it's done in a lab, it's done in an enclosed chamber

not sure what he's using there but that's not how it's done in a lab, it's done in an enclosed chamber so that there is no outside influence

It is basically a frequency scanner with an aerial attached, you can use an oscilloscope but then you have to know how they work and my brain cant remember the how to use an oscilloscope lesson in science.

I beileve that you can get frequency scanners that display the radio waves on screen for around £100 ish in the UK from the likes of Maplin electronics or radio shack if there still in the US.

It is basically a frequency scanner with an aerial attached, you can use an oscilloscope but then you have to know how they work and my brain cant remember the how to use an oscilloscope lesson in science.

I beileve that you can get frequency scanners that display the radio waves on screen for around £100 ish in the UK from the likes of Maplin electronics or radio shack if there still in the US.

I was thinking about buying the black Vue 550 again and trying it with the new cable as it killed my DAB last time but after reading these threads I don't think I will bother. What other front and rear cam set up is there or do they all have the same problem

Im looking at the buying two gps cameras both the same make, it will be easy to join the videos up and they will both work on there own, no connection problems.

I have been looking at the Lucas LK-7700 cameras, you can get two for around the £165 mark and there quality is much better.
However If I get enough cash together next month I may Opt for two of the LK-7900 £295 I think I am going to get one for now.

Got the new cable today. It has the exact same number as the old one (hopefully Pittasoft hasn't accidently sent the old cable again). The interference problem seems to be better, but is not completely gone. This means, the weakest channels still get interruptions. The interruptions are fully gone if I disconnect the rear cam. Will test further and update.

Update after further testing:
The new cable definitely makes a difference compared to the old and is a huge step forward. It does affect DVB-T when signals are weak. Maybe I could live with this. Thanks to Pittasoft for acknowledging the problem and providing a fix for free. Not all manufacturers does this.

I am also thinking of using the connectors from the old cable with a better shielded wire and making my own one. I need to find a thin cable and not the ones used for home TV. Does anyone know more about the specs of such a co-axial cable. The connector used by Blackvue is the standard "MCX connector" I guess.

Back